• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How many under-70-year-olds are called Jim?
Didn't James Anderson make it quite clear he hated being called Jimmy? And heartless souls still call him it.
IIRR Jamie Troughton infinately prefers Jamie to Jim, though he's Jamie and not James.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Because of course Gough's lost so many ODIs, hasn't he...?
A ruddy important one

Tried his best but got saved by the rain

Didn't get a chance to lose it cos Vaughan didn't trust him

No-balls galore

8.1-0-67-1

And though he was England's best bowler in South Africa in terms of economy rate, that was highly inflated by bowling to someone who shouldn't have been in the team in the last ODI and a spell in clouds where Hoggard took 2-35 in the first, and he was for the most part doing just as poorly as everyone else.

It's harder to look for the winning contributions he's made since the start of 2004...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Because of course Gough's lost so many ODIs, hasn't he...?
Last 2 series - 10 wickets @ over 40 and going well over 5.5 an over.

Then the disgraceful way he's ducked out of Pakistan before Xmas.

He's lost it big time and should never play for England again.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
You play too much ICC - his name's Jim IRL. :p :laugh:
I think you're right...he's played 60 odd Tests in my game with an average of 40...
Rikki Clarke averages 50 with the bat and 30 with the ball domestically and can't hack it at Test level...
Trescothick is the England wicketkeeper at 37...

I've lost my touch on reality 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
I hardly see so - Gough actually bowled extremely well, just got hammered, as pretty much anyone will, when coming back later.
Be much best if he'd not been brought back after his initial spell of 6-11-1.
There's no gurantee England would've lost, and even if they did, Gough would only have been the prime culprit of a few.
Not really, that game was lost by everyone combined, both batsmen and bowlers.
Everyone bowled a heap of rubbish in that game, point being?
It'd generally have been better if he'd missed that game - no-one was exactly good, but that was a shocker.
And though he was England's best bowler in South Africa in terms of economy rate, that was highly inflated by bowling to someone who shouldn't have been in the team in the last ODI and a spell in clouds where Hoggard took 2-35 in the first, and he was for the most part doing just as poorly as everyone else.

It's harder to look for the winning contributions he's made since the start of 2004...
It'd be more accurate to say since 2000, but there's simply no two ways about the fact that Gough is a better ODI bowler than most, if not all bar Flintoff, others available.
I've long said Gough didn't bowl as well in South Africa as some said, but there's no two ways about the fact he bowled exceptionally in the First and Sixth games.
Gough was pretty poor latterly last summer, and had a few shockers at the end of the one before.
That still doesn't change the fact that he's done better than most.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Last 2 series - 10 wickets @ over 40 and going well over 5.5 an over.
Which is, frankly, only 2 series (better described as 7 games, because it'd have been better to play Australia in 1 series). People have had poor series many times.
Somehow I doubt you'd give the same crap to Harmison for being smashed all over the shop in Pakistan.
Then the disgraceful way he's ducked out of Pakistan before Xmas.
What the hell is so disgraceful about that? Players have "ducked" out of tours plenty of times.
He's lost it big time and should never play for England again.
So, it'd be better to let the current pie-chuckers keep being clattered?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
Look, Richard. Gough is past it.

...and he's a dancing nancy boy.
Gough may be past his best, but he's certainly not "past it", any more than Warne is in Tests.
Gough is still probably the 2nd-best one-day bowler available for ODIs in England.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Somehow I doubt you'd give the same crap to Harmison for being smashed all over the shop in Pakistan.
There's a difference between being the only one to be hammered, and the whole team.

Richard said:
What the hell is so disgraceful about that? Players have "ducked" out of tours plenty of times.
The lies, or are you going to deny them as well?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Gough may be past his best, but he's certainly not "past it", any more than Warne is in Tests.
Equating him to Warne?

Please share whatever it is you're smoking with the rest of us.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Samuel_Vimes said:
I hardly see so - Gough actually bowled extremely well, just got hammered, as pretty much anyone will, when coming back later.
Be much best if he'd not been brought back after his initial spell of 6-11-1.
Initial spell of 6-11-1? *wonders how Cricinfo recorded it as 4-1-23-0...including five wides with the first two balls...*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
There's a difference between being the only one to be hammered, and the whole team.
Yes, there is - and Harmison has been hammered when others haven't, too.
The lies, or are you going to deny them as well?
Which lies, sorry?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Initial spell of 6-11-1? *wonders how Cricinfo recorded it as 4-1-23-0...including five wides with the first two balls...*
Was referring to the final NWS game in 2004 - don't know what you were referring to...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Equating him to Warne?

Please share whatever it is you're smoking with the rest of us.
Equating him to Warne where, exactly?
Where the blazes would I equate a wristspinner to a seamer?
As usual, you're concocting nonsense out of nothing.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Was referring to the final NWS game in 2004 - don't know what you were referring to...
oh i see yes it was very confusing which match he was referring to, it's not as if he linked to the match scorecard or anything 8-)