• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Okay, so who's gonna win?

Who'll take the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

howardj

International Coach
Final Four:
Australia
South Africa
India
New Zealand

Winner:
South Africa - with everyone available, they've got a terrific mix of ODI players.

Craig

World Traveller
It doesn't matter only South Africa will find a way to lose a game when they have the game won (or should it be tied?).

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
McMillan is a decent ODI player as far as I'm concerned, and I somehow doubt Fulton, How or anyone of that ilk is as good.
Fair go mate he is averaging 47 in his first ten ODI's so far he has played and has a List A average of 34 which is a lot more then McMillan is doing at the moment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
It doesn't matter only South Africa will find a way to lose a game when they have the game won (or should it be tied?).
I doubt they'll have that chance today somehow!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I doubt they'll have that chance today somehow!
Well...
I certainly think there's now a great chance this game could break Australia's dominance in ODIs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Fair go mate he is averaging 47 in his first ten ODI's so far he has played and has a List A average of 34 which is a lot more then McMillan is doing at the moment.
People've had good starts to their careers plenty.
What's his List-A average minus ODIs? I thought he made his debut with a pretty moderate domestic average.
Equally, McMillan hasn't done much recently, but really... he's not done much quite a few times.
I'll probably never despair of him, though - I never did with Kaluwitharana.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well after today's crazyness by stupid australia, i've had rethink & even though they still might be favourites (with a full-strength XI) its going to be really though for them to win this time for a few reasons:

- firstly Australia top 7 is supeb no doubt, but without McGrath in the bowling attack Australia bowling attack is not as good since they have NO capable death bowlers it seems & other batting line-ups pretty comparable with Australia i.e South Africa, Pakistan, India & West Indies could really destroy them on those small grounds & flat pitches which most likely won't have much swing with the new ball.

- secondly how the tournament is structured Australia will have to face more of the top teams in the latter half of the competiton & will have to beat them in order to win which wont be easy at all, ut if they do it will be much better than 99 or 2003.

FINAL FOUR:

Australia
South Africa
Pakistan
West Indies/India

Winners: Australia once they have McGrath back which will make a huge difference.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. There's no doubt Australia are coming back to the field, but they still have the best team around.

Actually, the emergence of Bracken as a reliable ODI bowler means that in McGrath, Lee, Bracken and Hogg Australia still have a very strong ODI bowling lineup at full strength, and the batting certainly can't be questioned. I wouldn't read too much into the last game... Australia were well beaten, but when you score 400+ you can hardly say it was a terrible performance.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
India will prevail.:)
YESSS they will

My wife will be in the kitchen keeping up the supply of hot snacls while I will be sitting with my beer watching Dhoni, Sachin and Sehwag sending every bowler to the cleaners.
:)

DHO DAALO INDIA !!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah. There's no doubt Australia are coming back to the field, but they still have the best team around.

Actually, the emergence of Bracken as a reliable ODI bowler means that in McGrath, Lee, Bracken and Hogg Australia still have a very strong ODI bowling lineup at full strength, and the batting certainly can't be questioned. I wouldn't read too much into the last game... Australia were well beaten, but when you score 400+ you can hardly say it was a terrible performance.
I quite agree - it was a freak game and in reality will mean little to teams other than South Africa.
But seriously - Hogg part of a strong bowling attack? :laugh:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
I quite agree - it was a freak game and in reality will mean little to teams other than South Africa.
...Yes, yes he is.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Not been paying attention? Averaged 24 with the ball across 2004 and 2005. Nothing wrong with his economy rate or his fielding or batting either.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
In my eyes, a full strength team is:

Gilchrist
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Symonds
Clarke
Hogg
Warne
Lee