Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The England Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    Blackwell? surely you mean Giles?
    in Pakistan his bowling was decent & for the 1st time especially in that innings in rawalpindi he showed some brain with the bat. IF he could show during the ODI's in India that he can contribute more consistently witht the bat he make a better OD option that Gilo IMO..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    It's not like Giles isn't that rubbish with the bat himself for that to be the deciding issue (unless Blackwell start's averaging in the high 30s)
    if the world cup was next month(and Giles was fit), i'd definitely pick Giles...just depends how Blackwell develops between now and then
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    It's not like Giles isn't that rubbish with the bat himself for that to be the deciding issue (unless Blackwell start's averaging in the high 30s)
    if the world cup was next month(and Giles was fit), i'd definitely pick Giles...just depends how Blackwell develops between now and then
    The ODI in India will be key for Blackwell, if he can impress it would go along way in him being a fixture in the OD XI, since his big hitting ability can't be ignored.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    The ODI in India will be key for Blackwell, if he can impress it would go along way in him being a fixture in the OD XI, since his big hitting ability can't be ignored.
    Trouble is, he can't stay in long enough at international level to get a chance to hit big.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    It can if it keeps on being massively superseded by his extraordinary ability to get himself out, which I predict is extremely likely.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Here we go guys, about a year to go and we still have no idea of our strongest ODI lineup. Hmmm......
    Simply put... we have Trescothick (who as David Lewis pointed-out a couple of weeks ago has been a waste of space for a year), Flintoff and Pietersen... and Gough if he lasts the course and stops bowling the rubbish he bowled last year.
    Can't see either Read or Ealham being recalled and I think Knight was stupid to call it a day when he did... if he's not still playing (and playing well) next season I'll be amazed. But it's too late now.
    I've said it plenty of times and I'll say it again... with Strauss, Vaughan, Collingwood, Blackwell, Geraint Jones, Plunkett and in all likelihood Harmison and Simon Jones, too, around we have absolutely no chance whatsoever. We might, possibly, avoid whipping-boy status, but that'd be a grievious blow for the hosts.
    If we had a skeleton like this we might, just, have a ghost of a chance...
    Trescothick
    Knight

Afzaal
    Pietersen
    Flintoff
    Read
    Ealham

Gough
    Quite why Afzaal is still nowhere near the picture is a total mystery to me - I fully expect Cook to be rushed into the side when it should be palpably obvious to anyone that he's not even good enough at the domestic level (yet, at least) just because he looks to have the makings of a useful Test player.
    Simply put, though, there are just not enough good one-day batsmen in the country (available), and few bowlers either. Time is running out, and even if we do see Strauss, Vaughan, Solanki, Collingwood, Jones, Plunkett, Harmison and Jones dropping-out of the picture, there simply doesn't seem to be the calibre of player available to come in.
    The only stupidly obvious omission at present is Afzaal... whoever else is picked alongside him and Pietersen, even Trescothick and Flintoff, can't possibly be relied upon. Both are reliable enough massachists of mediocre bowling, but I can't see them doing much to Pollock, Nel, Ntini, McGrath, etc. etc.
    Unless someone (probably more like 2 batsmen and 2 bowlers) were to pop-up out of nowhere next season I rate our chances as close to zero.
    Last edited by Richard; 09-03-2006 at 08:13 AM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Afzaal, Gough, Ealham
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

So... Vaughan, Harmison and Plunkett are better?
    Pull the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Afzaal, Gough, Ealham
    I bet Ealham/Gough would be the fastest bowlers in Motson's side by a country mile as well.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

I bet speed makes no importance whatsoever in my side.
    Because most fools can realise that speed is not really very important in ODIs.
    Most fools, however, do not make a scratch on EXD's foolishness.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    ah Mark Ealham, a fat waster, he can plod along to the pie shop, but lets not go into that

your thoughts on Jonathon Trott, Richard?
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    ah Mark Ealham, a fat waster, he can plod along to the pie shop, but lets not go into that
    If there's one thing it's utterly stupid to accuse Ealham of it's wastage - he's one player who's wrung every drop from his ability. I hardly see how he qualifies as "fat", either.
    He does, though, qualify as a very good one-day bowler, and when you put bowlers like Plunkett, Tremlett, Lewis, Jones, Wharf, Mahmood, Kabir Ali, Harmison, Anderson, Batty, Blackwell, Tudor, Sidebottom, Snape, Kirtley, Hoggard, Franks and Swann up against him they look like jokes.
    your thoughts on Jonathon Trott, Richard?
    You've not heard my thoughts on EU-passport players before?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    You've not heard my thoughts on EU-passport players before?
    i think he's as English as pietersen isn't he?

Nope, he's one of those typical South Africans who's proven not good enough in South Africa so has come to batter around a few English county attacks and get himself a nice fat import's pay-packet (plus presumably airfares, sponsored-cars and the works - though he may be a UK resident, if so I'd admit to being harsh on him).

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Nope, he's one of those typical South Africans who's proven not good enough in South Africa so has come to batter around a few English county attacks and get himself a nice fat import's pay-packet (plus presumably airfares, sponsored-cars and the works - though he may be a UK resident, if so I'd admit to being harsh on him).
    well he qualifies this autumn and has said that he has set his sights on playing for England

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information