• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Assessing the Teams

oz_fan

International Regular
Bit harsh, Franklin and the newer Mills are more than worthy pace back-ups.
Yeah it was a bit harsh. Mills has an alright record, not sure about Franklin though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
If Warne doesn`t play in the World Cup, I`d like to see

Gilchrist
Hayden (or Jaques)
Ponting
Hussey
Symonds
Clarke
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
Clark
McGrath

And I can`t see that team losing. Four excellent one-day seamers and some of the best ODI batsmen ever. Does look a little batting light though.
looks good Nath, but i don't think Australia would want to take out any of the top 7 batsmen in Gilly, Jaques(Hayden), Ponting, Martyn, Symo, Clarke, Hussey since its the strongest in the world.

Ponting has shown on occassions to willingness to play 4 seamers, so i wont be surprised on occassions if all 4 play & Hogg misses a game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dizzy #4 said:
When I said Allrounder, I meant in both ways, not just batting, although these days, an all rounder could be classified as a good batsman and fielder
And Tikolo is still far better.

Lets face it, the only reason you're saying anything about Davison is because he's Australian.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
still waiting for a dutch team :')
i'd be interested to see how other see a holland side.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Kweek said:
still waiting for a dutch team :')
i'd be interested to see how other see a holland side.
Ask and thou shalt receive.

Nederland

Likely team:
Zuiderent
van Nierop
van Bunge
Kervezee
ten Doeschate
*van Troost
Reekers
Stelling
Schiferli
+Smits
Raja

Strengths:
Talented middle order
Varied bowling attack, with backup in Gokke and Seelaar
Good keeper

Weaknesses:
Lack of experience
The second opener
Weak batting if the main three fails to fire (wouldn't count on Schiferli making 69 again)
Lack of a real pace bowler

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
believe me, van Nierop won't play!
am missing de Leede!
Schiferli is a real pace bowler, fastest guy in holland!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Kweek said:
believe me, van Nierop won't play!
am missing de Leede!
Schiferli is a real pace bowler, fastest guy in holland!
You're saying de Grooth will, then? *shudders*

Maybe have ten Doeschate as a pinch hitter and de Leede at five. He'll be 39 when the WC comes around, tho.

adharcric

International Coach
schiferli ... de grooth ... ten doeschate ... reekers
i couldnt care less about the dutch team, but they sure do have some fantastic names in the side :laugh:

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
And Tikolo is still far better.

Lets face it, the only reason you're saying anything about Davison is because he's Australian.

Nope, Tikolo's recnet all round efforts isn't as good as Davison's recnet all round efforts

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So what exactly are the recnet (or even recent) efforts then, since he's not played for Canada in a fair while?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well the last time he played for Canada was the ICC Trophy:
312 runs@ 44.57
6 wkts @ 35.66

Before that it was two years ago in the InterCont Cup and Americas Cup

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The Scots turn...

Likey XI:

1. DF Watts
2. DR Lockhart
3. RR Watson
4. CV English
5. CJO Smith (wk)
6. DR Brown
7. GM Hamilton
8. KJ Coetzer
9. PJC Hoffmann
10. CM Wright
11. JAE Blain

Strengths
- Two FC standard fast bowlers in Blain and Brown
- Three decent all rounders in Brown, Hamilton and Watson, add a lot of depth to the side
- Match harded side with their National League experience in the last two years
- Very long batting line up with Coetzer having a FC batting average of 37 for Durham. Will probably bat at eight cus his List A average is only 14 and they have a fairly strong middle order. Also Hoffman has opened the batting, but i can't see going well there aganist Australia or South Africa. And Wright also averages over 20 in List A (knock outs boost his average though). So they effectively bat down to 10.

Weakness
- A lot of their best players are past their prime and nearing the end of their careers
- Lack a decent spinners, they got Greg Maiden, but he bowls pies.
- A lot of their batsmen average around 20 in List A, but lack a real world class batsmen.

