Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 156

Thread: World Cup Predictions

  1. #31
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    4,412
    World Cup Winners: SA
    "Big 8" side to perform most poorly: India
    Player with most runs: Jacques Kallis
    Player with best strike-rate: Dhoni
    Player with biggest score of tournament: Jayasuriya - Berserk against a minnow
    Bowler with most wickets: Ntini
    Bowler with best economy rate: Pollock
    Bowler with best performance of tournament: Murali - 7/8-fer v England in Super 8
    Tournament's emerging player: Ross Taylor,
    Most disappointing player: Ricky Ponting
    Surprise package (Team): New Zealand - Close semi loss or final for mine
    Biggest disappointment: Poor bowing out for McGrath

  2. #32
    International Regular oz_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,977
    World Cup Winners: Australia
    "Big 8" side to perform most poorly: Pakistan
    Player with most runs: Ricky Ponting
    Player with best strike-rate: Sanath Jayasuriya
    Player with biggest score of tournament: Chris Gayle
    Bowler with most wickets: Shane Bond
    Bowler with best economy rate: Shaun Pollock
    Bowler with best performance of tournament: Makhaya Ntini
    Tournament's emerging player: Ross Taylor
    Most disappointing player: Mohammed Yousef
    Surprise package: West Indies
    Biggest disappointment: Pakistan
    Member of CW Black
    Goalkeeper for the Northside Power
    NZI Manager in WCC

  3. #33
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    The stage is set for the biggest South Africa choke to date. Australia are suffering blow after blow to what once seemed unbreakable confidence, and South Africa are in incredible form. Pollock is back on top of his game, Ntini is the best seamer in the world, Kallis is bowling well again. The top order batting has found form and Mark Boucher and Ashwell Prince are in the form of their lives.

    So many doors seemed to have opened for South Africa to finally win the Cup. And I don't expect they will. It would go against everything I've come to expect of South Africa.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."


  4. #34
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Expectations are made to change, TBH.

    Until very recently, they hadn't even won a non-ad-hoc series against them.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006


  5. #35
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    10,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    The stage is set for the biggest South Africa choke to date. Australia are suffering blow after blow to what once seemed unbreakable confidence, and South Africa are in incredible form. Pollock is back on top of his game, Ntini is the best seamer in the world, Kallis is bowling well again. The top order batting has found form and Mark Boucher and Ashwell Prince are in the form of their lives.

    So many doors seemed to have opened for South Africa to finally win the Cup. And I don't expect they will. It would go against everything I've come to expect of South Africa.
    I don't necessarily think that just because they have choked before that they will again. Having said that I do think if a less likely team like England, NZ or West Indies made the final against them they (the latter teams) wouldn't feel the pressure quite so much. Obviously being relaxed makes a huge difference in cricket

  6. #36
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Expectations are made to change, TBH.
    Fair enough that Tino Best's Test career will sort itself out then.

  7. #37
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    I don't necessarily think that just because they have choked before that they will again. Having said that I do think if a less likely team like England, NZ or West Indies made the final against them they (the latter teams) wouldn't feel the pressure quite so much. Obviously being relaxed makes a huge difference in cricket
    Just a few months ago the West Indies thrashed South Africa in a semifinal of a major tournament - the Champions Trophy. Whether or not they choked, they were outplayed thoroughly by one of the "less likely" teams.

  8. #38
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Fair enough that Tino Best's Test career will sort itself out then.
    Tino has just another 3 or 4 years... at best.

    South Africa have as long as they have a team playing international cricket... and your lifetime, obviously...

  9. #39
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Tino has just another 3 or 4 years... at best.
    Such is your expectation.

  10. #40
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    10,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Just a few months ago the West Indies thrashed South Africa in a semifinal of a major tournament - the Champions Trophy. Whether or not they choked, they were outplayed thoroughly by one of the "less likely" teams.
    Thats true, but S.A would have been much more suited to the seaming track that NZ and Aust played the other semi on in the CT. But who knows what the wickets will do. Actually now i'm thinking about it, SA may really struggle if there are a few slow decks with their bowling lineup and lack of good slow bowlers.

  11. #41
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    Thats true, but S.A would have been much more suited to the seaming track that NZ and Aust played the other semi on in the CT. But who knows what the wickets will do. Actually now i'm thinking about it, SA may really struggle if there are a few slow decks with their bowling lineup and lack of good slow bowlers.
    Given the form of Jerome Taylor, and what Ian Bradshaw and Dwayne Bravo can do with some assistance, I'm not entirely sure the result would have been too much different. The West Indies entered the game brimming with confidence and in form. Chris Gayle and Shivnarine Chanderpaul were in peak form, with practically everyone having notched a good score in the tournament by then.

    Regardless, the World Cup will, in all likelihood, be played on slow and flat pitches. The seaming track would more than likely be a non-issue.

  12. #42
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    10,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Given the form of Jerome Taylor, and what Ian Bradshaw and Dwayne Bravo can do with some assistance, I'm not entirely sure the result would have been too much different. The West Indies entered the game brimming with confidence and in form. Chris Gayle and Shivnarine Chanderpaul were in peak form, with practically everyone having notched a good score in the tournament by then.

    Regardless, the World Cup will, in all likelihood, be played on slow and flat pitches. The seaming track would more than likely be a non-issue.
    Well, if they are slow and flat, I believe SL are the best value for money and SA the worst given they are 2nd favourites according to the bookies.

  13. #43
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    I'd back chasing teams at this World Cup. I don't expect Sri Lanka to do well batting first. I don't mind being proven wrong though.

    EDIT: I realize the Sri Lanka comment seems a bit random, but I mean "as compared to some of the other teams".

  14. #44
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    10,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    I'd back chasing teams at this World Cup. I don't expect Sri Lanka to do well batting first. I don't mind being proven wrong though.

    EDIT: I realize the Sri Lanka comment seems a bit random, but I mean "as compared to some of the other teams".
    Yep, that old philosophy of win the toss and bat or think about and still bat doesn't really apply these days

  15. #45
    Tim
    Tim is offline
    Cricketer Of The Year Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    7,888
    South Africa have really been talking themselves up, I think they're setting themselves up big time for a horror finish yet again.

    World Cup Winners: Australia
    "Big 8" side to perform most poorly: Pakistan
    Player with most runs: Ricky Ponting
    Player with best strike-rate: Jacob Oram
    Player with biggest score of tournament: Ponting
    Bowler with most wickets: Murali
    Bowler with best economy rate: Vettori
    Bowler with best performance of tournament: Murali
    Tournament's emerging player: Ross Taylor
    Most disappointing player: Glenn McGrath
    Surprise package: New Zealand
    Biggest disappointment: South Africa

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How would you Pick Englands ODI team After the world cup
    By Bob Bamber in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 17-04-2007, 05:02 AM
  2. World Cup 2007 Last For Many Legends
    By miheershah in forum World Cup 2007
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 07:39 AM
  3. controversial
    By sledger in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 01:23 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 28-06-2006, 04:10 PM
  5. The greatest World Cup matches of all-time
    By GIMH in forum 2006 Football World Cup - Germany
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 28-06-2006, 01:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •