• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne Plans World Cup Comeback

howardj

International Coach
Given that he is the most famous, and one of the all-time best, cricketers in the world, I felt this news deserves a thread on its own. Most people were of the understanding that he'd ruled out a comeback. He'd definitely be a major asset for Australia, on the slow Carribean wickets.

adharcric

International Coach
This should definitely be interesting. If Warne makes the comeback, say goodbye to Dan Cullen's chances.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ha, Warne is full of surprises. To be honest i think Australia can do without him since Hogg has done very well in his 3 years as Australia main OD spinner.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure whether to be happy or not. I'm glad that he might be coming back, but the fact that his late participation may mean that a youngster like Dan Cullen will miss out isn't the best thing for Australia.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
A bowler of Warne's class will obviously be a huge bonus in a world cup. It will be a disappointment for Hogg, but there's no doubt about who the better bowler is, however good Hogg is in the shorter form.

oz_fan

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
A bowler of Warne's class will obviously be a huge bonus in a world cup. It will be a disappointment for Hogg, but there's no doubt about who the better bowler is, however good Hogg is in the shorter form.
Is it out of question that Australia would play two spinners? The pitches in the WI are suppose to be assist them.

Maybe they could go with:
Gilchrist
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Watson/Bracken (Bracken at 10)
Warne
Hogg
Lee
McGrath

Still allows three seamers. Watson if you want stronger batting or Bracken for stronger bowling.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Two ways of looking at it:

Warney is coming to the end of his career, and probably wants to go out with the WC and AShes as his last series in ODIs and Tests respectively.

But it is also kinda a backward step. I think the Aussies have done well enough post Warne in ODIs and he won't be missed as much in ODIs as he will be in tests. So, this is going backwards for sure.

Plus after a possibly very intense Ashes series, do you think he will have enough left in him to come back and do it all again in the WC,esp. on what would probably be flat pitches and small boundaries?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Two ways of looking at it:

Warney is coming to the end of his career, and probably wants to go out with the WC and AShes as his last series in ODIs and Tests respectively.

But it is also kinda a backward step. I think the Aussies have done well enough post Warne in ODIs and he won't be missed as much in ODIs as he will be in tests. So, this is going backwards for sure.

Plus after a possibly very intense Ashes series, do you think he will have enough left in him to come back and do it all again in the WC,esp. on what would probably be flat pitches and small boundaries?
good points as i mentioned before Australia have enough to do without him in the OD team, and i personally would like Warne to stick to test cricket and play until 40. But there is no doubt about his quality, but i think Warne should forget about ODI's since Hogg has been doing a superb job over the past 3 years as the lead ODI spinner.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If he is in form and fit enough to play ODIs, why not. But that would mean his participation in ODIs from now itself, definately a setback for some youngsters but if he is able to perform at the level he is known for then I think it would be great for the World Cup, fans and aussie team as well.