• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given the gap between point and less I'll leave the working-out of dumbaessness to others...

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Richard, we know what your feelings are and we don't want to hear them again. If you haven't got anything constructive to say, don't say anything.

Seriously, you're no better than Rodgie.

Jungle Jumbo

A woeful post, even by your standards. I suppose you'll never stop arguing what you don't know about.

In other news...I'd have the following squad for the World Cup

Shahriah Nafees Ahmed
Rajin Saleh
Aftab Ahmed
Mohammad Ashraful
Farhad Reza
Saqibal Hasan
*Habibul Bashar
+Mushfiqur Rahim
+Khaled Mashud
Mohammad Rafique
Abdur Razzaq
Mashrafe Mortaza
Syed Rasel
Shahadat Hossain
Mohammad Sharif

Shame I couldn't find a place for Javed, Tamim, Mehrab Jnr and Rana. I don't see too much potential in the pace department. Having seen Dollar live I don't think he's that great personally. Whatever happened to Shafaq?
IMO Javed almost certainly won't go, Tamim would be a wild card, Mehrab shouldn't go but probably will, and Rana hasn't been anywhere near the national team for the past year. Can't comment on Dollar - never seen him play. Shafaq is still in the big picture for Bangladesh A.

That looks a pretty strong squad above, but I think Mehrab will get the nod over Sharif. TBH I'd rather have Tamim than both of them though.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I picked Sharif because of the obvious lack of quality fast bowling options. You seriously can't go into the WC with only Mashrafe, Shahadat and Rasel. People could argue Farhad Reza but he's really just a Mahmud gentle medium I thought. Having said that Sharif's lost a bit of pace since he last played international cricket.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Just because Mashrafe is 23 doesn't mean he's a prospect, he's been around for ages now.

And yes, he's a decent bowler but to call him the leading ODI wicket-taker for 2006 is utterly laughable, given that no Bangladesh game merits ODI status, never mind Bermuda and Canada games.
Just because he's been around for a while doesn't mean he's not still young and has plenty of scope to improve.

And, the fact is that he took more wickets in games with ODI status than anyone else in 2006, therefore calling him the leading ODI wicket-taker for 2006 is not utterly laughable. It is correct. You having some vendetta against the smaller countries' rights to play games does not change facts.

Jungle Jumbo

I picked Sharif because of the obvious lack of quality fast bowling options. You seriously can't go into the WC with only Mashrafe, Shahadat and Rasel. People could argue Farhad Reza but he's really just a Mahmud gentle medium I thought. Having said that Sharif's lost a bit of pace since he last played international cricket.
I just think that seeing as we haven't really got any seamers beyond Mashrafe and Shahadat, we may as well play three spinners, even on a non-turning wicket. Reza is not much better than Aftab in my books. Tamim offers something almost completely different.

Jungle Jumbo

After today's events, it would probably be unfair to call Tamim a 'wildcard'. I reckon he'll go to Zimbabwe, and unless he fails there, to the World Cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just because he's been around for a while doesn't mean he's not still young and has plenty of scope to improve.
It doesn't indeed, but the word "prospect" isn't usually used to describe established quality cricketers.

Which is all that matters.
And, the fact is that he took more wickets in games with ODI status than anyone else in 2006, therefore calling him the leading ODI wicket-taker for 2006 is not utterly laughable. It is correct.
It's correct only if you lap-up the I$C$C$ nonsense about Bangladesh and all the other 7 teams being as good as the top 8.

If you have some sense and realise they're not, it's laughable.
You having some vendetta against the smaller countries' rights to play games does not change facts.
I have some vendetta to preserve the integrity of ODI cricket. I've no vendetta whatsoever against smaller countries' right to play games, none at all, I think it's great that they're playing against each other, it's far more likely to be of help than being thrashed non-stop. But to class the games ODIs denegrates the integrity of international cricket.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
It's correct only if you lap-up the I$C$C$ nonsense about Bangladesh and all the other 7 teams being as good as the top 8.
no because none of this are necessary... no one said the last eight are as good as the top 8 thats why they are the last eight. but if you were to go only by how good a team is than why even play sports because 1 should always beat 2 and all that stuff but thats why you play sport to get the most unexpected. so when brazil plays the some of the worst teams in football do their goals not count? do they not go into their records?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The integrity of international football is less important to all concerned than that of international cricket. There is little or no elitism in football whereas that's always been one of the most cherished parts of cricket.

No-one's saying Bangladesh don't deserve to play the top 8 teams, but

a) playing them and being constantly thrashed will do nought but harm

b) if they're going to play them they've got to get good enough first

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The integrity of international football is less important to all concerned than that of international cricket. There is little or no elitism in football whereas that's always been one of the most cherished parts of cricket.

No-one's saying Bangladesh don't deserve to play the top 8 teams, but

a) playing them and being constantly thrashed will do nought but harm

b) if they're going to play them they've got to get good enough first
How do you suggest they should improve?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What you're doing is clearly not necessary. You do it because you want to, not because there's any need.
8-) And if we go down that route there's no need for anything, because we're going to die anyway...

You know perfectly well what I mean - it's neccessary for me to point-out regularly that Bangladesh (and all the other substandard teams, too, it's just that there's never any disagreement whatsoever there) are not and never have been good enough to be classed as a Test and ODI-playing team. Otherwise people will try to give the lack of such a thing as reasons why they should be allowed to overrate players by including games against them in ODI stats.

Dasa

8-) And if we go down that route there's no need for anything, because we're going to die anyway...

You know perfectly well what I mean - it's neccessary for me to point-out regularly that Bangladesh (and all the other substandard teams, too, it's just that there's never any disagreement whatsoever there) are not and never have been good enough to be classed as a Test and ODI-playing team. Otherwise people will try to give the lack of such a thing as reasons why they should be allowed to overrate players by including games against them in ODI stats.
What you either don't understand, or are just too stubborn to understand, is that we all know your opinion already!. There's no need to clog up threads just because you think you have some sort of duty to inform everyone else of your 'facts'. You can believe what you want, just don't annoy everyone else. It's incredibly arrogant and disrespectful of everyone else on the forum.