• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What you either don't understand, or are just too stubborn to understand, is that we all know your opinion already!. There's no need to clog up threads just because you think you have some sort of duty to inform everyone else of your 'facts'. You can believe what you want, just don't annoy everyone else. It's incredibly arrogant and disrespectful of everyone else on the forum.
OK

Last edited:

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
What the players are saying!

The entire Bangladesh World Cup squad and coach Dav Whatmore took part in a lively, prompt and spontaneous question and answer session with media today (Sunday) at the Dhaka Sheraton Hotel. This was the final meeting with the media before the Tigers’ departure for the West Indies tomorrow.

One by one all the 15 players and coach Whatmore took questions from the print ad electroninc media representatives. Below are the excerpts from the session.

Habibul Bashar

On chances of beating India or Sri Lanka

Both teams are going to the World Cup to win it. So I have to say it is a tough job but not impossible. We have beaten big teams in the past. We have the ability to do that again.

Target

Our target is to reach the second round.

Difference between the 1999 World Cup team and the current side

Every team is different. At that time we did not achieve Test status so the expectation was not very high. In 2003 we had a poor World Cup. This time our team is more mature and confident. With a lot of wins behind us we are going to the World Cup. As a team we have improved a lot and have more confidence.

All I am thinking of at the moment is how we can do well for Bangladesh. The players are behind me and we all are focused on achieving something out of this World Cup. The last one was not good so this one has to be better and we will make it better.

About his comments on Khaled Mashud in some newspapers

I have said that I would miss him as a teammate because we have played for the national team for a long time. But I am quite satisfied with the current squad and I believe that this squad has the ability to do well.

Shahriar Nafees Ahmed

On the team’s self belief

We have won a lot of matches in the last 12 months and now we know what we need to do to win a match. This is our main inspiration to do well in the World Cup.

On his personal expectation

These days the West Indian wickets favour the batsmen. So I will try my best to get some runs there.

If there is a crisis for an opening partner

I do not see it that way at all. In the last one and a half years I have opened the innings with six different batsmen but more importantly during this period we’ve won more matches than we have lost. From Javed (Omar) to Tamim (Iqbal) our opening pair’s objective remains the same and that is to give the team a solid start.

Whether there is any lacking in preparation because of winning against lower ranked teams in the last 12 months or so

Not at all. All it counts is that we won and did it by playing good cricket. If you count from 2005 you will find that we beat Australia, we beat Sri Lanka. We batted well, bowled well, fielded well and that is why we won so many matches in the last two years. Now we have learnt how to win and hope this trend will continue in the future.

Mohammad Rafique

Whether it is going to be his last World Cup

Let me play this World Cup and then I will think about it. Who knows I might play in 2011 World Cup also.

On his target

I never set any particular target before a game. I set it after entering into the field. This is going to be my third World Cup. The tournament will be held in the West Indies where I have many fond memories. So this time my objective is to do as well as I can.

On his announcement of retirement after 1999 World Cup

I said that because of a major incident. Today I am still playing with the national team but something happened back then which might have ended my domestic career also.

Whether he feels any pressure as his tag as the lone strike bowler of the team does not exist any more

I never used to take pressure, always remain calm and relaxed. Years ago I bowled a lot of overs in the slog stages and that is why there was every chance of taking many wickets. But now I bowl mainly in the early and middle stages of the innings and at that time the most important thing is to check the runs. I bowl according to the team’s plan and for the greater interest of the team.

Mohammad Ashraful

On his personal expectations

In the last one year I have not performed well for the national team. In the World Cup my aim will be to do well. As a team our objective is to reach the second round. I want to help my team to fulfill that goal.

On his position in the batting order

In the international cricket number six is a very important position. The likes of Mike Hussey and Paul Collingwood play there. Going at number six, I think it is still possible to play a big and helpful innings.

I always say that number five is my favorite position. My Test hundreds came while playing at number five. One day hundred came at four. So if I am promoted up the batting order, I think it will suit me just fine.

Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Whether this World Cup would wipe away the painful experience of 2003

I think luck is a big factor in cricket. So I do not see it that way. I will play in the World Cup as I play in the other matches.

On his batting

My dream is to create an upset by beating either India or Sri Lanka. So to achieve that I will do my best whether I bat at number sever, ten or eleven. Personally my focus will be on my bowling, as always.

On the batting order of India and Sri Lanka

The World Cup is a big tournament and that is why some pressure will come automatically. But I am always confident with the ball in the hand and I hope that I can do well this time also.

