• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Assessing the Teams

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Best bowling in a first class game since Jim Laker in 1956, nearly 50 years ago.

17-137

Therefore the best first class bowling match figures of the 21st century

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neither of which are particularly relevant, especailly when you see who he got the 17 against (and how poor his record still is including that)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dizzy #4 said:
Hell no, If Tikolo breaks a record, I might consider it!
So wait... because Tikolo doesn't have a batting record, he's not a better batsman than Davison. Tikolo is so much better than Davison with the bat that he only needs to bowl ordinarily to be a better allrounder. As it is, Tikolo is quite a useful bowler too.

In ICC Trophy cricket, Tikolo has virtually matched Davison with the ball and smoked him with the bat. In FC cricket he averages less than Davison with the ball and more than 3 times more than he does with the bat. Get real.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
On the basis of the sound training that I have received from the SJS Stats Factory, I would like to submit my most recently researched piece on the Cricket World Cup 2006.

It is an established fact that the CW community, as a whole, know more about cricket than anyone else in the world, including those who play and run the game. And since it is generally agreed in CW that the best players in the world currently are Ajit Agarkar, Dave Mohammed and Rikki Clarke. So, it is obvious that the team(s) which include these guys will have the best chance for success in the World Cup. And since it is only the Indian selectors, who have shown the good sense to listen to the CW community and pick Ajit Agarkar in their side, I thereby conclude that it is them who have the best chance of success in the World Cup. Thank you. :)

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Ming said:
Likely Team:

1 Vincent
2 McCullum
3 Vincent
4 Fleming
5 Marshall
6 Taylor
7 Styris
8 Oram
9 Vettori
10 Mills
11 Bond

Strengths? World beating side.
Not sure about that line up. Probably more like this::

Vincent
Astle
Taylor
Fleming
Styris ( although I hate to admit it)
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Mills
Bond

These arent my preferences but just going on what the NZ selectors seem to prefer ( over the past wee while), I think they will choose this team

STRENGTHS:
Fleming is articulate so doesnt say anything embarrasingly stupid or cliche in interviews.
Black uniforms can double as evening wear.

WEAKNESSES::
Batting is not as good as other teams
Bowling is not as good as other teams

I am a Kiwi and will support NZ cricket till I die but I dont think they have a realistic chance of winning the world cup. Semis probably at best. I hope I am wrong..

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Matt52 said:
WEAKNESSES::
Batting is not as good as other teams
Bowling is not as good as other teams
i would think that a Bond, Vettori, Oram(if he bowls the way he can) and Mills is better than most teams. Franklin though IMO is clearly not ODI standard and shouldnt come near the side. What worries me about NZ is that their batting is at an absolute trough, probably the worst batting lineup when compared to the last 4 world cups. Fleming hasnt had a good series in ages, Astle is quite simply Astle, Oram it appears doesnt seem to be able to transition his game to a format which should be completely suited to him, while i have no idea what the deal is with Hamish Marshall at the moment. I dont think anyone has had a bad trot as poor as his. I never like to write NZ off because they are the side that always seem to compete , but their batting lineup leaves a lot to be desired at the moment.

James

Cricket Web Owner
tooextracool said:
i would think that a Bond, Vettori, Oram(if he bowls the way he can) and Mills is better than most teams. Franklin though IMO is clearly not ODI standard and shouldnt come near the side. What worries me about NZ is that their batting is at an absolute trough, probably the worst batting lineup when compared to the last 4 world cups. Fleming hasnt had a good series in ages, Astle is quite simply Astle, Oram it appears doesnt seem to be able to transition his game to a format which should be completely suited to him, while i have no idea what the deal is with Hamish Marshall at the moment. I dont think anyone has had a bad trot as poor as his. I never like to write NZ off because they are the side that always seem to compete , but their batting lineup leaves a lot to be desired at the moment.
Franklin will definately go to the World Cup, but like you, I don't believe the time is right for him to make the starting eleven.

I'd like to see this team lineup, with the option of including Jeetan Patel over Mills if the pitch suits.

Vincent
Fleming
Astle
Fulton
Styris
Taylor
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Bond

tooextracool

International Coach
James said:
Franklin will definately go to the World Cup, but like you, I don't believe the time is right for him to make the starting eleven.

I'd like to see this team lineup, with the option of including Jeetan Patel over Mills if the pitch suits.

Vincent
Fleming
Astle
Fulton
Styris
Taylor
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Bond
would you not consider someone like papps who didnt get the chance to prove himself in ODIs despite averaging an impressive 51.75 at the moment?

James

Cricket Web Owner
tooextracool said:
would you not consider someone like papps who didnt get the chance to prove himself in ODIs despite averaging an impressive 51.75 at the moment?
I don't think so, he hasn't really been in the ODI frame since his initial injury 18 months ago and Vincent gives more to the side with his all-round game IMO.

Like you, the batting continues to be a concern, but to our advantage, the pitches are likely to be slow in the West Indies, much like in New Zealand, so that should be in our favour.

If we get our top team on the park, we'll give any nation a run for their money. Bond and Vettori obviously being the keys.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well looking at the pitches in the windies during their current home season, it very likely that next years world cup will be full of high scoring matches. Looking at the 8 major sides in world cricket all of them have the batting that can do well on the flat pitches & small grounds in the Caribbean, so for me the winners will be the side with the best bowling attack will win the world cup that why i have Australia, South Africa & Pakistan with the best chances of winning.