• Australia-SA-Pak-NZ

10 20.83%
  • Australia-India-SA-Pak

20 41.67%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Semifinalists for WC '07!!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    It's no more batsman-orientated than it was 13 years ago.
    So 13 years ago they had 20 overs of fielding restrictions then?

Didn't think so.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    They had 15 - of which all 15 were far more stringent than 10 of the current time's.
    In any case - are you seriously claiming that the game is much different now than a year ago? If anything, the fact that the field-restrictions are now more under the fielding-captain's control has made the game less bat-friendly, as well as less predictable. Good, imaginative captaincy (on the rare occasion we've seen it) has actually demonstrated how the PowerPlays can be used (and not used) to contain.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

That is just small part of the game which is clearly now more batsman friendly.

When you add small things like the flatter pitches and smaller boundaries, it's clearly far more swewed towards the batsman then it used to be.

Small boundaries don't make accurate bowling any easier to get away. They just make wayward bowling more likely to end-up being 5.5-an-over rather than 4.7-an-over.
    Flat pitches don't make accurate bowling any easier to get away - they just make wicket-taking harder.
    Funny how you changed tack when you were proven wrong on the field-restrictions...

I have not been proven wrong on the fielding restrictions as there are more now than there were a year ago. Or are you going to deny that 20 is bigger than 15?

You were wrong that they made the game more batsman-friendly.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I didn't think it was a secret that the game has become more batsman-friendly.

The boundaries are shorter boundaries certainly contribute to faster scoring Richard, and I don't see how you can argue otherwise. A top-edge pull shot or cut shot that may have been caught in the deep may now fly for six. A miscued slog which could have been caught has a better chance of being six runs.

Accurate bowling on a flat pitch just makes it easier for the batsman to premeditate. The ball isn't going to zip around or bounce awkwardly, so the batsman can trust his shots more readily and make room or charge down the track. He knows basically where the ball is going to be due to the accuracy. That's why even the best bowlers go for runs sometimes. Wow...

Look at the results! See how often teams chase 280+ and with what kind of ease.
    Really, this is one of your more bizarre arguments. You genuinely believe that the game is not more batsman-friendly now than ever before?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    I didn't think it was a secret that the game has become more batsman-friendly.

The boundaries are shorter boundaries certainly contribute to faster scoring Richard, and I don't see how you can argue otherwise. A top-edge pull shot or cut shot that may have been caught in the deep may now fly for six. A miscued slog which could have been caught has a better chance of being six runs.
    Yes, maybe occasionally, but no more than that.
    Really - it's not like boundaries have been brought in Twenty20 style. You don't all that often see balls falling inside the ground over the rope. Yes, you do see it sometimes but it's far more common for it to go flying into the crowd. Not to mention that most of the occasions where it falls inside the perimiter over the rope it's away from a deep-fielder, so had the rope been back it'd have been for, rather than out.
    Accurate bowling on a flat pitch just makes it easier for the batsman to premeditate. The ball isn't going to zip around or bounce awkwardly, so the batsman can trust his shots more readily and make room or charge down the track. He knows basically where the ball is going to be due to the accuracy. That's why even the best bowlers go for runs sometimes. Wow...
    So accuracy is bad now?
    No, even on the flattest of pitches, by-and-large accurate bowling will be economical. If the wicketkeeper stands up to the stumps, of course, even the option of going down the pitch is eliminated.
    Look at the results! See how often teams chase 280+ and with what kind of ease.
    Really, this is one of your more bizarre arguments. You genuinely believe that the game is not more batsman-friendly now than ever before?
    Err, that's down to the general deterioration in the standard of the bowling.

Australia and South Africa are the two most consistant one day teams so they should have no problem reaching the semi final stage. The other two can come from any of the test nations minus Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, and anyone can win from there.

Australia, India, South Africa and Pakistan.

Australia, New Zealand, England and Pakistan.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

I don't know why people rate England so much as an ODI side. They aren't very good at all.

Good observation, Einstein...

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Aus/RSA/Ind/Pak.

But the romantic in me takes over...

Ind Vs Pak final, Ind wins a thriller. And then the troll(s) flood the CW back.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim
    I don't know why people rate England so much as an ODI side. They aren't very good at all.
    That's probably why, of the 40 people who have voted, just 3 think they'll make the semi-final.

3 too many for you?
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information