• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
aussie said:
Question - if Michael Vaughan is fit enough as he is aiming to be by the VB series obviously Fletcher will let him play & once he doesn't break down again he will go to the world cup maybe as captain.

But where would you bat him?
In front of the stumps would be a start, otherwise he won't hit many, unless our own attack bowls at him

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
aussie said:
Guys i'm serious where would you bat him, opener or #3 since?
We've already got Bell to play that role at three, it's about the only thing which works in the England ODI side at present. Can't really afford another one who strikes at about 60-65, especially not on WI pitches where England are going to need 280-300 more often than not.

My side for the World Cup

Tresco
Joyce
Bell
Strauss
Collrymple
Pietersen
Flintoff
+Read
Harmison
Tremlett
Broad/Lewis

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea but the thing is if Vaughan comes back a lot of confusion & i reckon Fletcher will want to play him even if its at the expense of someone i.e Bell. The best thing i guess is him not to get fit, but out of him & Jones i would rather Simon to be able to play than him TBH.

Fair side BTW, would have Strauss opening i think him & Tres will be fine at the top & would also play Colly & Dalrymple.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
We've already got Bell to play that role at three, it's about the only thing which works in the England ODI side at present. Can't really afford another one who strikes at about 60-65, especially not on WI pitches where England are going to need 280-300 more often than not.

My side for the World Cup

Tresco
Joyce
Bell
Strauss
Collrymple
Pietersen
Flintoff
+Read
Harmison
Tremlett
Broad/Lewis
not enough bowling for mine, no spinner either and Flintoff too low, think you need two for WI.

Tresco - if he sorts his head out, i've had just about enough of his ****
Bell
Strauss/Cook
Pietersen
P Colrymple
Flintoff
Yardy
J Colrymple/A Giles
Read
Harmison/ANother
Anderson

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
superkingdave said:
not enough bowling for mine, no spinner either and Flintoff too low, think you need two for WI.

Tresco - if he sorts his head out, i've had just about enough of his ****
Bell
Strauss/Cook
Pietersen
P Colrymple
Flintoff
Yardy
J Colrymple/A Giles
Read
Harmison/ANother
Anderson
Ah yeah, forgot Jimmy. Slot him in for Broad/Lewis.

However, I reckon that having Pietersen anywhere above six is asking for trouble. With him in the last ten overs England can make 100, but at four he'll keep scratching around for 20-25 in the middle overs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Yea but the thing is if Vaughan comes back a lot of confusion & i reckon Fletcher will want to play him even if its at the expense of someone i.e Bell.
I think the rules say that if he comes in it will be at the expense of someone - can't see Ricky liking it if we play 12 men.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with Dave's idea of playing two spinners in the Caribbean.

Trescothick
Strauss
Bell
KP
Flintoff
Collingwood
Dalrymple
Read
Yardy/Giles
Harmison
Anderson

BACK-UPS: Joyce, Lewis/Simon Jones, Mahmood, Loye/Cook.

This would probably be the best side presuming that Vaughan & Simon Jones don't get fit by time the VB series comes around because England will pick them & its bound to cause some confusion in the ODI side, but i would take Jones if he is ready TBH.

With the XI, in the middle order with KP i think he should bat up at #4 or #5 based on the situation i.e if England's top 3 bat for the 1st 20-25 overs let him stay at #4 if not Freddie could go up to 4 & he could be saved for later.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
marc71178 said:
I think the rules say that if he comes in it will be at the expense of someone - can't see Ricky liking it if we play 12 men.
LOL, worth a shot though

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well another disappointing ODI tournament performance from England, but i don't think the nucleus of the squad should change (other than probably Pothas getting a late call up if Read doesn't do well in the VB series but its a bit unlikely), but i again maintain that once England play at full-strenght the ODI team will be competitive in the WC.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
England ODI XI

i)Loye
ii)Bell
iii)Cook
iv)Strauss
v)Pietersen (drifting)
vi)Collingwood
vii)Flintoff (drifting)
viii) Read
ix)Mahmood
x)Anderson
xi)Panesar

Anderson, Panesar, Flintoff and Mahmood can all bowl 10 overs, and Collingwood and Pietersen can bowl 5 each.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Loye - great fan of him since he plays for Lancashire, great in domestic OD cricket but i fear he would struggle at the international level, plus England have better options.

Cook - another Vaughan in the making IMO, doesn't really improvise which is crucial in ODI's these days.

Panesar - at the moment i won't have him in the ODI team, since the likes of Dalrymple, Yardy & even Giles offer more overall, once he keeps improving i'll have him in the ODI side in another few years.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Very intriguing selection there, pheonix. Here's an outlandish one...

Strauss
Cook
Dalrymple
Bell
Pietersen
Colly
Flintoff
Read
Broad
Lewis
Anderson

Yeah, laugh it up. :laugh:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
That's ok.

Dalrymple is a better batter than he is given credit for I think. He has got a good solid technique, and has the making to become a pretty decent, but not great, one day all rounder.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I agree with you there, I just like the idea of a pinch-hitter coming in at number three, maybe play a tail-ender like Lewis, who can swing the bat, in that role.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
aussie said:
anesar - at the moment i won't have him in the ODI team, since the likes of Dalrymple, Yardy & even Giles offer more overall, once he keeps improving i'll have him in the ODI side in another few years.
I couldn't really decide whether if Panesar was released to the List A game, then he might turn to be a more defensive bowler, which would be a disaster for English cricket. He shouldn't ever play in Twenty20 games, for Northamptonshire or England for that reason.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well based on what has occured in the Champions Trophy, this is what i finally think the World Cup squad should be:

1.Flintoff
2.Pothas
3.Trescothick
4.Strauss
5.Bell
6.Pietersen
7.Collingwood
8.Joyce
9.Dalrymple
10.Mascarenhas
11.Giles
12.Harmison
13.Anderson
14.Lewis
15.Mahmood

I really think Mascarenhas & Pothas should get called up, i know England only have the VB series left to decide their ODI squad, but if the selectors really are thinking about the best combination to win the World Cup they should pick Mascarenhas and Pothas especially.

Pothas for one can bat anywhere in the top order and i reckon he will be much safer behind the stumps than anyone in the country since he seemingly has kept very efficiently to Warne. I'd even keep put him the test side as well despite being 32 ATM since i really believe Read won't score runs down under (although i'm a fan of Reado) & the likes of Jones, Prior aren't good enough, and Pothas can easily play as long as he can contribute at the international level, since Gilly is almost 35 & Stewart played to 40 & Pothas hasn't being caught up in the hectic international scheduling of late so i don't see why he cant. So England cant work with Pothas until hopefully young Steve Davies is ready to step up to the great potential that he has on the international stage.

But if not one can look at the improving James Foster, but i rather Pothas

Mascarenhas from what i've seen of the bloke would be a perfect fit in the current ODI squad, his bowling is similar in pace to Ian Harvey and can be a destructive late hitter.

Giles also would be in for me, Yardy has been very good so far with the ball but his batting is definately out of depth at this level after intially looking ok & we can't afford that since intially he was picked as a batsman who can bowl a la Dalrymple, Giles has we all know is a solid with the willow & since 2002 at least has been solid performer in the ODI side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Off the top of my head, my 15 at this moment

Flintoff
Tresco
Strauss
Bell
Collingwood
Pietersen
Dalrymple
Giles
Mahmood (unless Simon Jones is fit)
Lewis
Anderson
G.Jones
Cook
Joyce
Harmison, I loathe to pick him, but can't think of any better options at this moment. Not sure he'll ever play an ODI again tbh.