• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well England with under a year to the world cup still don't know what is the best ODI XI they can have, but looking at what England have once everyone is fit (except Simon Jones this is what i think the best XI/squad should be:

Marcus Trescothick
Andrew Strauss
Michael Vaughan*
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
Paul Collingwood
Jamie Dalrymple
Chris Read+
Glenn Chapple
Steve Harmison
James Anderson

back up: Ed Joyce, Liam Plunkett, Ian Blackwell, Alex Loudon.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Marcus Trescothick
Andrew Strauss
Michael Vaughan*
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
Paul Collingwood
Jamie Dalrymple
Chris Read+
Glenn Chapple

Steve Harmison
James Anderson
:unsure:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
it may still be early days in Dalrymple's career but if he can keep up good performances for the remainder of the year, he could add some much needed depth to the England lowe-order batting & give in some handy overs of off-spin.

Read based on performances in the past is still England ODI option behind the stumps, plus his batting has proven to be very destructive at times. Mr.Jones consistent failures pretty soon will get him dropped and if the England selectors know whats good for them they will recall the Notts keepers..

Chapple has been a very consistent bowler for Lancashire over the past few season & was rewarded with a call up to the side just recently. Now that Simon Jones surely wont make the WC team, if Chapple can but in some good performances with the ball & contribute a bit with the bat (which he is very capable of doing) he would become an important part in England OD team for the world cup.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
it may still be early days in Dalrymple's career but if he can keep up good performances for the remainder of the year, he could add some much needed depth to the England lowe-order batting & give in some handy overs of off-spin.

Read based on performances in the past is still England ODI option behind the stumps, plus his batting has proven to be very destructive at times. Mr.Jones consistent failures pretty soon will get him dropped and if the England selectors know whats good for them they will recall the Notts keepers..

Chapple has been a very consistent bowler for Lancashire over the past few season & was rewarded with a call up to the side just recently. Now that Simon Jones surely wont make the WC team, if Chapple can but in some good performances with the ball & contribute a bit with the bat (which he is very capable of doing) he would become an important part in England OD team for the world cup.
Dalrymple's bowling is not good enough to warrant him a place in the side if you're going to waste his batting, which itself is yet to be proven at international level with consistent runs, at 7.

I love him, but Chapple is neither good enough, young enough nor fit for long enough to be a success in ODI cricket.

And your love affair with Read is on a par with Richard and Ealham.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So you're picking unproven players as certs then?
Yes they are unproven but as i mentioned if they can be consistent they have what i takes to become fixtures in the OD team at least.

marc71178 said:
And Strauss opening?
He is not the greatest, neither is he the worst. Its unlikely he will be dropped but if he is maybe Joyce if he can do well could partner Tres at the top

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Dalrymple's bowling is not good enough to warrant him a place in the side if you're going to waste his batting, which itself is yet to be proven at international level with consistent runs, at 7.
First of all how is his batting going to be wasted at 7?, it may be early days yes i'm not debating that but he has shown in his 2 games to date that he can get on with it coming in at #7.

His bowling is not the worst, plus his bowling will just be back up since going into the WC, England will have 40 overs from its man bowlers of Harmison, Anderson, Flintoff & Chapple (since Jones is out) & the next 10 overs could be filled in by Dalrymple & Collingwood.

I
steds said:
love him, but Chapple is neither good enough, young enough nor fit for long enough to be a success in ODI cricket.
Age is just a number, i can guarantee you Chapple is a fit man he is one of the fittest senior players at the LCC. Plus Chapple time in the side might just be from now to the WC so its not essential for him to be a long term success in the OD team.

His performances of late especially this season with bat & ball have been very good & deserved his call. He like Dalrymple is unproven but if he can translate any of his county form on the international stage he'd could become a valuable part of the ODI team at least until the world cup & a decent replacement for Simon Jones.

steds said:
And your love affair with Read is on a par with Richard and Ealham.
Yea i like the bloke, his test place may not be assured but at least in ODI cricket he did well, when he was dropped for Jones after the windies tour in 2004 he had a very good series, unlike Dalrymple & Chapple he is proven to a certain extent in ODI cricket at least so all he needs to do his bat well for the Notts & he should be recalled. Since both Jones & Prior have had relatively poor ODI career's thus far.

adharcric

International Coach
For me ...
Trescothick, opener (Strauss will be the man but he doesn't deserve the strong "regular" tag), Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, Dalrymple, Read, Harmison, Anderson, seamer (Chappell, Plunkett, Mahmood, Jones, Bresnan, Ali, ... someone economical)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Richard said:
Don't worry, come next summer we'll win a game, then suddenly our World Cup preparations will be on great track.
How inaccurate that prediction now seems!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
That rules out all six, then
From what i have seen of Chapple in domestic cricket i think he could be fairly accurate, but then again that can all change at the international level.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd like to see Dalrymple support another spin bowler in the future for England.

I'm just going to throw up an order here...

Tresco
Bell
Strauss
KP
Collingwood
Flintoff
Dalrymple
G Jones/whoever +
Giles
Harmison
Anderson

Backing Dalrymple, Collingwood and Bell to get through 10 between them, and pick up the slack of any bowlers who get a bit of toe. I'd really like to see Tresco captain, but it looks like he's not interested.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I'd like to see Dalrymple support another spin bowler in the future for England.

I'm just going to throw up an order here...

Tresco
Bell
Strauss
KP
Collingwood
Flintoff
Dalrymple
G Jones/whoever +
Giles
Harmison
Anderson

Backing Dalrymple, Collingwood and Bell to get through 10 between them, and pick up the slack of any bowlers who get a bit of toe. I'd really like to see Tresco captain, but it looks like he's not interested.
Dont think Bell is the best man to partner Trescothick, Strauss hasn't really worked & he looks better off in the middle order, no one really knows who is best partner is at the moment but i think Joyce could be that man if he recovers in time to play againts Pakistan.

The idea of Giles playing & Dalrymple backing him up is a decent idea but i think it would work better in the sub-continent rather than in the caribbean, aslo added to the fact that Gilo may not make the world cup due to injury problems. So i might pick another seamer in probably Chapple if he can play & impress.

But still England's ODI team still has losts of problems.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Dont think Bell is the best man to partner Trescothick, Strauss hasn't really worked & he looks better off in the middle order, no one really knows who is best partner is at the moment but i think Joyce could be that man if he recovers in time to play againts Pakistan.
I don't see why it can't be Bell - if he sets to bat through the innings, and look for say 80-90 in 110 balls, as he seems to do from 3 then Trescothick can play an aggressive game.

Of course, Cook's hardly done a lot wrong to suggest he's not the man for the job.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I don't see why it can't be Bell - if he sets to bat through the innings, and look for say 80-90 in 110 balls, as he seems to do from 3 then Trescothick can play an aggressive game.

Of course, Cook's hardly done a lot wrong to suggest he's not the man for the job.
well it all depends on what type of opener England want to partner Tresocothick at the top, if its one like Bell or one who can play shots as well & be equally successful that why based on what i've seen of Joyce if he gets a chance vs Pakistan & impresses he could be that man.

Yea Cook hasn't done anything wrong but he just he still seems more of a test type player, he looks like another Vaughan in the making.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't see what from Cook's 2 knocks at a decent rate suggest he should be dropped for someone else.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bell wasn't one that I really thought about long. Just chucked him in there because I remember hearing a few people saying during Engerland's Winter Tour that Bell was doing alright opening, or something like that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair to him, he certainly performed a lot better than most in the recent series - batting in the top 3 there is a role for him in the England ODI side.