• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies Thread

shortpitched713

International Captain
I'd always pick Collymore ahead of Powell. But I'm fairly certain Powell will play tomorrow. And it'll likely be at the expense of Collymore.
Well I wasn't really predicting the side so much as pointing out who I thought should be in the side. Sorry if I made that unclear.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Why was Bradshaw dropped?.It must have been a slight injury as he along with Taylor must be the first bowler on the teamsheet.If he wasn't injured I really can't work out why Bradshaw was left out of the X1.Seems like an unbeliavable decision.

the_last_rites

Cricket Spectator
Why was Bradshaw dropped?.It must have been a slight injury as he along with Taylor must be the first bowler on the teamsheet.If he wasn't injured I really can't work out why Bradshaw was left out of the X1.Seems like an unbeliavable decision.
not to worry. Smith of all people is on the job. :D

WI fan

Cricket Spectator
Congratulations West Indies. The entire side contributed. Great effort and I know that the guys are going to give it their all. We seem to do well in competitions over the last few years.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don

State Vice-Captain
really bummed didn't get to see the match, stupid mock exams. good to see the boys win though, hey wi fan where u from

WI fan

Cricket Spectator
really bummed didn't get to see the match, stupid mock exams. good to see the boys win though, hey wi fan where u from
St. Ann's.....and to preempt any "Mad House" jokes I actually do share a common boundary with the "Lands of the St. Ann's Hospital. I can see the roof tops through the trees. I may end up there some day.:laugh:

I have not posted much on Cricket Web over the years as I have been very busy defending the West Indies on www.forumhub.com/indsports. It's a very pro-Indian/pro-Pakistani forum that seems to view the world through Tendulkar/Inzamam spectacles. So I have been championing WI cricket and BC Lara there. Its good to educate others isn't it?

Anyway best of luck to the guys and I really hope that they continue to challenge the conventional wisdom that's too often taken for fact.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Any thoughts on the West Indies debacle? Are problems behind the scenes at least partly to blame for the abject performances?

I've only seen highlights of the Sri Lanka game because I was on holiday and couldn't get off work to see all of the New Zealand game so would appreciate any feedback on individual performances.

Would any players who haven't got a game or didn't even make the squad make a significant difference?

Has Powell been the only bright spot?

When Lara retires from ODIs will West Indies be one of the minnows (Or, in light of his often mystifying captaincy, will they improve?!)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Lack of effort. Possibly due to playing four games in ten days. Maybe a bit of complacency. All I know is that they were terrible performances. especially in the field against Sri Lanka which was highlighted when Sri Lanka fielded afterwards. Heard reports of players being out on the town or not in the hotel the night(s) before a game(s).

Only Pedro Collins and Jermaine Lawson come to mind.

Pretty much although it was interesting to see Ramdin score a few runs.

Hard to tell really. One can only hope for the best in the Sarwan era.

P.S And that's number 8000!!! Dire topic to post about though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have been very suprised with how well Darren Powell has performed in this tournament, he has been excellent in comparison to his fast bowling colleagues. I still beleive that the West Indies have the potential to be a very good side, if they get their selection right. To me, a bowling attack of Powell, Collymore, Bradshaw,(fourth seamer) and Gayle/Bravo would be a very potent attack. Not sure who the fourth seamer should be, but I suppose it's a toss up between Dwayne Smith/Jerome Taylor, both who have been quite disappointing. Now to me, that bowling attack is capable of keeping the runs down, as well as taking wickets.

pup11

International Coach
I think the big-players from the West Indian team have let-down the team down, the likes of Gayle,Taylor,Samuels, Bravo and to some extent even Sarwan have not been able to rise up to the occasion and support the experienced duo of Lara and Chandrapaul.

Except Powell the whole Windies bowling line-up has been below par and their fielding has been pathetic, so if so many things go wrong with a team you can't expect them to perform well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the big-players from the West Indian team have let-down the team down, the likes of Gayle,Taylor,Samuels, Bravo and to some extent even Sarwan have not been able to rise up to the occasion and support the experienced duo of Lara and Chandrapaul.

Except Powell the whole Windies bowling line-up has been below par and their fielding has been pathetic, so if so many things go wrong with a team you can't expect them to perform well.
yeah, it looks like the WC is over for the Windies. :(

Lara's captaincy has been baffling, but even more baffling has been the approach of their openers, and batsmen in general. Why are they batting THIS slow? Is there more infighting now? Is it a way for them to undermine Lara's captaincy?

Evermind

International Debutant
I would say the WIndies' batting is as good as SL's (or better). It just hasn't fired.

In Gayle I think they have a batsman capable of equalling Jayasuria. He's just not that consistent: maybe it's his age or something, but he seems to get out to stupid shots. In Lara they have someone who has no equivalent in the SL team, and Chanderpaul and Sarwan are both very good players who're easily as good as Jayawardene and Sangakkara. Bravo, Samuels, Smith are on the same level as the SL middle-order batsmen.

Perm

Incorrect.
Lies, I would rate Chandperaul and Sarwan miles ahead of Jayawardene and Sangakarra as ODI batsman. Jayawardene really is a poor quality batsman in ODI's, while Sangakarra is good, but nothing special. Chanderpaul has had a lot of sucess at opening recently, while Sarwan is one of the best ODI players going around (on reputation, not form) at the current point in time.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Sangakarra is a very good ODI batsman. He may not be showing it thus far, but then again neither has Sarwan. I'd easily rate him alongside Chanders and Sarwan.

Perm

Sangakarra is a very good ODI batsman. He may not be showing it thus far, but then again neither has Sarwan. I'd easily rate him alongside Chanders and Sarwan.
I wouldn't call him a very good ODI batsman, just a good one IMO. He hasn't been getting the big scores in this tournament, despite looking very good at the crease while Sarwan has been the opposite, looking very forced when batting and struggling to get any rhythm going. I would still rate Sarwan ahead of both Chanderpaul and Sangakarra at the moment, despite him being in some poor form.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sarwan should bat at 5, with Lara at 3. Sarwan is at his best when he's forced to bat in the middle overs. He used to be one of the best closers in the game, if not the best.