• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African World XI

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I havent checked to se if all the guys made their squads, but SASI (my 2nd thread based on this months issue :) ) listed a team of players born in SA that would more than likely be in the squads of other nations.

It is interesting how they have spread around the world. How close could any other nation come to making a team?

Born In SA but Play for Another WC Qualified Nation

1. Strauss (ENG)
2. KP (ENG)
3. Ryan Ten Doeschate (NETH)
4. Eric Szwarczynski (NETH)
5. Van Nierop (NETH)
6. Billy Stelling (NETH)
7. Alexei Kervezee (NETH)
8. Strydom (ZIM)
9. Saleem Mukuddem (BERM)
10. Andre Botha (IRE)
11. Dewald Nel (SCOT)

It kinda makes sense that the 2 countries with the strongest historical links with SA benefit the most.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I havent checked to se if all the guys made their squads, but SASI (my 2nd thread based on this months issue :) ) listed a team of players born in SA that would more than likely be in the squads of other nations.

It is interesting how they have spread around the world. How close could any other nation come to making a team?

1. Strauss (ENG)
2. KP (ENG)
5. Van Nierop (NETH)
6. Billy Stelling (NETH)
8. Strydom (ZIM)
10. Andre Botha (IRE)
11. Dewald Nel (SCOT)

It kinda makes sense that the 2 countries with the strongest historical links with SA benefit the most.
These Dutch like their SAfrican imports, eh...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Strydom isn't actually in the Zim squad.. so I'll take that as licence to cheat a little with my Australian side - I'll include Sinclair and Geraint Jones who have played ODIs fairly recently and were available for selection.

1. Lou Vincent (NZ)
2. John Davison (CAN)
3. Matthew Sinclair (NZ)
4. Scott Styris (NZ)
5. Geraint Jones (ENG)
6. Jeremy Bray (IRE)
7. Trent Johnston (IRE)
8. Glenn Rogers (SCOT)
9. Steven Welsh (SCOT)
10. Dave Langford-Smith (IRE)
11. Paul Hoffman (SCOT)

Steulen

International Regular

1. Strauss (ENG)
2. KP (ENG)
5. Van Nierop (NETH)
6. Billy Stelling (NETH)
8. Strydom (ZIM)
10. Andre Botha (IRE)
11. Dewald Nel (SCOT)

Van Nierop isn't in the squad and Kervezee is from Namibia.

Actually, the Dutch situation is slightly less bad than it may appear. RTD is half-Dutch (Dutch father), same goes for Reekers who's just half a Kiwi.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Van Nierop isn't in the squad and Kervezee is from Namibia.
Actually the place where Kervezee was born, Walvis Bay, was part of South Africa until 1994. It is now Namibia, but when he was born there its was South Africa and he was therefore born in RSA. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Reeeeeeeeeeeeally struggling for an English-born XI:

1) Fraser Watts (SCO)
2) AN Other
3) AN Other
4) AN Other
5) AN Other
6) Andrew Symonds (AUS)
7) AN Other
8) AN Other
9) AN Other
10) AN Other
11) AN Other

Actually with two South Africans, a Kenyan & an Irishman in our squad we're a net consumer of cricket talent! :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely even you can't find anything wrong with an Irishman in our squad? :huh:

Ireland is in cricketing terms part of the cricket-playing territory known as "England".

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Surely even you can't find anything wrong with an Irishman in our squad? :huh:

Ireland is in cricketing terms part of the cricket-playing territory known as "England".
Northern Ireland may be, but Eire is a seperate country. Hence Master Joyce having to undergo the qualification period which (say) Simon Jones or Dougie Brown didn't.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Politically EIRE is a separate country (hell, so are Wales, Scotland and NI in some terms) but in cricketing terms it's not. Everyone from the British Isles who's ever got good at cricket has wanted to play for the team (misleadingly) called "England". That hasn't mattered up till now but with I$C$C looking to spread the "Globalisation" myth ever more aggressively at the mo, I'm left :wallbash:ing that we didn't just bloody well call our team The British Isles all those years ago...

If Ireland wasn't considered a separate cricketing country, Joyce and anyone else wouldn't have had to qualify. None of the Irishmen of yore ever did.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Ireland wasn't considered a separate cricketing country, Joyce and anyone else wouldn't have had to qualify. None of the Irishmen of yore ever did.
Yeah, but to be fair most of them played for us prior to the Irish War of Independence when they were as British (politically speaking) as you or I.

You can't just ignore 80-odd years of history.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
well not really...Ireland is a separate country, Scotland, Wales and NI arent, pretty simple really
Err, they are. And Jamaica and Barbados are, too - doesn't mean they have to qualify to play for West Indies. Nor that Rhodesians ever had to qualify for South Africa.

In cricketing terms, Ireland is not a separate country and never has been until I$C$C tried to make the game appear more Global than it is by trumpeting them (and Scotland, in case you missed it) as such.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, but to be fair most of them played for us prior to the Irish War of Independence when they were as British (politically speaking) as you or I.

You can't just ignore 80-odd years of history.
History of what? What did the Irish War Of Independence have to do with the game of cricket?

You must recognise that political identity and sporting ones are not always the same thing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
History of what? What did the Irish War Of Independence have to do with the game of cricket?

You must recognise that political identity and sporting ones are not always the same thing.
Quite a bit, as it happens. Back when Ireland was under the British yolk cricket was fairly big amongst the moneyed Anglo-Irish, Dublin University even used to play First Class cricket. Since Irish independence Anglo sports have declined in popularity as Ireland embraced its Irishness. You may've read that recently Croke Park has allowed Rugby & Football to be played there for the first time since the original Bloody Sunday when British controlled Black-and-Tans killed 14 innocent people (including one player) at a Gaelic Football match. Political & sporting identities aren't necessarily the same, but neither are they mutually exclusive; in such a climate it's easy to see why a sport that was seen as belonging to the hated imperialist oppressor lost popularity.

It isn't coincidence that there's been over 80 years since the last Irishman played for us. Ironically, the resurgence in Irish cricket is probably due to the success Ireland have had as a separate cricketing identity on the world stage.