• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Australia, South Africa, Scotland, Holland

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not a chance, not a chance. Either the gun was dodgy, or there has been a mistake, because there is no way that McGrath reached 91mph.
Why? McGrath's never been a particularly quick bowler, but it's not generally been because he wasn't capable of bowling the odd quick delivery. McGrath was also clocked close to 90mph in the 2003 World Cup.

nate-d

Cricket Spectator
South Africa may have a chance of qualifying first against Australia due to their poor form. :laugh:

pup11

International Coach
Its a myth that lee can't bowl as quick as tait or akthar, he just bowls within himself to maintain a better line and length.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why? McGrath's never been a particularly quick bowler, but it's not generally been because he wasn't capable of bowling the odd quick delivery. McGrath was also clocked close to 90mph in the 2003 World Cup.
And a lot of bowlers were clocked up to 10mph faster than ever before at the 2003 World Cup...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How could you have thought that observation was in any way relevant to what I was talking about? :blink:
Because Lee in WC2003 was the same sort of pace as Tait is now and bowled against substandard sides in said competition... and you were talking about Tait against substandard sides in this-'un.

So I thought that was relevant... no? :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And a lot of bowlers were clocked up to 10mph faster than ever before at the 2003 World Cup...
Was it really that much?

Most bowlers tend to clock a bit faster in SA than elsewhere due to the altitude factor, but 10mph?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Akhtar and Lee have almost always been neck-and-neck.

And, obviously, neither are as quick as they used to be.

Tait is clearly quicker than either - by quite a bit - these days.

pup11

International Coach
Finally some good news for the aussies, hayden is confident of playing in 1st aussie game against Scotland in the world cup on March 14. I think if aussies bat first i can see them taking out all their frustrations in the last 2 weeks on the Scots, so if they score 400-500 runs against them i won't be suprised.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't say anything like 10mph, but yes, bowlers were definitely clocked faster at the 2003 WC than elsewhere. I don't see the relevance of that point. Some series are "fast" series, because of the cameras or other conditions, and if McGrath can bowl 90mph in one series where bowlers are clocked fast I don't see why he couldn't be clocked at a similar speed in another, especially when he was four years younger.

Brett Lee was clocked at 100mph twice in New Zealand in early 2005, and a few months later in England he barely touched 95 in a full five test series and a number of ODIs. It's the way the cameras tend to work.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Because Lee in WC2003 was the same sort of pace as Tait is now and bowled against substandard sides in said competition... and you were talking about Tait against substandard sides in this-'un.

So I thought that was relevant... no? :unsure:
Fair enough - the connection may have been a bit too tenuous for me to grasp at the time, and I was in a cranky mood - but I see what you're saying now. :D

I don't think Lee's ever bowled quite as fast as Tait did in his second match in the CB series. I know that he's been recorded at similar speeds, but as Fuller mentioned, readings vary from gun to gun, venue to venue, and Tait was bowling comfortably the fastest stuff I've ever seen on telly (although I didn't see Akhtar bowling his fastest spells)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I once saw Akhtar beat Western Australian Gilchrist for pace.

That was with a slower delivery, too.

Not a deliberate slower one, but slower than the 97.8mph (breaking the previous record) delivery the previous ball.

I can't think that I've ever seen bowling that looked faster than that.

And IMO you distrust speedguns at your peril. The techno used is the same. Sure, different factors impact, but they impact on the speed of the ball, not the speed of the reading. If equal propulsion is put into a delivery on the Highveld in South Africa, it may come out faster than in Australia.

Matt79

Global Moderator
And IMO you distrust speedguns at your peril. The techno used is the same. Sure, different factors impact, but they impact on the speed of the ball, not the speed of the reading. If equal propulsion is put into a delivery on the Highveld in South Africa, it may come out faster than in Australia.
Sorry, you lost me there a bit?

Obviously the basic technology is the same, but the set up is going to be different at each venue. In particular, where the speed reading is being taken will differ - and the ball begins losing speed the moment it is released from the hand, so a difference of 50cm could make quite a difference to the reading. It will vary from day to day depending on factors like tail-winds etc.

I've never seen, in my opinion, Lee, even in 03, bowl quite as fast as Tait was that day. As I said, I didn't see Akhtar's record breaking spell.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - as far as I know the speed is measured in the same spot - the first shot the gun can get of the ball after it's left the hand.

I can't believe it's anywhere near as much as 50cm's variance. Maybe 1 or 2 which might make a difference of perhaps .29kph or something.

pup11

International Coach
Lolz @ Scot coach how he is taunting australia and even telling the whole world that how they can even beat them.