• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Prelimanary squad of 30

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Seen Hussey don the gloves a few times in domestic cricket, when the keeper's gone down.

The difference there is that Maher, AFAIK, had never kept before when he started taking the gloves.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Seen Hussey don the gloves a few times in domestic cricket, when the keeper's gone down.

The difference there is that Maher, AFAIK, had never kept before when he started taking the gloves.
Yeah I've seen Hussey keep in domestic cricket too.

Maher had never done it in first class or List A games, but he had done it in club cricket and always rated himself - they tried him out in a game or two before the World Cup and the backed him to do the job during the tournament. He did a good job of it too as far as I'm concerned.

But as I said, Haddin is near enough to being next in line on batting alone so I'm sure they'll take him along.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
IMO, Aus should make it interesting and give everyone a chance.

1. J Maher (c)
2. M Elliott
3. B Hodge
4. G Blewett
5. M Love
6. J Hopes
7. G Manou (wk)
8. A Bird
9. N Hauritz
10. B Dorey
11. M Lewis

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I would say this will be the squad

1. Adam Gilchrist+
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Ricky Ponting*
4. Michael Clarke
5. Andrew Symonds
6. Michael Hussey
7. Cameron White
8. Brett Lee
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Nathan Bracken
11. Glenn McGrath

12. Brad Haddin+
13. Brad Hogg
14. Shane Watson
15. Stuart Clark

as for my pick, im not sure on Hayden opening - but im not sure who i would replace him with. I would like to see Haddin get a go but the selectors wont do that unless there is some sort of emergency i dont think. Maybe having Clarke open and Watson at 4 would be better.
Agreed, on Hayden position if he is dropped between now & the WC i'd rather Clarke/Watson as you mentioned go up the order instead of calling up Jaques (even if he hits form again).

I'd like to see Hopes make the squad as well, but that would depend on if the selectors want the extra keeper or not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maher kept quite adequately in the World Cup IMO...
That's exactly the problem.

Picking a batsman with no real wicketkeeping skill - and having him turn-in a not-disastrous performance - sends a terrible message to state wicketkeepers, as Darren Berry pointed-out at the time.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I would say this will be the squad

1. Adam Gilchrist+
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Ricky Ponting*
4. Michael Clarke
5. Andrew Symonds
6. Michael Hussey
7. Cameron White
8. Brett Lee
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Nathan Bracken
11. Glenn McGrath

12. Brad Haddin+
13. Brad Hogg
14. Shane Watson
15. Stuart Clark

as for my pick, im not sure on Hayden opening - but im not sure who i would replace him with. I would like to see Haddin get a go but the selectors wont do that unless there is some sort of emergency i dont think. Maybe having Clarke open and Watson at 4 would be better.

I think you've pretty much got the squad down pat.

I do feel that Brad Hogg should play in the X1. I think spin will be important in the West Indies.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

1. J Maher (c)
2. M Elliott
3. B Hodge
4. G Blewett
5. M Love
6. J Hopes
7. G Manou (wk)
8. A Bird
9. N Hauritz
10. B Dorey
11. M Lewis
They'd probably still beat England:(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

1. J Maher (c)
2. M Elliott
3. B Hodge
4. G Blewett
5. M Love
6. J Hopes
7. G Manou (wk)
8. A Bird
9. N Hauritz
10. B Dorey
11. M Lewis
Non-Bird NSWers banned or something?

Native NSWers, anyway.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Feel so sorry for dizzy

I think it was joke leaving dizzy gillespie out of the 30 squad he is one of best fast bowlers in the world younger than most Aussie pro bowlers he is just 31 and he is disgraced like this for all thathe has done for the team and they say he is too old and pick Shane harwood instead why such double standards he has been made a scapegoat for the ashes loss in 05 it was one bad series for him and he is chucked out after that how fair is that ?

luffy

International Captain
I think it was joke leaving dizzy gillespie out of the 30 squad he is one of best fast bowlers in the world younger than most Aussie pro bowlers he is just 31 and he is disgraced like this for all thathe has done for the team and they say he is too old and pick Shane harwood instead why such double standards he has been made a scapegoat for the ashes loss in 05 it was one bad series for him and he is chucked out after that how fair is that ?
What are you talking about he hardly played in the 05 Ashes Series. He is not up to the standerds he was playing with say 2 years ago, at least he can say he finished his International Career with a Double-Century

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe anyone is suggesting Watson shouldn't be in the ODI side. White will definitely make the squad, but I'd be surprised if he was in the starting team, and if he is it'll be as a batsman who fills in overs and plays at 7, with Watson opening.

Johnners

Yeah Watson should slot straight back into the Starting line-up afaic. His bowling is crucial, as it allows us the freedom to play Hogg, who is by far the best spin option.

gwo

U19 Debutant
Hows this for the 15 now?

Gilchrist
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Clark
Lee
Johnson
Bracken

Pick 6 of the following 7

Hayden
Hilfy
McGrath
Haddin
Watson
White
Hogg

I would tend to drop McGrath out of the 7.

Other people who have low chance imo...
Tait, Hodge...

Johnners

tbh McGrath has it all over Clark when it comes to ODI's, as does Hilfenhaus (despite the fact that he's only played 1 game)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hilfenhaus's chances seem numbered now that even Tait is in front of him as far as ODI selection is concerned (for some strange reason). I'd take Hilfenhaus over Clark in ODIs, even if I do feel that Hilfenhaus is a tad over-rated at this point. Hopefully Tait actually plays in the one of the remaining matches of the CB series otherwise his addition to the squad would be ridiculously pointless.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hows this for the 15 now?

Gilchrist
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Clark
Lee
Johnson
Bracken

Pick 6 of the following 7

Hayden
Hilfy
McGrath
Haddin
Watson
White
Hogg

I would tend to drop McGrath out of the 7.

Other people who have low chance imo...
Tait, Hodge...
I'll give you 500-1 odds that McGrath goes to the World Cup, injury permitting.