• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh Thread

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Teenage openers Tamim Iqbal and Junaid Siddique are among the names on Bangladesh's 30-man shortlist for the World Cup.

Junaid and Tamim, the younger brother of national opener Nafees Iqbal, who will not be travelling to the Caribbean through injury, both came to the fore following strong performances in the recently concluded Dhaka Premier League Twenty20 Cup. Other uncapped players in the provisional squad include batsmen Marshall Ayub, Nazmus Sadat and Nadif Chowdhury, seamer Dollar Mahmud and wicket-keeper Saghir Hossain.

The pool will be halved to give the final squad of 15 in around a month's time.

Squad
Habibul Bashar (c), Shahriar Nafees (vc) , Khaled Mashud (wk), Mohammad Rafique, Mashrafe Mortaza, Javed Omar, Mohammad Ashraful, Aftab Ahmed, Rajin Saleh, Shahadat Hossain, Tushar Imran, Alok Kapali, Tapash Baisya, Abdur Razzak, Manjarul Islam Rana, Syed Rasel, Mushfiqur Rahim, Enamul Haque jnr, Nazmul Hossain, Farhad Reza, Saqibul Hasan, Mehrab Hossain jnr, Nadif Chowdhury, Nazmus Sadat, Saghir Hossain, Junaid Siddique, Mohammad Sharif, Dollar Mahmud, Marshall Ayub, Tamim Iqbal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The only ones there that seem genuine prospects to me are Shahriar Nafees Ahmed, Tushar Imran, Abdur Razzak and Nazmul. Even Nazmul I'm far from convinced with.

Jungle Jumbo

The only ones there that seem genuine prospects to me are Shahriar Nafees Ahmed, Tushar Imran, Abdur Razzak and Nazmul. Even Nazmul I'm far from convinced with.
Come on Richard, get your facts right.

Shahriar Nafees is going to be a Test quality batsman, Abdur Razzak an ODI quality spinner. Tushar Imran shouldn't get too much of a look in in the near future, while Nazmul Hossain can't buy wickets at domestic level.

The likes of Tamim Iqbal, Shahadat Hossain, Nazmus Sadat, Marshall Ayub, Saqibul Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim aren't genuine prospects then?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll give you Rahim, he looked quality (though he was only 15 at the time, it's a good idea to remember) when I saw him, Shahadat no way for me, looks even worse than Harmison, Saqibul possibly, and the other two I haven't heard of.

Nazmul, maybe I should've said I thought he looked good when I first saw him (Cham Trop 2004), as I said he's been abso-bloody-lutely awful of late.

Why do you need to reiterate what I said about Nafees Ahmed and Razzak and talk to me as if I'd said the opposite?

Jungle Jumbo

I'll give you Rahim, he looked quality (though he was only 15 at the time, it's a good idea to remember) when I saw him, Shahadat no way for me, looks even worse than Harmison, Saqibul possibly, and the other two I haven't heard of.

Nazmul, maybe I should've said I thought he looked good when I first saw him (Cham Trop 2004), as I said he's been abso-bloody-lutely awful of late.

Why do you need to reiterate what I said about Nafees Ahmed and Razzak and talk to me as if I'd said the opposite?
To reinforce them? (I'll give you that one)

Can't fault you for not have having heard of some of those players, just don't make sweeping comments about them. ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, all right, but until they've done something remotely notable I can't see how they're looking like making part of a good side in 2011.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Obviously the Australia Test slipped under somebody's radar.

Not to mention the obvious improvement they've been making in ODIs

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
A woeful post, even by your standards. I suppose you'll never stop arguing what you don't know about.

In other news...I'd have the following squad for the World Cup

Shahriah Nafees Ahmed
Rajin Saleh
Aftab Ahmed
Mohammad Ashraful
Farhad Reza
Saqibal Hasan
*Habibul Bashar
+Mushfiqur Rahim
+Khaled Mashud
Mohammad Rafique
Abdur Razzaq
Mashrafe Mortaza
Syed Rasel
Shahadat Hossain
Mohammad Sharif

Shame I couldn't find a place for Javed, Tamim, Mehrab Jnr and Rana. I don't see too much potential in the pace department. Having seen Dollar live I don't think he's that great personally. Whatever happened to Shafaq?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Does a 23 year old who was just the leading ODI wicket taker for the 2006 calendar year not count as a prospect?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Does a 23 year old who was just the leading ODI wicket taker for the 2006 calendar year not count as a prospect?
Just because Mashrafe is 23 doesn't mean he's a prospect, he's been around for ages now.

And yes, he's a decent bowler but to call him the leading ODI wicket-taker for 2006 is utterly laughable, given that no Bangladesh game merits ODI status, never mind Bermuda and Canada games.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
No, I'll never stop arguing about what I do know about.
Just because Mashrafe is 23 doesn't mean he's a prospect, he's been around for ages now.

And yes, he's a decent bowler but to call him the leading ODI wicket-taker for 2006 is utterly laughable, given that no Bangladesh game merits ODI status, never mind Bermuda and Canada games.
No, isolated games just count for little.

What, beating the mighty Bermuda and Canada?

you are just dumb and dont have a clue what your talking about like i said once before ill say it again but to you this time i feeling the slaping the sh** out of you...learn when to shut up because this is the time because you dont know what you talking abou! they never even played canada or bermuda in the last 2 years(since they started to show improvement)...plus the only associate they played is scotland&kenya(had odi status for a while) for only two games...mind you ah australia india etc etc was beaten by bangladesh in odi's so they dont have to go to canada to get a win...you are just crying like a baby over nothing...and dont whine back at me like a baby...its time you go to sleep...

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Uh-uh, it ain't.

And forgive me for not being too bothered about the prospect of being slapped by someone in the US of A...

I do have a clue what I'm about, and Bermuda and Canada were simply 2 names pulled from thin-air - fact is, Bangladesh have played a hell of a lot of fellow substandard teams recently - and for such games to be classed "ODI" is even more ludicrous than Bangladesh-New Zealand being classed such.