Thread: Australia again?

Australia again?

Australia will win the world cup once again, there might be a number of teams who are likely to do well but it all boils down to the match against australia. we have seen this time and time again that even if a team is in good form in a particular tournament, they never seem to be able to beat australia specially in the final, there is such a huge gap between the first and the second team that u might aswell compare the second team to a 5th or 6th ranked team then compare them to australia. If any team wants to think of winning the world cup, its the mental preparation of beating the current champions then anything else. thoughts???
    Wasim Akram: The most sKiLlFuL bowler in history!

Mcgrath said he is fond of the genius "Akram would power through the crease and do whatever he wanted with the old and new ball"

Allan Border "If I ever get a chance to be reborn as a cricketer, I would want to be Wasim"

Richards, Tendulkar and Waugh described Akram as the most dangerous bowler they had ever faced.

> > > Wasims Magic Delivery. Late Swing. Hatrick. < < <

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I don't think you can say "never", in this case. Australia are still pretty comfortably the best ODI side in the world in my opinion, and at full strength there's no team that matches them player for player, but that doesn't mean that on any given day another side couldn't quite easily beat them, even in a final. All it takes is a batting collapse, a brilliant innings from one player, a great spell of bowling or whatever, and you're in a winning position in a knockout match.

In this coming World Cup in particular, the teams ranked from 2 to 7 are all quite talented and have a number of quality players. Especially with the likelyhood of flat wickets and small grounds, any of them could concievably win the World Cup with a bit of luck.

Having said all that, Australia are still the safe bet, and I think they might well make it three in a row.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Well, they're a good side, so its likely.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

90% sure at this stage that they'll make it 3 in a row.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I basically agree with Fuller - I reckon Aus probably will win, but wouldn't bet against any of the other top seven sides. Well, maybe Pakistan, who will imo struggle without their best fast bowlers. So for me, any one of six will win the WC but probably Australia.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I am 90% sure that Australia WON'T win the WC. Obviously it is not based on logic but I have this really strong feeling that it will be some other side.

And BTW, while I agree that man for man, this Aussie side (in ODIs, that is) is probably one of the best ever, it hasn't exactly translated on to performance on the field. Their matches are getting closer than they used and except in the finals, they are always in more than a spot of bother before they actually win the games these days. They just don't seem to be as dominant as they used to be, for some reason or the other.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

can't see past a fully fit australia...if the ashes takes its toll and key players get injured or go out of form, other teams might just have a chance....

Australia are easily the favorites to win it all.
    It will require individual brilliance (Tendulkar, Lara, Ntini or Bond IMO) to defeat them.

I also have a bad feeling about this.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Spectator
    Every single team should aim to get Australia out as quickly as possible from the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by zayn
    Every single team should aim to get Australia out as quickly as possible from the World Cup.
    easier said that done...

Thread Information