• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - New Zealand, England, Kenya, Canada

James

Cricket Web Owner
For discussion around Group C which consists of New Zealand, England, Kenya and Canada.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can see England somehow...losing to one of the minnows....and then having to beat New Zealand to qualify...which they'll do in dramatic fashion or get bowled out for 50.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matteh said:
I can see England somehow...losing to one of the minnows....and then having to beat New Zealand to qualify...which they'll do in dramatic fashion or get bowled out for 50.....
Forgive me, even I can't see us losing to Canada, and it's not like Kenya are the side they once were either.
I'd be very surprised at this stage if we were to beat New Zealand.

Matteh

Richard said:
Forgive me, even I can't see us losing to Canada, and it's not like Kenya are the side they once were either.
I'd be very surprised at this stage if we were to beat New Zealand.
It's how England always does things...especially in football tournaments...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... so far we've not managed to lose to a substandard team in a cricket World Cup.
Indeed - only West Indies (1996), Sri Lanka (2003) and Zimbabwe (2003) have done so. You could add Pakistan (1999) but that was a totally dead game and rarely if ever have Pakistan been that bothered about dead games.
Of course, there was also the matter of Bangladesh losing to Canada in 2003, but that's a different matter. That's a supposedly-up-to-standard team losing to a team that only plays the sport in about 30 clubs in the 2nd-biggest land in The World.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wouldn't you class our defeat to ZImbabwe in 92 as being against a substandard side?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
God, no, Zimbabwe had already beaten Australia 9 years earlier. Zimbabwe mightn't have been as good in 1992 as they were 7 years later, but they were still easily up to scratch in ODIs and everyone took them seriously - but can you seriously say the same about our defeat to them in 2003? That was a joke, even if Grant Flower did play a superb innings, and even if we did crush them in our next completed game.

Matteh

everyone still thought of it as a shock though....
especially that a chicken farmed destroyed England....

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
We'll push them (NZ) close I think, it's a ODI game, only needs Pietersen to go mad with some supportive innings, and we could have 275-300.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matteh said:
everyone still thought of it as a shock though....
A bit of a surprise, but no more than West Indies beating South Africa in the opening game in 2003.
Not a major shock like Kenya beating West Indies in 1995\96. That was described (accurately) at the time as "the greatest upset ever" (and by some distance). Even Zimbabwe beating Australia in 1983 wasn't close.
especially that a chicken farmed destroyed England....
That was in 1996, and even then "chicken farmer" is stupid and not a little derogatory towards Brandes. As Michael Atherton put it: "when he wasn't feeding his chooks, he was a fine outswing bowler."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jamee999 said:
We'll push them (NZ) close I think, it's a ODI game, only needs Pietersen to go mad with some supportive innings, and we could have 275-300.
I'd back Pietersen every time against NZ's attack (bar Bond) but equally I think NZ could easily chase 300 against us, especially in West Indies.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's NZ 60-40 I think to win the group. There's very little certainty in the ODI game between the elite nations.

Chubb

International Regular
Richard said:
A bit of a surprise, but no more than West Indies beating South Africa in the opening game in 2003.
Not a major shock like Kenya beating West Indies in 1995\96. That was described (accurately) at the time as "the greatest upset ever" (and by some distance). Even Zimbabwe beating Australia in 1983 wasn't close.

That was in 1996, and even then "chicken farmer" is stupid and not a little derogatory towards Brandes. As Michael Atherton put it: "when he wasn't feeding his chooks, he was a fine outswing bowler."
"Chicken Farmer Destroys England" reads so much better, doesn't it? I was nine in 1996, but I think it maybe kickstarted my love of Zimbabwean cricket, even before I knew who any of their players were, there they were destroying England, totally outclassing them.

Attachments