• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Thread

adharcric

International Coach
Updated India World Cup Ladder

1. Rahul Dravid
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Yuvraj Singh
4. Virender Sehwag
5. Harbhajan Singh
6. Mahendra Singh Dhoni
7. Irfan Pathan
8. Ajit Agarkar
9. Mohammad Kaif
10. Sreesanth
11. Ramesh Powar
12. Munaf Patel
13. Suresh Raina
14. Rudra Pratap Singh
15. Dinesh Mongia
16. Anil Kumble
17. Robin Uthappa
18. Ashish Nehra
19. VRV Singh
20. Gautam Gambhir
21. Venugopal Rao
22. Piyush Chawla
22. Zaheer Khan
24. Murali Kartik
25. Dinesh Karthik

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dhoni's place is higher than Sehwag's IMO. And Irfan may have been dropped in the test arena, but he's of a higher ranking than Harbhajan in ODIs as well I'd say. Particularly with Powar pushing for a place, and Irfan clearly having allround skills in the ODI form of the game.

adharcric

International Coach
Jono said:
Dhoni's place is higher than Sehwag's IMO. And Irfan may have been dropped in the test arena, but he's of a higher ranking than Harbhajan in ODIs as well I'd say. Particularly with Powar pushing for a place, and Irfan clearly having allround skills in the ODI form of the game.
I just don't think Pathan will be as effective in a place like the West Indies, even if he gets his control back. He might not get the swing that he's gotten over the past year in other places and if that's the case, he might get butchered. I hope he'll still be a solid one-day bowler but I'm not as sure about it as I am about Sreesanth having a bright future. As for Powar, I think he might get dropped for Kumble when the WC arrives. If not that, he might get pushed out for someone like Dinesh Mongia, if he's able to bowl some tidy left-arm spin.

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ok Here's my WC 15

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Kaif
Yuvraj
Dravid
Raina
Dhoni
Pathan
Sreesanth
Powar
Kumble
Harbhajan
AA
Munaf
Dinesh Mongia

adharcric

International Coach
Pre-CT World Cup Contenders

1. Rahul Dravid
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Yuvraj Singh
4. Harbhajan Singh
5. Virender Sehwag
6. Mahendra Singh Dhoni
7. Munaf Patel
8. Irfan Pathan
9. Suresh Raina
10. Ajit Agarkar
11. Dinesh Mongia
12. Sreesanth
13. Anil Kumble
14. Mohammad Kaif
15. Rudra Pratap Singh
16. Ramesh Powar
17. Gautam Gambhir
18. Zaheer Khan
19. Dinesh Karthik
20. Vikram Rajvir Singh

Just missed out: Uthappa, Sharma, Rao, Badrinath, Kartik, Nehra

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Probable World Cup Squad

The squad selected for the tour of South Africa is probably what we'll end up with going into the World Cup, more or less.

Batsmen: V Sehwag, S Tendulkar, R Dravid, Y Singh, D Mongia, G Gambhir, S Raina, M Kaif Wicketkeeper: MS Dhoni
Seamers: I Pathan, A Agarkar, Z Khan, S Sreesanth, M Patel
Spinners: H Singh, A Kumble

Since the World Cup squad is probably a 15-man squad, either Gambhir or Raina/Kaif/Mongia will miss out.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
The squad selected for the tour of South Africa is probably what we'll end up with going into the World Cup, more or less.

Batsmen: V Sehwag, S Tendulkar, R Dravid, Y Singh, D Mongia, G Gambhir, S Raina, M Kaif Wicketkeeper: MS Dhoni
Seamers: I Pathan, A Agarkar, Z Khan, S Sreesanth, M Patel
Spinners: H Singh, A Kumble

Since the World Cup squad is probably a 15-man squad, either Gambhir or Raina/Kaif/Mongia will miss out.
damn! what the hell did powar do wrong? stupid zonal politics!

