• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Thread

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont understand why they have picked Anil Kumble over Ramesh Powar for the World Cup ? He is averaging close to 50 in his last 25-30 games, has strike rate of 60+ or something economy around 5. Still he gets into the squad ahead of Ramesh Powar who has performed much better than him in the limited chances given to him. ?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea, big old Kumble has looked poor in ODI's for the last few years while i thought Powar's added batting ability would have given him a spot over Kumble.

adharcric

International Coach
Had it been anyone but Kumble in his place, I'd be devastated about Powar's exclusion. Kumble is one man I trust and his experience and reliability is enough IMO. Hopefully he shows better signs in the rest of the SL series because we will need him on the big stage.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yea, big old Kumble has looked poor in ODI's for the last few years while i thought Powar's added batting ability would have given him a spot over Kumble.
What added batting ability?

We were told about it, but it never showed :(

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Have to agree with most, but it was quite predictable that Powar was going to miss out. Very sad for him tho, he deserved an opportunity.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What added batting ability?

We were told about it, but it never showed :(
What do you mean ? He has heardly gotten a chance to bat and already has a fighting 50 versus England. Powar can be a decent lower order ODI batsmen as good as Pathan.

adharcric

International Coach
Powar certainly didn't get enough opportunities to show his batting prowess but he really had to go the extra mile in his limited opportunities to climb ahead of either Bhajji or Kumble. He didn't do that.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Powar certainly didn't get enough opportunities to show his batting prowess but he really had to go the extra mile in his limited opportunities to climb ahead of either Bhajji or Kumble. He didn't do that.
Bhajji in last 10 games - Avg. - 57.57, Strike Rate - 75.4, 7 wickets
Kumble in last 10 games - Avg. 40.83, Strike Rate - 51.2, 11 Wickets
Pathan in last 10 games - Avg. -47, Strike Rate - 46.2, 7 Wickets
SreeSanth in last 10 games - Avg. 40.9, Strike Rate - 42.7, 11wickets
Agarkar in last 10 games - Avg. 33.14, Strike Rate - 35.4, 14 wickets
Zaheer in last 10 games - Avg. 36.8, Strike rate - 41.2, 11 wickets

Powar in last 10 games - Avg. 24.87, Strike Rate - 32.2, 16 wickets (Only Munaf had better figures.)

To me it seems that he was the best bowler in the above list by quite a margin and miles better than our other two spinners. This team has been selected on past reputation and not on performance, else Sehwag, Pathan, Kumble, Bhajji should not have made the team.

JaiMurugan

Cricket Spectator
I think India should have picked Powar over Sreesanth and Kaif over Sehwag.

Sehwag is simply too unreliable and Powar is playing to India's strength which is spin.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bhajji in last 10 games - Avg. - 57.57, Strike Rate - 75.4, 7 wickets
Kumble in last 10 games - Avg. 40.83, Strike Rate - 51.2, 11 Wickets
Pathan in last 10 games - Avg. -47, Strike Rate - 46.2, 7 Wickets
SreeSanth in last 10 games - Avg. 40.9, Strike Rate - 42.7, 11wickets
Agarkar in last 10 games - Avg. 33.14, Strike Rate - 35.4, 14 wickets
Zaheer in last 10 games - Avg. 36.8, Strike rate - 41.2, 11 wickets

Powar in last 10 games - Avg. 24.87, Strike Rate - 32.2, 16 wickets (Only Munaf had better figures.)

To me it seems that he was the best bowler in the above list by quite a margin and miles better than our other two spinners. This team has been selected on past reputation and not on performance, else Sehwag, Pathan, Kumble, Bhajji should not have made the team.
That list would show a lot more if you mentioned economy rates. But yeah, I would picked him in front of Kumble or even Pathan (although then he'd only be in there in the event of injury as I couldn't see three spinners working.)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a disgrace Powar has been left out.Seems that the Indian selectors are just trying to take the easy option and not make big decisions.Pathan or Harbhajan should really have been dropped.Harbhajan in the last year has turned into a very ordinary spinner especially
in the one day arena recently.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That list would show a lot more if you mentioned economy rates. But yeah, I would picked him in front of Kumble or even Pathan (although then he'd only be in there in the event of injury as I couldn't see three spinners working.)
Bhajji Economy Rate - 4.69
Kumble Economy Rate - 4.75
Zaheer Economy Rate - 4.99
Irfan Economy Rate - 6.09
Santh Economy Rate - 5.74
AgarkarEconomy Rate - 5.43

Powar Economy Rate - 4.62.

pup11

International Coach
IMO, i think the indian selectors seem to live on past laurels and prefer big names when they select a team. If you are young player in india with good performances pitted against big name[who is hardly consistent performing] then you have no chance of being selected. If you want to win a world cup you need to make some bold decision which is not the case with indian team.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Bhajji Economy Rate - 4.69
Kumble Economy Rate - 4.75
Zaheer Economy Rate - 4.99
Irfan Economy Rate - 6.09
Santh Economy Rate - 5.74
AgarkarEconomy Rate - 5.43

Powar Economy Rate - 4.62.
I don't think Zaheer should be in there. That figure you've given includes matches he played just before he was dropped and before his County cricket season. He seems to be a much improved bowler now.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Zaheer should be in there. That figure you've given includes matches he played just before he was dropped and before his County cricket season. He seems to be a much improved bowler now.
He definately has and by no means I was suggesting that Powar should have been included ahead of Guys like Zaheer and SreeSanth but based on performance he definately deserved to be picked ahead of Bhajji and Kumble.

adharcric

International Coach
Kumble should be picked on the basis of experience and reliability. You make a good point and it's one that I've made in the past, but there's something intangible about opting for Kumble ... a gut instinct that he'll deliver on the big occasion so to speak. Powar had a strong case for inclusion over Bhajji though. Really, Pathan should have been the one to miss out but he's the only option we have if we want a 5-man bowling attack.

Last edited: