• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drug Testing? World Cup?

Craig

World Traveller
:blink:8-)

I'm glad I don't live there.
Yep and if you are a sportsman/women and take performance boosting drugs you potentially run the risk of being locked up in jail (I think it comes under Sporting fraud). Similar anti-doping laws exist in Italy and now Spain, and I think Belgium but I could be wrong. There are anti-doping laws in Germany but they are hazy.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yep and if you are a sportsman/women and take performance boosting drugs you potentially run the risk of being locked up in jail (I think it comes under Sporting fraud). Similar anti-doping laws exist in Italy and now Spain, and I think Belgium but I could be wrong. There are anti-doping laws in Germany but they are hazy.
But its weird that they'd ban creatine. I mean even I take that. And I'm as far from an athlete as you can get.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What about Drug Testing the spectators ?:laugh:

with the amount of Drugs thats available there ...

Some of the spectators travelling to the Caribbean will surely be making a Trip to "Hedonism" or whatever the Island for Orgies...:laugh:

Craig

World Traveller
What about Drug Testing the spectators ?:laugh:

with the amount of Drugs thats available there ...

Some of the spectators travelling to the Caribbean will surely be making a Trip to "Hedonism" or whatever the Island for Orgies...:laugh:
Love a sterotype do you?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Interesting observation by a Pak doping expert, as reported by dawn newspaper:

Cricket: Akhtar, Asif risking life bans, says doping expert KARACHI, Feb 9 (AFP) Pakistan's decision to drug-test their entire World Cup squad could end in life bans for Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif, who recently won doping reprieves, an expert warned on Friday. Danish Zaheer, vice president of the Asian Federation of Sports Medicine, said the two bowlers could still have banned substances in their systems after testing positive in October. “To me it is not the good timing for Akhtar and Asif to have re-tests because if they test positive again, which is likely to happen, then on a second offense they face life bans,” Zaheer said. He added that Pakistan should have dealt the WADA appeal before the blanket re-testing, which was announced this week. (Posted @ 16:42 PST)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Some people are just so blinded in their hate/bias/whatever against certain countries that they just don't look at facts.

If Pakistan didn't care about their players using drugs, they wouldn't have tested them. WI and India do not test their players. At all. For all you know, Dravid and Lara could be on steroids for ten years, and you wouldn't know. WI is starting soon I believe.

But let's gang up on a board that tried, even though the implementation left a lot to be desired. I mean who wants to think through the situation when you can just throw one liners.
The reason people are cynical about the Akhtar/Asif testing debacle is that they saw Pakistan's new (IIRC, Woolmer pressed hard to get it in place) in-house testing as a means to avoid having players caught out by ICC testing, and thus, escape the standards imposed by the ICC (which is what lead ultimately to their ignorance defence being upheld in their appeals). Its' paranoid and relies on the PCB being a little too fiendishly clever, but it does provide some kind of argument as to why Pakistan might test their players but not be honest in their crusade against drugs in the sport.

Like I said in the big thread on this, I think that it's a mistake to have countries police this themselves anyway, at least until there are agreed upon universal standards. Even then, I'd rather that all testing was done on a regular basis by a central authority and trusted, impartial administrators. I propose Rashid Latif.

Craig

World Traveller
Why should they? Plenty of people (including a lot on here) hammered the PCB for even trying. While no one [except me] even mentioned the boards that don't even try.
Perhaps to catch out anybody taking anything illegal? I sought of have a very low tolerence for sportspeople who take illegal drugs, and to me it seems like the BCCI is to scared to try and catch out anything. Unless you can give me something that isn't the case, then in which case I will take back what I said?

Cricket has it pretty easy in terms of drug testing compared to other sports, and those who hammered the PCB for even trying, frankly in my opinion (no disrespect intended) are idiots.