Prediction
- Should be a lot more competitive then they were in '99, they have a lot more contributers now then they have back then. But will rely on Watson, Brown, Hamilton and Blain to do something special to win a game.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
West Indies

(My)Likely XII:

CH Gayle
RS Morton
BC Lara
RR Sarwan (C)
S Chanderpaul
WW Hinds/DR Smith
DJJ Bravo
D Ramdin (wk)
IDR Bradshaw
CD Collymore/PT Collins
FH Edwards

12th Man: R Kelly

Alternatively, Daren Ganga could be the captain by then, thus adding some problems to the selection meeting. If Chanderpaul is captain of the West Indies for the WC, I might support Ireland instead.

Strengths:
- With Lara/Sarwan/Chanderpaul/Gayle, the batting is extremely potent, especially on West Indian pitches and chasing.
- The batting has good depth with Bradshaw at number 8.
- If Edwards continues to improve as he has in recent times, and attack of Bradshaw/Collymore/Collins/Edwards/Bravo/Gayle can be quite handy.
- With Collymore and Collins fit, the choice for the first XI seam attack is quite interesting.
- Gayle is the lone decent "spin" option.
- Home crowd and Lara on a curtain call mission.

Weaknesses:
- Prone to devastating and embarrassing collapses.
- Easily deflated in the field.
- Captaincy in general.

Hopefully our broken Chanderpaul is fixed by 2007.

Prediction:
- Dark horse for the semifinal round.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
West Indies

(My)Likely XII:

CH Gayle
RS Morton
BC Lara
RR Sarwan (C)
S Chanderpaul
WW Hinds/DR Smith
DJJ Bravo
D Ramdin (wk)
IDR Bradshaw
CD Collymore/PT Collins
FH Edwards

Alternatively, Daren Ganga could be the captain by then, thus adding some problems to the selection meeting. If Chanderpaul is captain of the West Indies for the WC, I might support Ireland instead.

Strengths:
- With Lara/Sarwan/Chanderpaul/Gayle, the batting is extremely potent, especially on West Indian pitches and chasing.
- If Edwards continues to improve as he has in recent times, and attack of Bradshaw/Collymore/Collins/Edwards/Bravo/Gayle can be quite handy.
- With Collymore and Collins fit, the choice for the first XI seam attack is quite interesting.

Weaknesses:
- Captaincy in general.

Prediction:
I'd agree with this but I'm pretty sure Smith or Hinds will be 12th man. Maybe even Ricardo Powell.:laugh: How's Kelly's fielding skills? With regards to spin, Sarwan said he's been doing a lot more work on it so he might be given a roll of the arm a couple times.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
roseboy64 said:
I'd agree with this but I'm pretty sure Smith or Hinds will be 12th man. Maybe even Ricardo Powell.:laugh: How's Kelly's fielding skills? With regards to spin, Sarwan said he's been doing a lot more work on it so he might be given a roll of the arm a couple times.
Sarwan doesn't bowl often enough at any level to become an option for ODI cricket (IMO). He'd have to become captain before he's taken seriously as a spin option.

Regarding Ricardo Powell, I don't see any possible way that he can make it back into the West Indies team for the World Cup. There are at least 30 players ahead of him at the moment.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
West Indies

(My)Likely XII:

CH Gayle
RS Morton
BC Lara
RR Sarwan (C)
S Chanderpaul
WW Hinds/DR Smith
DJJ Bravo
D Ramdin (wk)
IDR Bradshaw
CD Collymore/PT Collins
FH Edwards

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
- Captaincy in general.

Prediction:
decent looking side, looks very capable of doing well at home.

oz_fan

International Regular
aussie said:
decent looking side, looks very capable of doing well at home.
Yep. West Indies are definitely in with a chance considering they're at home. They have a very strong batting attack, possibly 2nd after the Australians. As long as they stay focused an attack of Gayle, Lara, Sarwan, Bravo, Chanderpaul, etc should be able to make consistent scores over 250. The only thing that could let them down is bowling. Edwards is fiery and Collymore is accuarate but they need to be more consistent.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
thats why i'm holding on to the thought that the FINAL 4 will be Australia, South Africa, Pakistan & West Indies.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
CH Gayle
RS Morton
BC Lara
RR Sarwan (C)
S Chanderpaul
DR Smith
DJJ Bravo
D Ramdin (wk)
IDR Bradshaw / FH Edwards
CD Collymore
PT Collins

For mine. Collymore is a legend and deserves selection. Collins is improving.. Edwards had a pretty good tour to NZ. Bradshaw is good without being great. Some tough choices.