• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's gonna leave us at the World Cup?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
ohtani's jacket said:
I'd be surprised if Warne didn't retire after the 2007 Ashes. IMO, Ponting has been overworking him, hence his struggles of late.
8-) With the bat?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
As Warne doesn't play ODI's, I don't see the WC being a factor - maybe after the 2006/7 Ashes, although he could go on for ages if he wanted to.

Elsewhere, I can see Vaughan retiring from oneday cricket after the WC though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
ohtani's jacket said:
No with the ball. If this is the worst South African side Warne's ever played he sure hasn't cashed in.
One test match mate, these still two to come.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah Warne was pretty shocking by his standards at some points during the recent Test - but hw he's out of form after recently breaking the record is beyond me!

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
TT Boy said:
One test match mate, these still two to come.
In the last four Tests against South Africa he's taken 17 wickets at 34.12. In 2006, he's taken 5 wickets at 53.80. For Warne I'd say that's somewhat off.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Warne took his best figures for his state in Australia a few weeks ago I read. 7-100. He dismissed Hayden twice as well... or so it goes.

I do think he's been overbowled, and he looked aweful in South Africa, but his time in England will straighten him up... I can't see him playing Bangaladesh.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Of the big players I'd say in one form or both: Inzamam, Lara, Gilchrist, McGrath and Warne.

Natman20

International Debutant
Sounds like Gilchrist wont from reading an article. He said he doesn't like the idea of the twenty20 worldcup but will play in it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Matthew Hayden is a guarantee for me, both forms. The only reason he didnt retire right after the Ashes was so that they would still consider him for the world cup.
Shane Warne would have played till 2009 IMO if Australia had lost the Ashes. Australia now has every trophy in world cricket ATM including the Ashes, the border gavaskar trophy and the champions trophy. not much left for him to accomplish really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well given that he said he'd have retired after 2005 had Australia not lost, you'd imagine he'd have gone for 2009 had they lost again this time...

TBH, you can't really say he, McGrath, Langer and Gilchrist deserved to finish their careers as Ashes-losers. Just a bit of a shame Jason Gillespie now appears likely to.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sounds like Gilchrist wont from reading an article. He said he doesn't like the idea of the twenty20 worldcup but will play in it.
I personally think it's a great shame that Gilchrist didn't choose to bow-out from Tests with Langer, Warne and McGrath.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Cricket Australia have to use some initiative and encourage Hayden and Gilchrist to play on a bit longer. At least for one more year.