• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Blaze

Banned
Matt52 said:
I am a bit dim sometimes so can you explain ......"lol"?
laugh out loud.

Ryder has a very poor One Day record. I think he averages less than 25 in the shorter form of the game. I don't think he is a One Day prospect at this stage of his career. His chance will come after the World Cup, not before it.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
NZTailender said:
I'm not sure what the chances are on Ryder making the WC squad, but if we played tomorrow I wouldn't have that squad. Vincent has been going great guns opening with Astle (although recently How has had that job).

I wouldn't have Franklin playing, unless someone like Oram was injured. Then I'd expect his batting to step up but I'm not sure if he can do that..
Maybe you are right. I am a fan of Vincent as well. Ryder is maybe a bit raw at the moment but you could stick him in on potential alone and give him a season before the world cup to gain a little experience. Vincent could open for the time being though. Think Vincent is a great player and has been treated like crap by the selctors. How he got dropped instead of Styris blew me away. I looked on Cricinfo and since Lou came back into the side two years ago he has averaged 49 in tests, and 38 in one dayers. Over that same 2 year period Styris averaged 30 in tests and 30 in one dayers. Lou gets you almost 40 more runs per test (2 innings), and 8 more runs per one dayer yet is dropped.

Last edited:

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
That's a very inexperienced team you've posted. I'm not saying that I don't want any bolters for our squad, because I like the look of Taylor in particular, but I wouldn't be very confident with several inexperienced guys like Ryder, Butler and Taylor in the playing XI.

And I'd be very surprised if Bracewell took anything other than a conservative approach to selection.

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
Vincent
Astle
Fleming
Fulton
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond
Patel

IMO Patel has to be in the side, especially given the slow West Indies pitches. He's proven himself to be a good attacking spinner to complement Vettori's superb economy. If Vettori can keep taking 2-30 and patel can pick up 3-40ish per match then thats a pretty effective way to utilise 20 overs of bowling. I like Patel's potential as a death bowler too, not sure where he should bat amongst the tailenders though.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Sir Redman said:
That's a very inexperienced team you've posted. I'm not saying that I don't want any bolters for our squad, because I like the look of Taylor in particular, but I wouldn't be very confident with several inexperienced guys like Ryder, Butler and Taylor in the playing XI.

And I'd be very surprised if Bracewell took anything other than a conservative approach to selection.
You are probably right about Bracewell's selection policy. I think Taylor needs to be in the starting line up, even if he is inexperienced. You have got to balance out experience with having the most talented team you possibly can on the park. Ryder is apparently the same or very similar age to Taylor though, so an argument for one would be an argument for the other(in terms of experience). Butler has been around long enough I think. He is more experienced than Jeetan Patel.

I tend to pick players I enjoy watching so a fast bowler like Butler charging in beats another boring medium pacer anyday.

I hear what you are saying about experience but I am a believer in putting your most talented side on the park and letting them develop into a side by playing consisitently in the same team and playing the same roles. Then after a year or two you have the most talented and experienced side on the park. The best of both worlds.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Black Caps team for the World Cup was named a few moments ago:

Hopefully I get this right - just remember what was just read on Radio Sport

Stephen Fleming (c)
Shane Bond
Lou Vincent
Ross Taylor
Peter Fulton
Michael Mason
Daniel Vettori
Scott Styris
Craig McMillan
Brendon McCullum
Darryl Tuffey
Mark Gillespie
Jeetan Patel
Jacob Oram
James Franklin

Natman20

International Debutant
Good to see Tuffey back in the squad. Switch Franklin for him or maybe Gillespie as he is going for a few. I probably would have preffered Harris in the squad because of his all-round abilities especially on WI slow tracks but Tuffey has played well for us in the past and I hope that he gets form back in the Chappell/Hadlee series

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Chris Harris has been scoring runs (more than what McmIllan scored when he was in the domestic competition) and is a better fielder, I would have gone with.

I would have Harry there, he would make a great sub. fielder. Then again, it looks like McMillan is in front of Fulton now with the later being dropped from the C/H Squad.

Natman20

International Debutant
Tuffeys Figures in his 10 games back from injury

1. 10 1 50 0
2. 9.5 1 47 1
3. 8 0 40 0
4. 6 0 36 1
5. 10 0 60 0
6. 10 2 36 0
7. 10 2 41 1
8. 10 1 37 1
9. 10 1 45 0
10. 8 1 25 2

Just thought id post what I said in the other thread. Hes on the improve I think. His overall average for the state shield was 69 not good but what I expected it to start off with after two years of injury.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With both Mcmillan and Fulton firing in recent games and Oram hopefully due back sooner than was originally thought, you'd have to think Styris is the most likely to be left out of the final playing eleven...

Unless its a spinners track i'd have ....

Vincent
Fleming
Taylor
Fulton
Oram
Mcmillan
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin (Patel on a spinners deck)
Gilliespie
Bond

The only negative aspect to leaving an out of form Styris out is that I think his medium pacers could be useful on W.Indies decks and this mean Mcmillan would need to be the
6th bowling option.

That is a very strong batting side btw, and its just ashame for NZ fans that Mills is ruled out

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
With both Mcmillan and Fulton firing in recent games and Oram hopefully due back sooner than was originally thought, you'd have to think Styris is the most likely to be left out of the final playing eleven...

Zinzan - best avatar there mate. You need to enlighten us to more info on this lady. :p