• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could the 2007 World Cup, be the most exciting ever?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yea Lara & Tendulkar were, but i think the record for most apperances in world cup is 6 by Miandad 75-96

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
It could be one of the greatest ever with Pollock, McGrath, Lara, Gilly, Sachin and Inzy likely playing their last World Cups. If even one have a huge swansong performance it'll make for great viewing.
Good point. All WCs have guys who are playing their last but this one could be the swansong for a number of all-timers.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
i think ODI should have grounds that favor balling and others that favor batting and some with both...mix it up...because we already have 20/20 for sloging and flat pitches...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
luffy said:
SA vs AUS earlier this year. More than 800 run scored. Need i say more...
Yes it was good, but not the best ever. A great match is where bat and ball have an even running, and one that has good everything, not just a glut of runs.

howardj

International Coach
This is shaping up to be a run leaden World Cup. Some of the scores that teams are posting are quite freakish. On the small grounds and lifeless wickets of the West Indies, I honestly don't think you're safe with 350. The grounds and pitches will bring teams much closer together I think. The benign conditions will certainly play into the hands, and bring back into contention, some of the subcontinent teams. It'll be in the mould of the 1996 World Cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In that that established the 300-plus score as not-OOTQ and this might do the same with the 370-380 one? :wacko:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
too much runs man...looking at the scores in recent odis like 390? etc come on i thought 20/20 wouln't effect it but i was wrong, dam too much runs. odi and test stadiums should now have a bigger minimum requirement in terms of the playing field while 20/20 have a smaller minimam requirement. whats the largest WI stadium in terms of playing field or the crowd stance?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The increase in runs started long before any Twenty20, domestic or international, started.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
how could it be kept down to a average of 250? because when it becomes too much runs it starts to get boring. right now in like 5 years the average will be like 350 or something going at this rate... there should be bigger field requirement so even if batsmen plays a lot of shots in wont always be 4 or 6

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really think it could be. With the majority of the grounds in the caribbean likely to be fairly small, pitches very batsman friendly & the increase in scoring rates amongst the top sides which i think has been helped by the introduction of 20/20 cricket which has lead to some big scores in one-day cricket over the past 18 months or so.

I really think we are going to see some really big scores next year amongst the major nations due to those facts, the caribbean IMO looks tailor made for aggressive batsmen & the top 8 nations once they go full-strenght have very strong batting line-ups.

So for me, i think the winner of the world cup will be the sides with the best bowling attack, and IMO Australia/South Africa/Pakistan have the best all-round bowling attacks in One-day cricket to bowl in most circumstances especially in the crucial death overs, so once they have all their best players available i strongly believe these three (3) sides have the best chances of coming out victorious next year. But overall i expect next year to be the best ever.
It's already been said, but I don't think scores of 300+ really make for good cricket. The batting isn't actually improving - the bowling is just becoming more and more unthreatening due to the pitches.

Close matches, even competition and most importantly, a good balance where the best players of all varieties will shine, are what make for exciting cricket for mine - not Dhoni hitting lots of sixes.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well i still have high hopes that it could be, Australia may be favourites but now all the top 8 have a genuine chance to win. Can't wait until the tournament starts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Close matches, even competition and most importantly, a good balance where the best players of all varieties will shine, are what make for exciting cricket for mine - not Dhoni hitting lots of sixes.
All the same - Dhoni is a fine ODI player and IMO the game's better with him that without.

Evermind

International Debutant
This world cup may not be as exciting as one would've hoped, purely because of the overplaying of players results from the awful tour schedules drawn by the greedy SOBs at ICC. Let's take a look at some of the exciting players who may be out injured during the cup and miss out on some or all of the matches:

A Symonds
J Oram
B Lee
I Pathan (not out of any matches in the cup yet, but really, what's the deal here? He hasn't played for so long!)
M Vaughan (well he's not really very exciting TBH - I'd keep him out of England's first XI)
J Anderson
J Lewis ("Michael Vaughan, James Anderson and Jon Lewis are all still recovering from injuries at present and have been named in the squad subject to a further re-assessment prior to our departure for the Caribbean" - sounds ominous :unsure:)
S Akhtar (a cheat and a pampered brat but he's kinda exciting to watch on his day)
U Gul
R Sarwan (one of WI's best ODI prospects. Injury though was picked up in domestic cricket - not strictly ICC's fault)
K Mills
M Sami (well, if I were a Pak supporter, I'd be hoping he wouldn't be fit, but he IS up for selection for the squad, so I thought I'd put him in)
S Ahmed (up for selection)

I'm sure there are some I'm missing out. It seems like SA and SL are the only major teams not to be plagued by injury. The above amounts to a full squad of first XIs out from injury - like a whole international team that just couldn't turn up.

Also, on a random note, I can't believe Pakistan are choosing Imran Nazir to open - it's really hard to believe he's even in the squad! He's dreadful. If Asif somehow gets injured/fatigued because of overuse from the SA tour, Pak can say goodbye to the WC. Without Asif, Akhtar and Gul, they have absolutely no hope of winning.

Last edited: