• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Here we go guys, about a year to go and we still have no idea of our strongest ODI lineup. Hmmm......
Simply put... we have Trescothick (who as David Lewis pointed-out a couple of weeks ago has been a waste of space for a year), Flintoff and Pietersen... and Gough if he lasts the course and stops bowling the rubbish he bowled last year.
Can't see either Read or Ealham being recalled and I think Knight was stupid to call it a day when he did... if he's not still playing (and playing well) next season I'll be amazed. But it's too late now.
I've said it plenty of times and I'll say it again... with Strauss, Vaughan, Collingwood, Blackwell, Geraint Jones, Plunkett and in all likelihood Harmison and Simon Jones, too, around we have absolutely no chance whatsoever. We might, possibly, avoid whipping-boy status, but that'd be a grievious blow for the hosts.
If we had a skeleton like this we might, just, have a ghost of a chance...
Trescothick
Knight

Afzaal
Pietersen
Flintoff
Read
Ealham

Gough
Quite why Afzaal is still nowhere near the picture is a total mystery to me - I fully expect Cook to be rushed into the side when it should be palpably obvious to anyone that he's not even good enough at the domestic level (yet, at least) just because he looks to have the makings of a useful Test player.
Simply put, though, there are just not enough good one-day batsmen in the country (available), and few bowlers either. Time is running out, and even if we do see Strauss, Vaughan, Solanki, Collingwood, Jones, Plunkett, Harmison and Jones dropping-out of the picture, there simply doesn't seem to be the calibre of player available to come in.
The only stupidly obvious omission at present is Afzaal... whoever else is picked alongside him and Pietersen, even Trescothick and Flintoff, can't possibly be relied upon. Both are reliable enough massachists of mediocre bowling, but I can't see them doing much to Pollock, Nel, Ntini, McGrath, etc. etc.
Unless someone (probably more like 2 batsmen and 2 bowlers) were to pop-up out of nowhere next season I rate our chances as close to zero.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I bet speed makes no importance whatsoever in my side.
Because most fools can realise that speed is not really very important in ODIs.
Most fools, however, do not make a scratch on EXD's foolishness.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
ah Mark Ealham, a fat waster, he can plod along to the pie shop, but lets not go into that

your thoughts on Jonathon Trott, Richard?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
ah Mark Ealham, a fat waster, he can plod along to the pie shop, but lets not go into that
If there's one thing it's utterly stupid to accuse Ealham of it's wastage - he's one player who's wrung every drop from his ability. I hardly see how he qualifies as "fat", either.
He does, though, qualify as a very good one-day bowler, and when you put bowlers like Plunkett, Tremlett, Lewis, Jones, Wharf, Mahmood, Kabir Ali, Harmison, Anderson, Batty, Blackwell, Tudor, Sidebottom, Snape, Kirtley, Hoggard, Franks and Swann up against him they look like jokes.
your thoughts on Jonathon Trott, Richard?
You've not heard my thoughts on EU-passport players before?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope, he's one of those typical South Africans who's proven not good enough in South Africa so has come to batter around a few English county attacks and get himself a nice fat import's pay-packet (plus presumably airfares, sponsored-cars and the works - though he may be a UK resident, if so I'd admit to being harsh on him).

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Nope, he's one of those typical South Africans who's proven not good enough in South Africa so has come to batter around a few English county attacks and get himself a nice fat import's pay-packet (plus presumably airfares, sponsored-cars and the works - though he may be a UK resident, if so I'd admit to being harsh on him).
well he qualifies this autumn and has said that he has set his sights on playing for England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Jonathan Trott ever plays for England we could well lose every series very badly.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
If Jonathan Trott ever plays for England we could well lose every series very badly.
seriously sometimes you are hard to understand Richard you place so much emphasis on List A average, but trott averages over 40 in List A, a figure which only one player in the England side can match, and you say we would lose every series very badly if he played?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
well he qualifies this autumn and has said that he has set his sights on playing for England
that would be good, seems a decent all-rounder in the making..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
argh no, He's a batsman - his bowling is poo
Well i haven't seen much of him but i remember him bowling in the C&G Final last year & well he took 3 wickets, his bowling admitedly wasn't fantastic but their is something to work with

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
seriously sometimes you are hard to understand Richard you place so much emphasis on List A average, but trott averages over 40 in List A, a figure which only one player in the England side can match, and you say we would lose every series very badly if he played?
I place emphasis on the fact that a bad List-A-OD average means someone almost certainly won't make the grade in ODIs, but I certainly don't think that a good domestic record will automatically translate into a good international one and having seen Trott bat quite a few times it's a mystery to me why he averages so high and I can't conceive he'd do anything of note in ODIs.