• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Bermuda

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
well that is true, but at some point you do need to start building for the future, right? and how many oldies do we have who can come in and perform like what ganguly has done? as it is, this team was called the dad's army because of the abundance of 30+ and close to 30 players in the team....another reason to bring in youngsters would be to improve fitness and also one of our weakest areas, fielding and catching....
I disagree. I think you should drop and take whoever you want regardless of age.

well agreed about his cricketing brain, and if the lessons have been learned and if he gets the right teams and the right selectorial support and is able to motivate his men and is able to lead from the front, he might just turn around that poor captaincy record...i am a huge tendulkar fan and would love to see him succeed, however as you can see, there are a lot of "ifs" in that approach....and given what has happened in the past and given the fact that you hardly ever get ideal scenarios, it's a big gamble at best....
Right. I don't think it would be that big a gamble if it did go through whenever.

Last edited:

JustTool

State 12th Man
Sharad Pawar should find the nearest lake and jump into it - head first.

This MORON was blaming the media for all the problem 2 days ago. And he is still defending Chappell.

Amazing how India puts up with such daylight robbery. I hope the media and the people DEMAND more accountability from these demi-Gods. It's about time ! I didn't hear any cricketer ever say that because of the media's adulation they are over paid and over pampered.

Immediately drop Tendulkar, Ganguly, Agarkar, Dhoni and Harbhajan. Immediately. :@ And fir that idiot Chappell. What the hell is Pawar waiting to 'review' ??!!

JustTool

State 12th Man
and whats your reasoning for droping ganguly & dhoni?
Saurav was a great captain - however his time as a batsman and fielder has passed. Did you see how lazily he runs between the wickets - is that the example you need for younger cricketers entering the team ? Chappell should never have been allowed to treat him the way he did (shame on Pawar) but he is done as a batsman. Dhoni is too focussed on his star status. That's obvious. By the way Uthappa ahouls never have been selected. Talk about hubris - this guy was telling the media how great he is even before he went to WI.

I still cannot believe Chappell has not been IMMEDIATELY fired. Should have been done right after the stupid emails he wrote ranting against Ganguly.

Lastly, speaking about hubris, Tendulkar was giving interviews a week ago talking about how he will be playing the World Cup in 2011.

Enough said ! :@

LA ICE-E

State Captain
hhhmmm so, you'e saying ganguly's time is gone? but he's been scoring 50's almost every game since he's been back...so from what do you get his times gone? so a player needs to be droped if he's focussed on his star status? would have prefered if kaif was chosen instead of Uthappa but thats was because of the oppening thing. and they should think about their next move before firing chappell...and if tendulkar can play well enough to 2011 whats wrong with that?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The difference between India winning and losing yesterday was Muralitharan.
Yeah the gulf between him and Harbhajan, who is apparently in the rung below him in ODI spinners is so huge its unbelievable. I mean we already knew it, but it was just the difference yesterday.

India's seamers did what they needed to do, and Harbhajan wasn't able to suppor them, whereas when Murali came on he created trouble (bar his first over).

JustTool

State 12th Man
hhhmmm so, you'e saying ganguly's time is gone? but he's been scoring 50's almost every game since he's been back...so from what do you get his times gone? so a player needs to be droped if he's focussed on his star status? would have prefered if kaif was chosen instead of Uthappa but thats was because of the oppening thing. and they should think about their next move before firing chappell...and if tendulkar can play well enough to 2011 whats wrong with that?

I can't possibly response to such an inane post that says Tendulkar should play in 2011. Is Saurav fit enough to field ? Wake up - ask yourself what the real problem is. Here are two hints: Pawar-the-incompetent-BCCI and Money :blink:

masterblaster

International Captain
As much as it pains me to say it as an Indian fan, but I really think Sachin Tendulkar is past it. Although I won't take the JustTool route and blame him. Infact he's the greatest batsman India has ever produced and it is understandable that 16+ years of International Cricket have taken a toll on his body and mind.

Thanks Sachin for all the great memories and the 16+ years of glorious batsmanship, but really I think it's time to go and retire gracefully.

On the other hand, India's performance has been truly lacklustre. Nothing more to say really, and one Australian News Limited journalist put it best when he said they are nothing but a bunch of "Overpaid, Pampered Pooches".

JustTool

State 12th Man
It would be simple if Chappell and Dravid would just say:

"We F'd up. Our process and preparation didn't work."

And if Pawar would say the same. Where is BCCI owning up ? They just blame the players.

Told you on match #1. This team has no togetherness. This was a fractured team.

JustTool

State 12th Man
Harbhajan - 9 matches - 7 wickets
Kumble - 4 matches - 6 wickets
Pawar - 2 matches - 5 wickets

And Harbhajan was our #1 spinner.

What can you say ? One thing you can say about Kumble and Dravid - they always give it their all. Always. As does Karthick.

And we don't play Kumble and Karthick.

Amazing :blink:

masterblaster

International Captain
Harbhajan - 9 matches - 7 wickets
Kumble - 4 matches - 6 wickets
Pawar - 2 matches - 5 wickets

And Harbhajan was our #1 spinner.

What can you say ? One thing you can say about Kumble and Dravid - they always give it their all. Always. As does Karthick.

And we don't play Kumble and Karthick.

Amazing :blink:
Yeah, leaving out Ramesh Powar and not playing Dinesh Karthik was insane. Powar offers a huge upside in my view and Karthik is a gun in the field.

masterblaster

International Captain
Wasn't before, but now I kinda' am... Go Bermuda!!!
You still want India to go through, even though they've played like crap? Team India will learn absolutely nothing from this experience if they go through to the Super 8's. It's more beneficial to India in the long run if they are bundled out and return with some egg on their face.

I've been following Indian Cricket for the last 16 years, and India has never been consistent throughout those 16 years no matter who is playing in the side. Things were bad when Navjor Sidhu, Manjrekar, Shastri, Jadeja, Azharuddin and Prabhakar were playing in this side, and they were just as bad when guys like Mohanty, Kanitkar, Ramesh and Mongia were playing.

Fast forward 10 years, it's even worse now. This Indian team has always been a model of inconsistency, and they deserve what they are getting now. Bangladesh deserve to go through to the next round, we don't.

adharcric

International Coach
JustTool said:
I hope the media and the people DEMAND more accountability from these demi-Gods. It's about time !
Let's see. How exactly do they become demigods? That's right, the ****ing media. FFS, say what you want about dropping Tendulkar but don't defend the media.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
Dravid was basically talking about how hard the team had been working. Frankly I don't buy it. Two years is enough to produce a significant improvement in fitness and that should have translated into better fielding and running between the wickets.

Then there is the issue of pace which is obviously related to fitness as well. It's pretty pathetic that Sri Lanka has two 90 mph bowlers while India has none. Fernando's dismissal of Tendulkar showed how even a throughly mediocre bower can cause problems with that extra yard of pace. Why hasn't India been trying to produce a genuine fast-medium bowler in the last two years ? In fact Munaf was exactly such an option but he has been downgraded to medium pace.

Dropping Powar was also probably a mistake; one extra wicket in the middle overs could have reduced SL's total by 30-40 runs.