• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drug Testing? World Cup?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Does anyone know if there will be drug testing before the Wrold Cup? Leaving aside the pending punishment of certain players, I would at least like to know that all of the players who are playing in the competition are clean during the competition.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I think it's safe to say that most national associations will be making every effort to ensure their players are clean. :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well you'd hope that all would be, but if someone is unfortunate enough to take a seemingly-innocent pill which happens to be contaminated with nandrolone today, there's nothing anyone can do about it... substances stay in the body for a considerable time and unless I'm much mistaken you can't flush them out.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's safe to say that most national associations will be making every effort to ensure their players are clean. :ph34r:
I'm sure some national associations will be conducting their own tests so that frivolous appeals have a suspiciously high probability of succeeding...

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yes, I'd assume that would be the case. Still, my question refers more to whether there will be tests run by the ICC as opposed to tests being run by the cricket boards of each participating nation.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was there anything of the sort at the u19 WC?
We were told that there was to be, but I don't think any Australian players were tested. Doesn't mean that others weren't, though.

There were also some age testing type things, but the result would come back saying [paraphrase] "This person is somewhere between the ages of 17 and 21." So it didn't really achieve much.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Some people are just so blinded in their hate/bias/whatever against certain countries that they just don't look at facts.

If Pakistan didn't care about their players using drugs, they wouldn't have tested them. WI and India do not test their players. At all. For all you know, Dravid and Lara could be on steroids for ten years, and you wouldn't know. WI is starting soon I believe.

But let's gang up on a board that tried, even though the implementation left a lot to be desired. I mean who wants to think through the situation when you can just throw one liners.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You are actually offering some sort of praise to the Pakistan Cricket Board?

Whatever are you thinking of?

Anyone who knows anything knows that the Pakistan Cricket Board has never done one single thing right in their entire history.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You are actually offering some sort of praise to the Pakistan Cricket Board?

Whatever are you thinking of?

Anyone who knows anything knows that the Pakistan Cricket Board has never done one single thing right in their entire history.
I know you are being sarcastic, but no I am not offering praise. In the end, they botched it up and deserve criticism for it. But the fact is, no one cares about the boards that don't even test their players. I didn't see a single thread about that. But a board that tried, and failed, just gets all the criticism in the world.

No wonder people just try to ignore the problem, because if they handle it wrong they'll just be vilified while their neighbors who don't even try get away scott free. The pounding they are receiving from some here, and from the media in general just makes me shake my head. I wouldn't be surprised if by next year they've quietly stopped testing their players. Why would you? If others don't have to do it, why open yourself to abuse from people in the media who think just like some who have posted here? That's what you get for even trying.

Criticism is fair, but its getting totally ridiculous.

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
good job ss! also to let them know, i read in cricinfo few weeks back pcb was getting in line with the wda or whatever it is, so that they have same standards etc

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know you are being sarcastic, but no I am not offering praise. In the end, they botched it up and deserve criticism for it. But the fact is, no one cares about the boards that don't even test their players. I didn't see a single thread about that. But a board that tried, and failed, just gets all the criticism in the world.

No wonder people just try to ignore the problem, because if they handle it wrong they'll just be vilified while their neighbors who don't even try get away scott free. The pounding they are receiving from some here, and from the media in general just makes me shake my head. I wouldn't be surprised if by next year they've quietly stopped testing their players. Why would you? If others don't have to do it, why open yourself to abuse from people in the media who think just like some who have posted here? That's what you get for even trying.

Criticism is fair, but its getting totally ridiculous.
All of which begs the question: why on Earth is drug-testing left to National Boards?

It's like the ECB leaving punishment for excessive-appealing, dissent, etc. to the counties. Very convenient it is, too...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
All of which begs the question: why on Earth is drug-testing left to National Boards?

It's like the ECB leaving punishment for excessive-appealing, dissent, etc. to the counties. Very convenient it is, too...
I agree. There should be a consistent requirement straight from the ICC. But that is a separate issue.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't really see that it's separate. Drug-testing from National Boards is stupid, full-stop. It's never going to solve any problems. It just puts you in a no-win situation, as you've demonstrated.

The only way for a drug-testing policy to work is regular tests, from an independent body.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't really see that it's separate. Drug-testing from National Boards is stupid, full-stop. It's never going to solve any problems. It just puts you in a no-win situation, as you've demonstrated.

The only way for a drug-testing policy to work is regular tests, from an independent body.
I agree. But its a separate issue in the sense that based on the rules as they are now, some are trying and getting vilified for messing it up whereas some aren't even trying.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK.

The rules need changing - simple as. It's a mark of them that I don't even know what such rules might pertain to. Do ICC have a list of banned substances, or are they just referred to a WACA code?