• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
We need an opening partnership.

Trescothick's there, yes, but who do we have to go with him?

Strauss is best in the middle order, Vaughan's crap, Solanki's not up to it...

Prior means playing 2 keepers, and he had a pretty poor series in Pakistan.

Then, I'd have Vaughan out, but that looks rather unlikely.

And who do we want as spinner? Giles? Blackwell? Does Monty deserve a chance?

I think that Tresco, Strauss, Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, Harmison have their places secure.

But who needs to go around them?

Time will tell...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Vaughan's only played nine ODIs as an opener - why don't we try him there and Strauss at 3? At least with Tresco becoming increasingly more of an accumulator rather than a destroyer, he'd be able to go out and play his shots without confusing himself trying to work out how he should be playing.

My suggestion (now that the SuperSub has thankfully gone):

Trescothick
Vaughan*
Strauss
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
G Jones+
Giles
Plunkett
Harmison
S Jones

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think you guys have something special Cooking up on the sidelines. Apparently its an entree as well...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
for me:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan*
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
G Jones
Blackwell
Harmison
S Jones
Anderson

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Who doesn't even get in the Essex NCL side.
Talent is talent, Kapadugura hasn't even played a FC match for CCC and his played for Sri Lanka A and made Test sqauds.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Talent is talent, Kapadugura hasn't even played a FC match for CCC and his played for Sri Lanka A and made Test sqauds.
2/5 vowels correct...

We have one batsman who has great difficulty working singles in the ODI side already - we don't need another for 2007.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
for me:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan*
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
G Jones
Blackwell
Harmison
S Jones
Anderson
Blackwell? surely you mean Giles? :blink:

Matteh

Unless Giles isn't the same after his injury i think he's definitely in over Blackwell

Scaly piscine

Matteh said:
Unless Giles isn't the same after his injury i think he's definitely in over Blackwell
If Giles isn't the same as before he might be vaguely useful for a change.

Matteh

Granted he's never going to bowl a team out....
but in ODIs when you need someone to not give many runs away....he's good at that

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Blackwell? surely you mean Giles? :blink:
in Pakistan his bowling was decent & for the 1st time especially in that innings in rawalpindi he showed some brain with the bat. IF he could show during the ODI's in India that he can contribute more consistently witht the bat he make a better OD option that Gilo IMO..

Matteh

It's not like Giles isn't that rubbish with the bat himself for that to be the deciding issue (unless Blackwell start's averaging in the high 30s)
if the world cup was next month(and Giles was fit), i'd definitely pick Giles...just depends how Blackwell develops between now and then

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
It's not like Giles isn't that rubbish with the bat himself for that to be the deciding issue (unless Blackwell start's averaging in the high 30s)
if the world cup was next month(and Giles was fit), i'd definitely pick Giles...just depends how Blackwell develops between now and then
The ODI in India will be key for Blackwell, if he can impress it would go along way in him being a fixture in the OD XI, since his big hitting ability can't be ignored.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
aussie said:
The ODI in India will be key for Blackwell, if he can impress it would go along way in him being a fixture in the OD XI, since his big hitting ability can't be ignored.
Trouble is, he can't stay in long enough at international level to get a chance to hit big.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
It can if it keeps on being massively superseded by his extraordinary ability to get himself out, which I predict is extremely likely.