Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holding slams minnows

Holding slams minnows

I see Brian Lara's No 1 fan has now probably annoyed all of Bermuda with his comments about the WC minnows (including Bermuda) saying they shouldn't be there. So do you think he's right? Is 16 teams too many? Should there be 14 (as in 2003), 12 (as in 1996 and 1999) or just the big countries (as in 1992) I'd like to see what you think. Personally I think 16 is right as it cuts down on mismatches and all the teams (except maybe Bermuda) all have a match they have a realistic chance of winning. Besides, the minnows often supply unlikely heroes - remember Austin Codrington, JB Burger (who gave England a fright in 2003) and John Davison. But what do you think?
    Last edited by Poker Boy; 21-02-2007 at 06:45 AM.
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I actually like all the minnows in the WC. It is the World Cup after all. Don't give them ODI status, but 16 teams is nice IMO.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I don't have any problem with the current format (I do have a problem with ANY game involving a non-ODI-standard team being classed ODI), I think it's impossibly better than those used in 1996, 2003 and 1999 - get the one-sided games out of the way first, even if it does mean having 8 substandard teams in the competition.

There's no harm in having the substandard teams play up-to-standard teams if it's just making a quick, graceful exit and enjoying the time they spend there.

This current format is the best used since 1992, as I've said more than a few times. The Super Eight and the 1 group-game involving ODI-standard teams in each group should be great viewing.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

........... by the way.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I think the format is a fairly decent compromise between spreading the cricketing gospel & ring-fencing the quality of the premier one-day tournament.

Obviously the group stages look a bit unnecessary on paper & I can't really see there being any major upsets, but for cricket to grow as a sport in the non-test playing countries they have to have a chance to progress.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Ha! Fat chance they have of progressing.

The only way they're going to get better, incidentally, is not to play a couple of games in a World Cup but to have structures put in place and, shock-horror, get people to watch and play the game en masse in the country.

Until that happens, expecting anything from a country against genuine international-playing teams is just crazy.

But being thrashed constantly isn't the way to get better.

I think that some of those minor teams playing in the World Cup will hopefully give them a bit of media and publicity in that country, to help create a better financial situation for the cricket boards, allowing them to put better structures into place. As well as the prizemoney they'd have earnt by making it to the last 16.
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 21-02-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Well that didn't even seem to happen with Kenya in the last tourney, never mind Namibia...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well that didn't even seem to happen with Kenya in the last tourney, never mind Namibia...
    It's pretty common knowledge that Kenya's cricketing administration leaves a fair bit to be desired.

Exactly, and while such a situation exists (is there any evidence it's any different in Namibia or, for example, Bermuda?) there's little chance of a country progressing from substandard to up-to-standard. Hell, the WICB are having a decent stab at making a transformation in the other direction using the tool of inept administration!

Tarring with same brush.

Another problem is that the one country who could have successfully progressed from associate member (or similar status) to full member, thus setting some example for others to follow on how to progress through the ranks, is now a basket case.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Ha! Fat chance they have of progressing.
    I didn't mean in the World Cup itself; for smaller nations progress is just being able to pit themselves against the best.

If cricket is to grow in the nations where it's a minority sport the biggest stage is arguably the best way of creating interest. Qualifying for the World Cup certainly gave Association Football a lift in Australia.

Well apparently it's always been a bigger sport there than Rugby Union...

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Tarring with same brush.
    Tarring who?

Holding didn't slam the minnows at all.

Such a misleading title on Cricinfo.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information