• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web World Cup Ladders

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
"Pakistan- Woefully inconsistent."

Are they? I mean other than the recent Indian defeat. Pakistan's form in one day cricket over the past twelve months has been excellent, series wins against England, Sri Lanka (away), India (away) and the West Indies (away), 4 out of 5 is not woefully inconsistent.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
adharcric said:
Well Neil, this is the ladder you were referring to that day ... yeah, you obviously did have some trouble beyond the obvious choices.:)

Some of the stuff you've written is rather pathetic, I must say. No offense.
Remember it's supposed to be heavily tongue-in-cheek.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TT Boy said:
"Pakistan- Woefully inconsistent."

Are they? I mean other than the recent Indian defeat. Pakistan's form in one day cricket over the past twelve months has been excellent, series wins against England, Sri Lanka (away), India (away) and the West Indies (away), 4 out of 5 is not woefully inconsistent.
History dictates inconsistency in matters of big tournaments. That as well as they can cruise to a series win on month and struggle to defeat another. They may be turning around that reputation now, but the reason why they're not strong favourites to win the World Cup is their past experience of inconsistency.

adharcric

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Remember it's supposed to be heavily tongue-in-cheek.
It's all good. I just had higher expectations, hoping for expert analysis and I read about Pathan being an under-15 pie chucker and a left-handed Shane Warne with the bat.:laugh:

How dare you!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
hmm interesting that PLunkett is put in the first choice XI, wouldn't necessarily have him in the squad myself. In fact i could see him sinking without trace this year.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I hope it doesn't sound like im having a go but
about paul weekes said:
. If he continues as the top List A run-scorer in the country, that could become more difficult in future.
Paul Weekes is nearly 37, Neil has more chance of making the WC squad than him.

No Dmitri Mascerenhas (sp), Afzaal, Sidebottom. Greame Swann, Middlebrook or Napier are much more likley amongst spinners than Panesar.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nice idea,

If I see any pointers I let you know.

One off the top of my head is that Amla is 23 yrs old.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Also regarding SA.

The target of 7 non-white players in the 15-16 man squad has been set from a high level.

* Note the word target rather than quota but if it is not close to being satisfied there will be people joining the unemployment line.

There will be a minimum of 6 non-white players in the squad and the ladder should reflect this. At the moment there are only 4 (Gibbs, Prince, Ntini and Langeveldt) in the 16. This will not happen in real life.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
In the 'England and One Day Cricket?' thread Afzaal is getting a lot of votes to fill a batting slot yet is not mentioned in the England ladder.

I know he has been out of the set-up but he is more likely to be picked than some of the kids listed.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
adharcric said:
It's all good. I just had higher expectations, hoping for expert analysis and I read about Pathan being an under-15 pie chucker and a left-handed Shane Warne with the bat.:laugh:

How dare you!
Ah, you were never gonna get expert analysis. We probably should have mentioned that at the top.

I was more thinking of Jono when I wrote that bit about Pathan, but hey. And on a less sarcastic note, I genuinely coach an Under 15 who bowls at the same pace as IKP (he's in the West of England squad, mind), and the first thing I thought when I saw Pathan batting was "he looks like Warney". That's probably cause it was 7am, I'd been up three hours and was desperate for muffins at the time.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
"Hondo will give away many many runs. He will occasionally take wickets. He will always remain enthusiastic."

Love it..:laugh: Amazing how little it takes to be the 4th ranked player in Zim.

adharcric

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Ah, you were never gonna get expert analysis. We probably should have mentioned that at the top.

I was more thinking of Jono when I wrote that bit about Pathan, but hey. And on a less sarcastic note, I genuinely coach an Under 15 who bowls at the same pace as IKP (he's in the West of England squad, mind), and the first thing I thought when I saw Pathan batting was "he looks like Warney". That's probably cause it was 7am, I'd been up three hours and was desperate for muffins at the time.
For the sake of muffins, I'll excuse your blasphemic accusations towards the promising IKP.:cool:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
adharcric said:
For the sake of muffins, I'll excuse your blasphemic accusations towards the promising IKP.:cool:
Now you know that you know it was mean to be a Peter Kay stand-up ather than a four-hour Peter Jackson masterpiece, does it deserve more than a 'pathetic'?

adharcric

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Now you know that you know it was mean to be a Peter Kay stand-up ather than a four-hour Peter Jackson masterpiece, does it deserve more than a 'pathetic'?
:wacko:
You mean ... "Now that you know it was meant to be a Peter Kay stand-up rather than a four-hour Peter Jackson masterpiece, does it deserve more than a 'pathetic'?"

Pathetic. Nothing more, nothing less.:) (You also ignored Dhoni's composure in ODIs, he does know more than aggression ..)

adharcric

International Coach
Btw Neil, are you telling me that you guys spent all this time making ladders for comedic effect rather than serious cricketing matters? Really?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
Btw Neil, are you telling me that you guys spent all this time making ladders for comedic effect rather than serious cricketing matters? Really?
I'd guess that the time they spent making the rankings themselves would have been done in all seriousness. The comments, not so much.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
adharcric said:
The brief was "feel free to have fun with it. Humour, sarcasm, anything to make it interesting. Note that the key players may be stated in more detail, but generally try to keep descriptions to a couple of lines."