• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is the team you dont wanna see winning the World Cup?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't you mumble some claptrap about how the rain affected Australia in that 2nd final v England ...you guys were always gonna lose that game...at least be game enough to admit it
This post?

Australia may well have lost the game anyway, but I don't see how anyone who watched it could argue the rain wasn't a disadvantage to the side chasing. That's the way D/L works though, and it happens to every team. Not sure why you're so bitter about the post, but suit yourself.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
This post?

Australia may well have lost the game anyway, but I don't see how anyone who watched it could argue the rain wasn't a disadvantage to the side chasing. That's the way D/L works though, and it happens to every team. Not sure why you're so bitter about the post, but suit yourself.

Dude, I ain't bitter about anything and I have a lot of faults when it comes to posting comments on this forum (that I freely admit - I am not as eloquent or as knowledgeable as the likes of wpdavid, Jone, Slow Love , yourself etc.) But I do believe strongly in giving credit where its due and you cannot deny that England out and out deserved to win the final series.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dude, I ain't bitter about anything and I have a lot of faults when it comes to posting comments on this forum (that I freely admit - I am not as eloquent or as knowledgeable as the likes of wpdavid, Jone, Slow Love , yourself etc.) But I do believe strongly in giving credit where its due and you cannot deny that England out and out deserved to win the final series.
Wouldn't say for a second that they didn't deserve to win, and that wasn't my intention. It was merely that I felt the game wasn't over when the second rain break came down, and it was disappointing to have it end as it did.

England were very much in the box seat anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd like to see England win it, obv, but after that I'm fairly indifferent.

I suppose for the good of cricket it'd be nice to see someone other than Australia win it, for one country to dominate for so long isn't healthy for any sport. Weighed against that is that they are (still) the best team so if they do win doubtless it will be merited.

pasag

RTDAS
The only team I'd object to winning would be South Africa.

If Australia doesn't win, I'd like to see New Zealand winning it. It's an awesome country and I like it heaps. I've always liked SL as well for some reason, and would like to see them go far. I'd also like to see Pakistan winning it as a sort of overcoming adversity story and a ' **** you' to some of the members here who try and denigrate them in every second post. I wouldn't mind WI or India winning it either. Just not South Africa.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
The only team I'd object to winning would be South Africa.

If Australia doesn't win, I'd like to see New Zealand winning it. It's an awesome country and I like it heaps. I've always liked SL as well for some reason, and would like to see them go far. I'd also like to see Pakistan winning it as a sort of overcoming adversity story and **** you to some of the members here who try and denigrate them in every second post. I wouldn't mind WI or India winning it either. Just not South Africa.
:cool:

Evermind

International Debutant
I wouldn't want to see the following win:

1) Pakistan: Cheats. Shall we count the ways in which this team has found a way of cheating? It might take all night. It'll be a disgrace if they win the cup.

2) Australia: quite sick of them winning, TBH. But I'd rather Australia than Pakistan. I'd like to see their arrogance take a beating, though.

I'd really like to see SA win. I think they deserve it. Kallis, Pollock, Ntini, Boucher, Gibbs...all top quality players who've been around for a long time and they've come achingly close a couple of times before. NZ is another good team, and they have players like Vincent, Oram, Vettori, Bond, who're just likeable...for some reason.

Of the subcontinent teams, I'd like to see SL win the most. They seem like the most hardworking of the 3 teams, and they do push themselves. They also come across as intelligent and somewhat humble.

India? I honestly don't think they deserve it. Sehwag's run out today typifies the attitude and conduct of the whole team. Sluggish, careless, just downright dumb at times - they choke even while running a single! I suppose if they do summon the heart to win the tournament, they'll deserve it, so maybe it's not so bad. Yeah. I wouldn't mind if they won it. But by performance - not by luck.

I'm pretty neutral about WI and England. But I'd take them over Pak and Aus any day. I'd like to see Lara go out with a bang and Collingwood score some big ones. It'd be a good thing to give the game a kick in the butt in their respective countries.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'd also like to see Pakistan winning it as a sort of overcoming adversity story and a ' **** you' to some of the members here who try and denigrate them in every second post.
Mate, there is no call for that type of aggression. You have called me up on being overly aggressive before and you were probably right. Ill try and do it a little less nastily than you did.

People may argue that Pakistan create many, if not all, of their own problems.

I would love SA to win the WC but I obviously have no issue with you not wanting them to do well.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Witness the hysterical over-reaction when Harmison had some success had a few years ago. If I'm not mistake the likes of Robbins and Pickup were among those talking up Harmison bigtime back then....
But hey let's forget that won't we....8-)
This is the same time he was ranked #1 in the World? Over-reaction?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No call for that type of aggression. You have called me up on being overly aggressive before and you were probably right. Ill try and do it a little less nastily than you did.

People may argue that Pakistan create many, if not all, of their own problems.
Haha, I wouldn't put it that way - but I'm rooting for them as well. Highly improbable that they pull it out but if India can't win (and likely won't), I'd rather it be Pakistan far and away ahead of everyone else.

If neither of them can win it, I'd like to see England give it a go. When I first came on, I didn't much care for English cricket team one way or another and I have no idea why I've changed my mind but I've been warming up to players like Cook, Vaughn, etc. I think its mainly the English posters on here whom I like and it's changed my views. Illogical, but thats the way it is.

After that would be Australia, Sri Lanka and West Indies.

Anyway, as long as South Africa don't win it, I'll be reasonably satisfied.

I love Pollock and Kallis, but this was the best moment of 2003 WC for mine:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, I see that most people here on CW don't want India/Australia to win.

But it makes sense because Aussies have won enough, etc.

Also, if India win, we can expect an over-reaction from many of the Indian members (the regulars, the new ones, and the ones who had left but will comeback if India were to win) and most of CW will be swamped with comparisions between the Indian team and the supreme being (like Neil said).

Evermind

International Debutant
I'd also like to see Pakistan winning it as a sort of overcoming adversity story
??!!!

Pakistan winning the cup is "overcoming adversity" as much as OJ Simpson getting away scot-free is "overcoming adversity". Their "problems" are all self-created, and they've already been pampered to death by the governing bodies. The team has repeatedly shown the worst spirit on and off the field and it'd be a disgrace for them to win.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
I think its mainly the English posters on here whom I like and it's changed my views.
Anyway, as long as South Africa don't win it, I'll be reasonably satisfied./QUOTE]
We are only about 2 Saffie posters here, and you don't like us? What have we done/said?
Now my poor feelings are hurt so I'm going to do a Polly.:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Just joking.:cheers: :laugh: