• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - New Zealand, England, Kenya, Canada

Natman20

International Debutant
I love watching the minnows because it's a chance to see lots of different players some of them talented, but in a crappy team such as John Davidson. Pool should be as follows Nz, Eng, the others :)
Who knows Nz are so up and down in world cups. I think we have a better squad now since 2003 or at least we have a bit more depth now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chubb said:
"Chicken Farmer Destroys England" reads so much better, doesn't it? I was nine in 1996, but I think it maybe kickstarted my love of Zimbabwean cricket, even before I knew who any of their players were, there they were destroying England, totally outclassing them.
It does a great disservice to both the Zimbabweans and the English.
As such I, frankly, detest it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
The 2 aren't even close in shock factor.
Of course they are, South Africa were massively superior to West Indies and no-one could possibly have realistically expected them to win.
Similar to England-Zimbabwe in 1992.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it wasn't.
England and South Africa were both amongst the best in 1992 and 2003 respectively.
Zimbabwe and West Indies were amongst the worst in 1992 and 2003 respectively.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You're vastly overrating the Zimbabweans and underrating the Windies.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
NZ will smash both minnows and lose to ENG in a nail-biting last ball encounter
England lose to one of the minnows and learn their lesson by pelting the other one
Canada and Kenya fight for a close exciting but low scoring match
P.S. Richard and Marc these are just random predictions don't knock 'em

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I reckon we could knock over England. It'll be close though, but there's no question about who's going through.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
You're vastly overrating the Zimbabweans and underrating the Windies.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?
No, not really.
Zimbabwe were a team who, without being phenominally strong, were much, much better than they were at the current time.
I said at the time that West Indies were incredibly fortunate to beat South Africa, and I said before the game (or at least thought it) that South Africa should win easily.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
33/3from3.3 said:
NZ will smash both minnows and lose to ENG in a nail-biting last ball encounter
BlackCap_Fan said:
I reckon we could knock over England. It'll be close though, but there's no question about who's going through.
Quite why everyone seems so certain that NZ and Eng are evenly-matched I don't know... New Zealand have been categorically the better ODI side for a good while now.
Not that it really holds too much significance but New Zealand are certanly the team with the better recent World Cup record, too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, not really.
Zimbabwe were a team who, without being phenominally strong, were much, much better than they were at the current time.
As I say again, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

For someone who started watching the game 8 years after that World Cup, how do you know how good (or more accurately bad) they were?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
As I say again, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

For someone who started watching the game 8 years after that World Cup, how do you know how good (or more accurately bad) they were?
Sorry, what? I've said time and again that I started watching the game with that World Cup.
I didn't take any great interest in Zimbabwe (or anyone else) until 8 years later, no, but I do remember the reaction.
Anyway - I didn't need to know about them then, to have looked back on the matter later - same as we don't need to have been around in the 1950s and 1960s to realise that Garfield Sobers was the greatest all-rounder the game has ever seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BlackCap_Fan said:
That was in 2004 - the English have come a fair way from that, haven't they?
No.
Nowhere at all.
Pietersen in, I suppose, but one man, even of that calibre, doesn't make a huge difference.
England have been going backwards in ODIs virtually non-stop since 1992.