• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Okay, so who's gonna win?

Who'll take the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
mundaneyogi said:
Is there a Mister Irony?
No.
Your attempt to paint me as grumpy would be a perfect impression.
I did nothing of the sort - you used the same tactics his Nemeses did to paint him as - now I think about it - not Grumpy but Uppity.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
cricketboy29 said:
Wow, Nearly ever thread i come across, you guys are arguin'. (Exagerration of course, but it feels like that..)
Tell me again... what are cricket forums for?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
South Africa had Pollock, de Villiers, Donald, Matthews and McMillan at one point; later they had Pollock, Kallis, Donald, Elworthy, Klusener.
Pakistan, albeit only briefly, had Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib, Mushtaq, Saqlain.
Even England had Caddick, Gough, Mullally, Ealham, White for a short time.
Certainly teams have many times had 2 or 3 quality bowlers - just because it's rare at the current time, don't use short-term memory as an excuse.
yes they may have had those options but other than SA have either England or PAK even fielded a side where all 5 of those bowlers have actually played in the same line-up?, i doubt it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - England did briefly (2000-2001); Pakistan maybe not. If so, it would've been even briefer.
Still, there were definately extended times when 4 of the 5 were in together.

amit2

Banned
obviously ind r going to win the world cup. v have the best batting and the best bowling line-up in the wc. also, the way ind r developing as a odi team now, i doubt if any team can come even close to ind by the 2007 wc. i expect ind wto win all its matches in the 2007 wc and come up with the cup after scoring a 400+ score in the final or geting the other team out for less than 100 or both in the final to win the 2007 wc easily.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
amit2 said:
obviously ind r going to win the world cup. v have the best batting and the best bowling line-up in the wc. also, the way ind r developing as a odi team now, i doubt if any team can come even close to ind by the 2007 wc. i expect ind wto win all its matches in the 2007 wc and come up with the cup after scoring a 400+ score in the final or geting the other team out for less than 100 or both in the final to win the 2007 wc easily.
Well, you convinced me. Who can argue with such confidence? :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You don't remember the first of the "amits" interludes?
Can anyone tell us how many comebacks he's tried now?
I can think of this one (amit2), amit_s and one more that I can't remember.
Each time he's somewhat given himself away with the same avatar!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
silentstriker from another thread said:
I think SA certainly have a chance. And England certainly don't have a chance.

Every team has a chance, just SA, SL, India and NZ have a very small chance. Teams like England (bowling attack and KP), WI (because they're at home and have Lara and a few near-genii like Gayle and so on) and Pakistan have a much better chance because on their day they can beat anyone - one team will win the World Cup rather than win it by default because they're a decentish side, like SA or NZ.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, England do not have a chance, so stop pretending that anything beyond the Super 8s is going to happen.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Scaly piscine said:
Every team has a chance, just SA, SL, India and NZ have a very small chance. Teams like England (bowling attack and KP), WI (because they're at home and have Lara and a few near-genii like Gayle and so on) and Pakistan have a much better chance because on their day they can beat anyone - one team will win the World Cup rather than win it by default because they're a decentish side, like SA or NZ.
Can you explain why NZ stand "a very small chance".

On West Indies pitches which seem pretty similar to New Zealand pitches, I reckon we should go well, and could finish up with another semi-final spot, especially if Bond is fit.

Blaze

Banned
Scaly piscine said:

lol this has to be flamebait surely? Have you heard of Shane Bond?

Blaze

Banned
Well his current injury won't rule him out so from there I guess it's just a case of us kiwi fans praying his body holds together from now until the end of the tournament.

You can't really put a percentage on his chances IMO...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James said:
Can you explain why NZ stand "a very small chance".

On West Indies pitches which seem pretty similar to New Zealand pitches, I reckon we should go well, and could finish up with another semi-final spot, especially if Bond is fit.
A team will have to play brilliant cricket or a bit of magic at some point to win the World Cup - I just don't think NZ, SL or SA are capable of it and India have been bottling it for years. England have KP, Flintoff and potentially a bowling lineup that'll give any team problems. WI are at home and have guys like Gayle, Lara, Sarwan and Bravo - I know their record over the last few years is crap, but those players I mentioned are just the sort to do nothing for a while then produce something when you've given up hope. Pakistan have the talent as always but this time have a good coach. Australia are still the best side if they get the bowling sorted out which they probably will annoyingly. NZ have Bond... Fleming at a stretch and that's about it really as far as where something above the norm that could win a World Cup - just a hard working side that keeps losing when it plays Australia when they care, or as will probably happen in the World Cup, will lose to some of the other teams when they raise their game and NZ stay at their usual good but nothing special level