• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Power Play be used at World Cup 2007

Should Power Play be used at next World Cup(2007)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/246372.html

This news item on latest ICC cricket committee meeting suggests ICC have decided to persevere with the Power Play . This just means only one thing - it is likely to be used at the next World Cup .

I personally never liked the Power Play idea because it makes ODIs which are already in favour of batsman, even more in batsmans favour with a further 5 overs of field restrictions to smash another 50 odd runs . It also makes run chases even more difficult and thus gives the Team winning the toss a huge advantage .

What does everyone else on CW think ?

oz_fan

International Regular
IMO they shouldn't be used at the world cup. 15 overs of fielding restrictions was and is enough. The ICC introduced the powerplay as a "stratergy" option but the captains just use them up between overs 10 - 20.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
It was good when it was 15
When they used PP i thought 15 overs was good
I still think 15 overs is good

pasag

RTDAS
No way. They annoy everybody from the spectators to the players. The captains dont use them in statergy, they just try get them out of the way as soon as possible.

They are a huge faliure and should be scrapped even before the WC, for the ICC Trophy. Super Subs were scrapped, same should happen to powerplays.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The only possible way the PP could be interesting is if it were the batting side that called it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
oz_fan said:
IMO they shouldn't be used at the world cup. 15 overs of fielding restrictions was and is enough. The ICC introduced the powerplay as a "stratergy" option but the captains just use them up between overs 10 - 20.
Captains have started to use them differently now, it's a case of getting used to the rules and working how to deal with it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:
The only possible way the PP could be interesting is if it were the batting side that called it.
But then it'd just be used in the last 10 overs, a period which the head honchos at the ICC would think isn't a problem period of ODIs for them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
luckyeddie said:
So the 500 barrier could then be broken?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
One of the most "overrated" innovations is/was the restrictions on fielders outside the circle between overs 15-30, which was used in the ING cup in Australia. That rule killed OD spinners in Aus domestic cricket for quite a while.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the Powerplay rule should stay. Mostly, they are just taken between 10-20 but then again, it is not too much different from the straight up 15 over restrictions we used to have. At least now, the captains have the OPTION of delaying it. It could be a useful tactic under hot conditions, as DRavid showed in the recent ODIs against England.

adharcric

International Coach
I have a similar attitude towards the PowerPlay rule. I don't see how there's a problem with it, and although it hasn't been used tactically on too many occasions thus far, we've seen that it certainly can be used to add a harmless twist to the game.