• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Favourites

Who's gonna win it? Go Gut Feeling!

• Australia

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • South Africa

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • India

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • West Indies

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shortpitched713

International Captain
NZ are infinately more likely to win it than England.
Agree, no way England are going to string together the number of wins needed, even if they do have the outstanding performance every once in a while, and I feel that WI are in a similar boat. SA is the strongest contender for Australia by streets.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree, no way England are going to string together the number of wins needed, even if they do have the outstanding performance every once in a while, and I feel that WI are in a similar boat. SA is the strongest contender for Australia by streets.
I think the West Indies proved in the last two Champions Trophy tournaments that they're capable of stringing together victories.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Because you don't have any matchwinners or standouts. A better shout to reach the semis than many sides, but the likelihood of it all coming together for enough games to take the whole thing out is very low.
Our problem is not that we lack "matchwinners" - guys like Bond, Fleming, McCullum and even Vettori and Styris have played that role in the past - but that we've got all the killer instinct of a potato. We have a big problem with winning close games, especially versus Australia, and have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory many times in the past.

On an unrelated note - there's nothing I hate more than when people continue to spout the decade old rubbish that NZ are a "bits and pieces" side. That might have been true in the Rod Latham-Chris Harris-Dipak Patel days but it hasn't been in the last few seasons at least.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bond is a shadow of himself at the moment.
Yes, but to suggest he's suddenly not a proven standout would be stupid.
Taylor has a lot to do before he gets classed as a "matchwinner" or a true standout.
Other than keep going as he has to date, I can't see what.
Vettori is not a matchwinner, as the term goes. He's an economical spinner and a useful batsman, but I don't see him turning many matches in a Collingwood fashion.
Economical bowlers tend to go quite a way to winning matches... and Vettori is certainly a standout in terms of most of the current crop of bowlers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
On an unrelated note - there's nothing I hate more than when people continue to spout the decade old rubbish that NZ are a "bits and pieces" side. That might have been true in the Rod Latham-Chris Harris-Dipak Patel days but it hasn't been in the last few seasons at least.
Chris Harris was (is?) certainly FAR more than a bits-and-pieces player, but I too hate such a spouting-of-assumption.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Other than keep going as he has to date, I can't see what.
Well for one he has to perform against more than three teams. Especially when two of those teams are the West Indies and England. It's a good show for him to have started well against Australia, but he needs to do more than that against more varied opposition.

He also needs to cut out his large number of starts and increases his small number of big innings.
Economical bowlers tend to go quite a way to winning matches... and Vettori is certainly a standout in terms of most of the current crop of bowlers.
An economical spinner is not going to signifcantly push toward winning matches in an attack such as New Zealand's. I'm a Vettori fan, but I don't consider him a "matchwinner".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well for one he has to perform against more than three teams. Especially when two of those teams are the West Indies and England. It's a good show for him to have started well against Australia, but he needs to do more than that against more varied opposition.
Given that they're the only 3 teams he's played in his recent incarnation, I hardly see how that's a fair criticism. There's nothing to suggest he won't perform against everyone, nothing at all.
He also needs to cut out his large number of starts and increases his small number of big innings.
That's quite true, but the more low scores you get the more "matchwinning" ones you're gonna get (if, obviously, you have a high average).
An economical spinner is not going to signifcantly push toward winning matches in an attack such as New Zealand's. I'm a Vettori fan, but I don't consider him a "matchwinner".
An economical bowler (spinner, seamer, same thing) is going to give more chance to win than an expensive one.

There are few bowlers capable of such economy as D Luca at the present time. The utter rubbishness of Franklin and the like isn't his fault. Given an attack of fellows also skillful (just imagine... Bond, Mills, Oram, Styris, Vettori... has it ever happened?), Vettori potentially plays a huge part in the success of such a unit.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Given that they're the only 3 teams he's played in his recent incarnation, I hardly see how that's a fair criticism. There's nothing to suggest he won't perform against everyone, nothing at all.
Yes, and when he does actually perform against everyone, he can have his matchwinning title. Until then he's largely unproven.
An economical bowler (spinner, seamer, same thing) is going to give more chance to win than an expensive one.
That doesn't make him a matchwinner. It's not a situation of picking between two evils. Being the lesser does not make him a matchwinner. It may make him a far more effective bowler than an expensive spinner, but that doesn't mean he's going to contribute significantly toward victories.
There are few bowlers capable of such economy as D Luca at the present time. The utter rubbishness of Franklin and the like isn't his fault.
Of course it's not his fault, but you seem to think that someone can be a matchwinner by default. He stands out in his field, but that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, and when he does actually perform against everyone, he can have his matchwinning title. Until then he's largely unproven.
He's as proven as he can possibly be. He's shown enough to suggest he could help take NZ to a World Cup win.
That doesn't make him a matchwinner. It's not a situation of picking between two evils. Being the lesser does not make him a matchwinner. It may make him a far more effective bowler than an expensive spinner, but that doesn't mean he's going to contribute significantly toward victories.
Anyone who bowls economically in a ODI has the potential to contribute to victories. Were Vettori to have achieved his deeds in, for example, South Africa's team he'd in all likelihood be hailed as one of the ODI greats - at least by those who recognise greatness in economy. The only reason he's held so lowly is because NZ's seamers have often been wholly inept and as a result games have been lost.
Of course it's not his fault, but you seem to think that someone can be a matchwinner by default. He stands out in his field, but that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
If someone stands-out, they have the potential to be a "matchwinner", simple as. But no-one, however good, can be a "match-winner" if their team-mates are terrible. However, they retain the potential to be so if their team-mates were to improve.

Mr Mxyzptlk

He's as proven as he can possibly be. He's shown enough to suggest he could help take NZ to a World Cup win.
And still not proven enough. You need more than to simply suggest. Surely you, more than most, know this.
Anyone who bowls economically in a ODI has the potential to contribute to victories.
Not the same. Being a matchwinner requires more than making a mere contribution.
Were Vettori to have achieved his deeds in, for example, South Africa's team he'd in all likelihood be hailed as one of the ODI greats - at least by those who recognise greatness in economy.
Vic Marks is greater than he then. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And still not proven enough. You need more than to simply suggest. Surely you, more than most, know this.
And I never called him a top-class ODI batsman or anything of that context. I said certainly appeared to be capable of standing-out and playing a part in winning matches for New Zealand.
Not the same. Being a matchwinner requires more than making a mere contribution.
It requires a sizeable contribution. Yes, 10-38-1 isn't such a thing but 10-23-0 certainly is, and I'd back most to dispute such a thing.
Vic Marks is greater than he then. :p
In his day?

I doubt it.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

England will probably only need to win 4 of the overall 7 games that contribute towards the super 8s table to get through to the semis. So 6 wins in 9 games ignoring the minnow sides to win the World Cup, hardly requires a great feat of stringing wins together does it?

If SA and Australia dominate the super 8s then teams could even get through to the semis on 3 wins. Oh and nice of Motson to get all his rubbish out of the way now before he mysteriously and tragically disappears for a few months when it turns out he's comprehensively wrong again.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
Umar Gul need to prove his fitness. Rana Naved is an over-rated ODI bowler and one of the most inconsistent in the world. Rehman is untested. Danish Kaneria is a rubbish ODI bowler.

I'm failing to see the solidity here. Pakistan have one close-to-world-class bowler in the ranks at the moment, and he too has had a few struggles in South Africa atm. Pick Saqlain.
Umar Gul has one month to gain fitness and since his illness is not that serious he's very likely to be fit and be the opening bowler with Asif.Asif is a world class bowler already and i think along with GUl he will form a very good opening bowling pair.As for Asif's struggle in SA, the kind of work load he had in SA , only a few pacers would be having such a workload in recent time, besides in OD one does get hammered at times,Ntini, Pollock , Kallis were all thrashed in one match, i fail to see how one question's asif's class and abilty. Naveed might have struggled in SA, but if he regains his form then the bowling combination of Asif/Gul/Naveed(or Anjum)/Afridi/Razzak>Malik seems very good to me.

As for Saqlain, he's past his best and is history

Last edited:

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
Rankings mean bugger all. For example England just beat Australia three times in a row. All Pakistan have is a good middle and lower middle order, their fielding is rubbish, their bowling is rubbish and their opening partnership is rubbish. The World Cup has probably come at the wrong time for them.

The only thing that is rubbish apart from Pak opening pair is ur post.If every thing about Pak team is rubbish then how on hell have they been top OD side for so long???????

Pak might have struggled in bowling recently coz of injury to its 4 pacers.Once even when half of those pacers get fit you will see a very good bowling attack.

BTW, Eng might have beaten Aus three times in a row, but they have been beaten consistently by every other side including, SA,Pak,Ind etc.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Id go

1.Australia
2=.Sri Lanka
2=.South Africa
4=.India
4=.New Zealand
4=.Pakistan
7=.West Indies
7=.England

Sri Lanka is my pick for the tournament.

Ofcourse, Australia has the most chance of winning it but all they have to do is lose once in the semis to not do so.

SL, SA, IND, NZ, PAK all have decent chances of getting into the semis

WI, ENG only outside shots

Semi will consist of AUS, SL, SA and one out off NZ, IND, PAK
AUS to lose in the semis!

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only thing that is rubbish apart from Pak opening pair is ur post.If every thing about Pak team is rubbish then how on hell have they been top OD side for so long???????

Pak might have struggled in bowling recently coz of injury to its 4 pacers.Once even when half of those pacers get fit you will see a very good bowling attack.

BTW, Eng might have beaten Aus three times in a row, but they have been beaten consistently by every other side including, SA,Pak,Ind etc.

Pakistan managed 2-2 against England... getting done over by Mahmood in the last game, what a top side. Pakistan used to have a good bowling attack, now they don't. That attack used to give them the slight edge any team needs to push themselves up the rankings as 2-8 have been close together. The state they're in now is all that matters and the bowling is in a sorry state, which is a real shame after they went to all that trouble of getting the drugs cheats off (I'd absolutely love it if the new tests still show traces of Nandrolone). They need some medical miracles to get their bowling back up to strength, which makes them overall long shots to win the World Cup at this stage.

Anyone who thinks NZ have a good chance doesn't really know cricket. The mental part of the game is huge in the World Cup, that's why NZ and India have virtually no chance. None of the top 8 sides are ever going to be good enough that they should just brush aside all the rest, but Australia have been doing that in finals and the World Cup for years because teams mentally fall apart against them.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
The first few matches of WC will give us an idea as to how "unpredictable teams" like India and Pakistan are going to fare in the cup.

NZ are a much better bet than Lanka in the WC in my opinion, and i think they will reach the semis.England has a decent team, but a few good recent wins have given rise to sudden unrealistic expectations.