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid said:
Politics is correct, otherwise where the hell did Gambhir go wrong?
Dropping Gambhir was the right move but he should've been back in the team by now. He's been on fire and Sehwag's been crap.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Absolutely nohing, but can you argue against Kumble being in the World Cup side?
no..his bowling more than compensates for his average fielding and in any case, it's not as if the indian side is so full of fantastic fielders that he would significantly bring down the fielding standards....but powar should've been in the team and you're right, sehwag should've been toast a while back....no matter, at this point, i don't have too much hope going into this world cup....we still shake in our boots at the sight of the canary yellow, we've acquired a new bugbear in the hosts, our "promising young attack" is threatening to come apart at the seams and our batting lineup looks vulnerable at the faintest sign of any assistance to the bowler....

adharcric

International Coach
Anil said:
no..his bowling more than compensates for his average fielding and in any case, it's not as if the indian side is so full of fantastic fielders that he would significantly bring down the fielding standards....but powar should've been in the team and you're right, sehwag should've been toast a while back....no matter, at this point, i don't have too much hope going into this world cup....we still shake in our boots at the sight of the canary yellow, we've acquired a new bugbear in the hosts, our "promising young attack" is threatening to come apart at the seams and our batting lineup looks vulnerable at the faintest sign of any assistance to the bowler....
Indian cricket is going through a rough stretch but we still have a tour of South Africa and a home series to straighten up. Kumble and Zaheer are back and Laxman should return soon.
Really, who shakes in their boots at the sight of the Aussies? Munaf, Sreesanth, Dhoni and Raina are young, courageous and clearly not afraid of the Aussies. We've simply been outplayed by them and it's been a lack of class and performance on our part. The Aussies know how to win; we don't. Now, Laxman and Kumble do ... so hopefully things change over the next few months.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Indian cricket is going through a rough stretch but we still have a tour of South Africa and a home series to straighten up. Kumble and Zaheer are back and Laxman should return soon.
Really, who shakes in their boots at the sight of the Aussies? Munaf, Sreesanth, Dhoni and Raina are young, courageous and clearly not afraid of the Aussies. We've simply been outplayed by them and it's been a lack of class and performance on our part. The Aussies know how to win; we don't. Now, Laxman and Kumble do ... so hopefully things change over the next few months.
we lose to them continuously.....they certainly hold a psychological edge over us, it shows in the ease with which they beat us most times....i am obviously not talking about anyone literally shaking with fear but other than the class difference, it's been a while since we've made india-aus matches a tight contest....even with the class difference, teams can occasionally beat them as the west indies have shown recently...as for laxman, based on vengsarkar's remarks, i still don't see him coming back into the team...regarding kumble and zaheer coming back, kumble is a tried and tested performer at the international level and if he performs at anywhere near his best, it would be great for india, for all his first class form, zaheer has consistently underperformed whenever given a chance at the international level so i would say the jury is still out on that one....

shankar

International Debutant
Anil said:
regarding kumble and zaheer coming back, kumble is a tried and tested performer at the international level and if he performs at anywhere near his best, it would be great for india....
I'm not sure about Kumble. He could prove me wrong but when he was dropped from ODIs it was for a good reason. He had lost his accuracy of old. Even in tests he's more effective now than before cause he has more variety - But his accuracy has deteriorated and he bowls too many deliveries 'down-the-leg' than he used to.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
shankar said:
I'm not sure about Kumble. He could prove me wrong but when he was dropped from ODIs it was for a good reason. He had lost his accuracy of old. Even in tests he's more effective now than before cause he has more variety - But his accuracy has deteriorated and he bowls too many deliveries 'down-the-leg' than he used to.
that may be the case but he could still prove more potent than anyone in our current attack i think....

adharcric

International Coach
shankar said:
I thought he had lost his accuracy in Pakistan, but he looked quite good in the West Indies.

Nishant

International 12th Man
adharcric said:
I thought he had lost his accuracy in Pakistan, but he looked quite good in the West Indies.

Ur right about that, and unlike many others i don't actually think its taking a step backwards...its just making the best of the players to have. Anyway, id rather see Ganguly in the team instead of Raina!

adharcric

International Coach
Can we stop about Raina please?
Everyone knows that he's been crap with the bat lately so why would you keep repeating the same thing?
This tour is clearly his final chance to salvage his role in the WC squad, so let's let his bat do the talking (or not).