• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could the 2007 World Cup, be the most exciting ever?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I really think it could be. With the majority of the grounds in the caribbean likely to be fairly small, pitches very batsman friendly & the increase in scoring rates amongst the top sides which i think has been helped by the introduction of 20/20 cricket which has lead to some big scores in one-day cricket over the past 18 months or so.

I really think we are going to see some really big scores next year amongst the major nations due to those facts, the caribbean IMO looks tailor made for aggressive batsmen & the top 8 nations once they go full-strenght have very strong batting line-ups.

So for me, i think the winner of the world cup will be the sides with the best bowling attack, and IMO Australia/South Africa/Pakistan have the best all-round bowling attacks in One-day cricket to bowl in most circumstances especially in the crucial death overs, so once they have all their best players available i strongly believe these three (3) sides have the best chances of coming out victorious next year. But overall i expect next year to be the best ever.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
More runs = boring cricket.
well maybe if its get to the extent where the bowling attack is totally unpenetrative, but in most cases i don't think it would be.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What's the best ODI match ever? SA vs. Aus WC 99.

How many runs were scored in that match? Not too many.

You need a mix of high scoring games and low scoring games and anything in the middle, if you have too many of one, then it gets boring.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:

You need a mix of high scoring games and low scoring games and anything in the middle, if you have too many of one, then it gets boring.
Its up there, but i'd say the game at Jo'burg was better along with the IND/PAK, Karachi 2004. You are probably right, but i still reckon next year has the capability of being the best ever.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
Its up there, but i'd say the game at Jo'burg was better along with the IND/PAK, Karachi 2004. You are probably right, but i still reckon next year has the capability of being the best ever.
It will only be the greatest tournament ever if either of these two things happen:

The team batting first doesn't consistently bat the other team out of the game.

Or the team batting 2nd can consistently compete in chasing down big totals.

If the team batting first continually wins with big scores that are basically imposible to chase down, it will be the most boring World Cup ever.

What South Africa did to Australia earlier this year can not be done match after match.

luffy

International Captain
Jono said:

SA vs AUS earlier this year. More than 800 run scored. Need i say more...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
It will only be the greatest tournament ever if either of these two things happen:

The team batting first doesn't consistently bat the other team out of the game.

Or the team batting 2nd can consistently compete in chasing down big totals.
Both are possible because, the grounds are small & the pitches are flat are big scores can be scored regulary & all of the top eight sides have good enough batting to be competitve in a chase.

luffy

International Captain
howardj said:
Not if Simon Katich has his way!
Some people dont give Katich enough credit. True he may not be an explosive scorer like the rest of the squad he still scores runs but he is consistent and often holds an innings together.

Mister Wright

luffy said:
Some people dont give Katich enough credit. True he may not be an explosive scorer like the rest of the squad he still scores runs but he is consistent and often holds an innings together.
Fair enough Katich gets a bit more slack than he should, but really, with Australia batting down to 9, sometimes 10, do we really need an anchor?

If given the choice of Katich, Hayden, Jaques or even Cosgrove, I think Katich would be the last choice of many.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luffy said:
No he doesn't. He gets 20 off 50 balls and then gets out, with Gilchrist on 70 at the other end. :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It could be one of the greatest ever with Pollock, McGrath, Lara, Gilly, Sachin and Inzy likely playing their last World Cups. If even one have a huge swansong performance it'll make for great viewing.

Mister Wright

Jono said:
It could be one of the greatest ever with Pollock, McGrath, Lara, Gilly, Sachin and Inzy likely playing their last World Cups. If even one have a huge swansong performance it'll make for great viewing.
Inzi is about the only player still around since the 1992 World Cup, which means it would be his 5th World Cup in a row (92,96,99,03 & 07) assuming he was selected in all of them. Which must be close to some kind of record?

Not sure if Lara and Tendulkar were at the '92 World Cup.