Rajin Saleh

On his role in the team

I am prepared to play at any position for the interest of the team. There are some practice matches before the World Cup. If I get the chance I have to do well to get the opportunity to play in the main tournament.

On his comeback

Our domestic cricket is very tough. As I did well there I now have the confidence to do the same for the national team in the World Cup.

Syed Rasel

On himself

I think I remain the same bowler as I was before. My main strength is line-length and I can also swing the ball both ways.

On the view that his pace has dropped a bit

It is not good to hear. For me the World Cup is a challenge. I have to prove that I have some other ammunition thing rather than pace.

Shahadat Hossain

On his target

To hit batsmen on their head! No…I was just joking. This is my first World Cup and I want to bowl well there. A fast bowler needs to be aggressive and I will definitely bowl aggressively. If a few deliveries jolt helmets then it will feel very good also (Laughs).

On his inconsistent bowling

Before I wanted to take a wicket every ball and sometimes went overboard with that. Now I am working on bowling to a plan. My line and length is much better now.

Shakib Al Hasan

On his batting order

I am ready to play at any position for the interest of the team.

Target as an all-rounder

I do not set any target before a match. I play according to the match situation.

On his changes

I am becoming more mature with time.

Mushfiqur Rahim

Any added pressure because of all the talks about Khaled Masud not being there

I do not see it as pressure. We all are professionals. So I want to concentrate on my job in the field.

Whether having three other former BKSP mates helps him overcome pressure

Obviously. As many of us have been playing together for a long time, it definitely helps.

Whether he rates himself as a batsman-wicketkeeper or a wicketkeeper-batsman

The selectors have included me in the team as a batsman-wicketkeeper. So I want to score some runs but at the same time doing my job properly behind the stumps is equally important.

Tamim Iqbal

On his aggressive batting

I have not yet started thinking about the World Cup. If I get a chance I will play it as just like another match. My natural style of play will not change for sure. I will play the way I have learnt to play since childhood.

On his two one day internationals

I was a bit nervous in the first match. But in the second match I was playing really well. I played in my natural aggressive way but got out unluckily.

Difference between Premier League and the international matches

There is more pressure in the international matches. In the World Cup I will try to be as relaxed as possible.

Javed Omer

On his first World Cup

I am very excited to get an opportunity finally to play in the World Cup. But the more important thing is to perform well. I will try to do that.

Whether this is his last one day tournament

I have not thought about that. Right now I am concentrating hard only on the World Cup. After returning from the tournament I will decide on that matter.

After Ahmed

Whether he is the key to beat India or Sri Lanka

I believe that unity is the strength. So every player has to perform if we want to win against India or Sri Lanka. I will try to play my part.

On the spotlight turning to him from Ashraful

I do not play cricket thinking so many things. My only objective is to play well and to give the team something.

Abdur Razzak

If there is a rivalry with Rafique

It’s a healthy rivalry. It is an inspiration for me to do well.

On his target

I want to make it a memorable tournament as this is my first World Cup. I will try to deliver according to my team’s requirement.

Tapash Baisha

On his comeback

I was out of the team because of injury. I got back my fitness, performed well in the domestic competitions and returned to the national team. Now I will try to cement my place once again.

Whether this is extra motivation because the World Cup is going to be held in his happy hunting ground, the West Indies

Definitely this is extra motivation. Last time when we toured the West Indies I bowled really well. I know the wickets well. So this time I will try to achieve the same. I want to get many wickets and also some runs.

Dav Whatmore

Inspiration of playing in the West Indies

The inspiration is to do well in the World Cup, does not matter where we go. This a very big tournament and our objective is to do as well as we can.

On the argument that this is not a settled team

That is your personal opinion. I respect that but do not agree with that. As far as we are concerned we picked the best possible team for Bangladesh.

Possibility of beating India or Sri Lanka

I just feel it is becoming more of a realistic achievement the longer Bangladesh plays. If you asked the same question two years ago or even maybe 12 months ago I think it was not quite as realistic as it is now and it will continue to be more of a realistic objective as time goes on. As the captain said it is going to be difficult. I think it is becoming more of a real chance, a reality Bangladesh is moving through and that is the way we are looking at it.

Miraz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bangladesh already reached Antigua to play a tri-series involving Bermuda and Canada.

They have to wait until 6th March to play any quality opposition. they will playing New Zealand on that day.

