Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Bangladesh Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    He just averages low 20s like all their other crappy players over the years, he's pretty much your garden variety dire Bangladeshi batsman circa 2000-2006....whereas imo atm their top order is (a little bit) better than in the past and actually has some players who have performed at a higher standard thus far.
    So did Jacob Oram and Brendon McCullum before their recent heroics during the CB and Chappell Hadlee series. His average doesn't do him justice, and I'm sure that excuse has been used before. He quite clearly is one of their best batsman, despite having a low average. Everybody knows what he is capable of and how classy he is, once he starts stringing the performances together then people like you will be able to see aswell.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    So did Jacob Oram and Brendon McCullum before their recent heroics during the CB and Chappell Hadlee series.
    That's completely different as they are lower order players. And Oram has been crap with the bat most of his ODI career.

His average doesn't do him justice, and I'm sure that excuse has been used before. He quite clearly is one of their best batsman, despite having a low average. Everybody knows what he is capable of and how classy he is, once he starts stringing the performances together then people like you will be able to see aswell.
    Exactly, it's an excuse. To be a good batsman you score runs, Ashraful doesn't. 5 and a half years into his career and the most anyone could possibly say is that he has perceived potential combined with pathetic performance.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    That's completely different as they are lower order players. And Oram has been crap with the bat most of his ODI career.
    Wasn't really a good example to be using.

Exactly, it's an excuse. To be a good batsman you score runs, Ashraful doesn't. 5 and a half years into his career and the most anyone could possibly say is that he has perceived potential combined with pathetic performance.
    He was thrust into International cricket at such a young age that chances of him succeeding were going to be very slim, he has had some very good performances though and needs to be more consistent with them in order to be recognised as a good batsman. Perceived potential? Are you saying that you don't think Ashraful has any potential?

I never said that. I give Bangladesh credit for two good wins and I absolutely loved it- but that has nothing to do with the consistently woeful performances of one Mohammad Ashraful over the years.
    That may be so, but he's also almost single handedly been the cause of their two biggest victories in their ODI cricket history, at least in terms of opposition.

Bangladesh shouldn't build the team around him, definitely not, but he's a pure matchwinner when he's on.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It really is crazy, you know - I come on CW full of intention on saying well done to Bangladesh, it seems they might actually finally be getting somewhere - and all I get the chance to do is respond to crap like this.
    I think the phrase that springs to mind is "you reap what you sow"
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post

Ah Robbins, and I though you and Dicko were back on good terms again......
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Again?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    No, it's "some people can't let some things go..."

Quote Originally Posted by cricman View Post
    Alright Richard, Keep the bringing the Hate at some point you must realize how stupid you sound espically talking about Ashraful the way you are. The skill set is all their for him to be a Top 5 Batsmen in the world, he might not have it upstairs with shot selection at times but when his his brain his working i'll take him over anybatsmen in international cricket.
    That's such nonsense it beggars belief.

Anyhow - enough has been said about Ashraful, th, Rob and Perm have said it all IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    TBH Richard, I would care less to understand the First-chance average theory, then almost anything in this world.

Its pure theoretical nonsense you only bring up, when someone you decide isn't any good does well, IMHO. That or "luckiness".
    No, not in your opinion - in your perception. And you typify as well as anyone the lack of understanding. You cannot have an opinion, because you do not understand. And without understanding there can be no counter-comments that can be taken seriously.
    If you will make such risible comments, expect to be ribbed.
    I'll "rib" back anything thrown my way - simple as.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    This comment in particular, utter twaddle, so if a player Richard doesn't like scores runs its a poor bowling performance
    There have been a few people who've got that sort of thing into their heads down the years.

Most have eventually grown out of it, so there's hope yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    yeah i know but that's not always the case and the batsmen are still given credit to. But richard just refuses to give credit to ashraful and proabably any minnows.
    Rubbish, I've given credit to countless players who play for substandard sides. Not rubbish players like Ashraful, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    so the first chance stuff does rear its head , as predicted
    I wasn't the one that brought it up. You were the first to mention that he'd been - possibly - dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    was he dropped, or was there the suspicion of a catch by Boucher that wasnt given? If there was a dropped catch I missed it!!!!

But anyway, this is what I feel Richard has been guilty of in the past, and I think he is guilty of here, just assuming something because of prejudices he has against certain players or teams, based merely on a scorecard or what some writer has written (of course the writer must be one he likes!!!).
    All I've heard has been that which has been posted on here.
    The fact of the matter is, despite a (possible) chance given (maybe!!!), Ashraful's innings was a pure gem, under the pressure of B'desh being in quite a bit of trouble. Some of the shots he played were top notch. One of the innings of the tournament.
    And it wouldn't have been a gem if he'd been out when he (possibly) could have been. Simple as.

Yeah, yeah - 9 in a row.

Yes, it was neccessary.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread Information