Miraz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
World Cup Warm Up Matches in the Caribbean : Bangladesh Must Build the Momentum

Here's one article I wrote for my blog site

Bangladesh landed in the Caribbean on 20th February to participate in a tri-series involving Bangladesh and two associates Bermuda and Canada. This is considered as an acclimatising tour for Bangladesh, who will be playing Caribbean after almost three long years. The tri-series will be held at Antigua recreation ground and Bangladesh will play Bermuda on 25 February and will take on Canada on 28th. After the tri series Bangladesh will play against New Zealand on 5th March 2007 and Scotland on 8th March as part of the World Cup Warm up matches before featuring the Gala event starting from 13th March 2007. Both the matches will be played at Barbados.

Bangladesh played some good cricket over the last one year and surpassed their trivial rivals Zimbabwe and Kenya comfortably. Bangladesh Cricket is on the verge of entering the big league where they will pose continuous threats to every other country and is expected to win a match in their day against any opposition. Now, this transformation requires some excellence in every aspect of their game including the mindset. Coach Dav Whatmore injected some confidence into the squad and the mindset is slowly but gradually changing. It is the high time in the Caribbean to exhibit the change of mindset to the cricket world and make the transformation happen.

ICC tri-series involving Bermuda and Canada is the first opportunity to do that. Bangladesh has to make some records straight as they have mixed memories against these opposition. Undoubtedly, Canada inflicted the worst wound in the cricketing history of Bangladesh by defeating them in the last world cup at South Africa. Surprisingly, that's not the only time when they defeated Bangladesh, in the ICC trophy Bangladesh tasted one defeat against the same opposition and managed only one win in three encounters. Bangladesh played Bermuda twice in the ICC trophy level and manged to win one match while lost the other. Looking at the statistics, it is clear that there is no reason to take these oppositions lightly. Having said that, Bangladesh must establish their utmost superiority over these countries to make any impact in the world cup cricket 2007.

Bangladesh holds much better record against the leading minnow nations Zimbabwe and Kenya but the annoying fact is they never played these oppositions with a ruthless fashion which other top teams do. Bangladesh will be playing the tri-series in Antigua which is considered as the batting paradise of the Caribbeans. Canada and Bermuda has a less than decent bowling attack. All guns of Bangladesh team must utilize the opportunity in the best possible manner and show their might in the ruthless fashion by amassing huge total in both the matches. Same goes for the bowlers and they must distinguish themselves from ordinary attacks. Winning is important but a modest win against these oppositions will not add anything to Bangladesh's credit. Two thumping win will create some noise in the world cricket arena and draw some attention which Bangladesh badly needs in the upcoming world cup.

After the tri-series, Bangladesh will travel to lovely Barbados which has one of the most lively wickets of the Caribbeans. Bangladesh will find more similarity in wicket nature of Barbados and Trinidad compared to Antigua and Trinidad. At the same time, there will be some similarity in the strength of the oppositions. First warm up match against New Zealand is the most crucial affair for Bangladesh apart from the crucial world cup ties against India and Sri Lanka. Bangladesh failed miserably in all matches they played against New Zealand and never managed to cross even 200 in any of the seven matches played. After two and half years, it is the time to display some cricketing skill against the Kiwis and sneak a win to continue the momentum going. Even if, they fail to win, the match should be close enough to exhibit the change of gear, Bangladesh cricket made over the last one year. The cricket world will monitor this match closely as this will test Bangladesh's cricketing ability more than 10 matches against Zimbabwe or Kenya. The last practice match against Scotland must be another routine affair where Tigers will show their killing spree.

Photo : Tigers are keen to make an impact in the world cup. They must start their tour in the Caribbean with a bang.

Bangladesh failed to take the most ideal preparation for the world cup due to lack of matches against quality oppositions. Keeping that in mind, we must admit, Bangladesh managed to achieve the most from what was offered to them by the ICC. For the first time in their cricketing history, Bangladesh will be playing World Cup Cricket with the aim to reach the next round which their juniors achieved for the first time in last U-19 world cup. They have four one day matches to play, they must utilize these matches to build the momentum and reach the peak in right time. If they can do that, cricket world will experience a different Bangladesh who are ready to make a history.

bdcricmad

Cricket Spectator
BD fans are currently looking forward to Super 8 stage and even further, even final

We, the BD fans around the world, have got the necessary confidence in our beloved soldiers to announce clearly & loudly "We are the future champion of the World Cup, may even it be in this World Cup".

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

We, the BD fans around the world, have got the necessary confidence in our beloved soldiers to announce clearly & loudly "We are the future champion of the World Cup, may even it be in this World Cup".

The very last bit was not needed now please :blink:!!!!!
As much as I would love to dream about it, turning this side into the WC champ this competition is just a little too much :ph34r:!!!!!

However for the nonbelievers, watch out, you've got another thing coming :cool:.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nonbelievers in what, though?

I don't think anyone seriously believes Bangladesh aren't ever going to be international-class - just that they're currently being talked-up more than their achievements have merited. What they did a few days ago they've done before.

I'm not a nonbeliever - I'm someone who currently has no belief at all - it would be wise to wait a little while longer to form an assessment.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

Nonbelievers in what, though?

I don't think anyone seriously believes Bangladesh aren't ever going to be international-class - just that they're currently being talked-up more than their achievements have merited. What they did a few days ago they've done before.

I'm not a nonbeliever - I'm someone who currently has no belief at all - it would be wise to wait a little while longer to form an assessment.
Aaah, I never was talking about you :wacko:.....I am talking about a few who would say "they're good, but would lose to my team".....your reasoning is different and I appreciate it - proving consistancy :)!!!!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What they did a few days ago they've done before.
No they didn't. Their previous wins to Pakistan, India, Australia and Sri Lanka were nothing like their Group stage victory over India. If you watched those games, it'd be obvious to see.

Bangladesh's win over Australia was better from a feel-good point of view because it was so out of the blue, but from a cricketing perspective their win over India was far superior. Why? Because people said they have a chance of winning, they themselves said they have a chance of winning and should win if they play well, and they did.

Big difference.

Anyway, not going to get into a debate or anything but I just thought I'd make that clear. Back to Bangladesh's WC campaign, is it me or is Nafees' poor form have something to do with getting his wisdom teeth removed? I mean that generally hurts like a mother... yet the man's playing the most important tournament Bangladesh have ever played.

That or he's saving his form for the Super 8s :cool:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Back to Bangladesh's WC campaign, is it me or is Nafees' poor form have something to do with getting his wisdom teeth removed? I mean that generally hurts like a mother... yet the man's playing the most important tournament Bangladesh have ever played.

I hope so, I hate to see him in poor form. If he starts scoring runs at the top of the order, the pressure is taken off guys like Aftab and Tamim and they are less likely to get out playing a rash stroke.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

No they didn't. Their previous wins to Pakistan, India, Australia and Sri Lanka were nothing like their Group stage victory over India. If you watched those games, it'd be obvious to see.

Bangladesh's win over Australia was better from a feel-good point of view because it was so out of the blue, but from a cricketing perspective their win over India was far superior. Why? Because people said they have a chance of winning, they themselves said they have a chance of winning and should win if they play well, and they did.

Big difference.

Anyway, not going to get into a debate or anything but I just thought I'd make that clear. Back to Bangladesh's WC campaign, is it me or is Nafees' poor form have something to do with getting his wisdom teeth removed? I mean that generally hurts like a mother... yet the man's playing the most important tournament Bangladesh have ever played.

TBH when he got out LBW in the Bangladesh vs. India match I presumed from his playing that he was palying overly cautious. But after the Sri Lankan game, I decided to change my mind to "WTF is he doing?"

LBW in both the matches, the second one against Sri Lanka being the more pathetic of the two IMO!

He needs to break the shackles and play his natural game.
He has a good flair once he starts scoring and if he goes on to score over 40, almost always he has carried the bat to 80 or so. That of course is against the minnow teams, but none the less, he can score if he gets set and he NEEDS to play NOW if Bangladesh is to have any good chance of shinning in the Super 8s :dry:!!!!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah he's easily the best 'once set' batsman out of the non-major 8 nations. I remember in the CT Trophy qualifying matches, he needed a ton to allow me to win a most runs bet for Bangladesh. He was dropped on 0, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Then once he passed 15 he didn't look like going out at all. Was awesome to watch.

Bangladesh will need him to score at the top of the order if they want to have a chance in the Super 8s (obvious I know), and this game against Bermuda is his best chance to dig his boots in and get a huge score.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The fact that he is now regarded as Bangladesh's best ODI batsman may have a bearing on his form, we have to remember that he is only a young guy and that amount of pressure can be very difficult to handle.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wouldn't be surprised if we win a few games in the super8.
Well, you should quite obviously beat Ireland. There's one. It wouldn't shock me if Bangladesh won another game or two either - particularly looking in the direction of England and West Indies.

ekshi

Cricket Spectator
I'm surprised at seeing all these optimistic Bangladesh threads. I didn't even know they had any fans, well not for long.

I can't wait for the team to get bashed by all the other teams in the Super 8.