• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Thread

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well it seems as if all the others teams are to have one so i'll make one for my boys. Well its obvious to most other australian fans here what our best OD XI will be, but i'm going to make a guess what the WC team might be like:

1. Ponting
2. Gilchrist
3. Jaques
4. Martyn
5. Symonds
6. Clarke
7. Hussey
8. Haddin
9. Watson
10. Henriques/Hopes
11. Hogg
12. Lee
13. McGrath
14. Bracken
15. Tait

At the moment blokes like Katich & Clark are in the squad and are doing well, but i get the feeling by the time the end of the VB series next year it will be though for them to hold out Jaques & Tait from the OD squad, thus they wont go to the WC.

With Henriques i think he has a fair chance of making the team presuming he impresses for NSW next season. Hopes had his chance this season & i liked the look of him but i dont know if the selectors will pick him back again, but if he does well also next season he could go instead of Henriques.

Finally some people may say an extra batsman may go in (Cosgrove, Katich or D Hussey) instead of Haddin. But for me since Australia will be going into the WC with a whole lot of cricket behind them Gilly will need an understudy, also added to the fact that Haddin is a pretty good batsman in his own right.

ash chaulk

International Captain
agreed...

shudnt take haddin shud over look him as the next aussie keeper and go for someone else he sucks

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Katich won't last. Hayden will be back.
yea i agree Katich wont last, but why would they go back to Hayden?, i know he still can cut it at OD level but i'd say Jaques would get the nod ahead of him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ash chaulk said:
agreed...

shudnt take haddin shud over look him as the next aussie keeper and go for someone else he sucks
bit harsh to say Haddin sucks dont you think, he has been actually garbabge in the games he has played for Australia. Plus when Gilly does go if no other young keeper states claim i don't think Haddin would be the worst short term replacement. But i'm looking at the WC itself & Gilly would need a backup so he should go.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Katich won't last. Hayden will be back.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, though he will have to start getting alot closer to Jaques in terms of numbers of runs between now and then.

Hayden has it all over him in terms of fielding which will give him an advantage.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
yea i agree Katich wont last, but why would they go back to Hayden?, i know he still can cut it at OD level but i'd say Jaques would get the nod ahead of him.
Why did they go back to Martyn? Experience. Jaques may have the runs in domestic level, but Hayden has it all over him in the experience stakes. If Jaques isn't going to get a run in the side now, then he won't be in the squad for the World Cup. After the Bangladesh tour there are no one dayers for Australia unitl the Champions Trophy, far too close to blood somebody for the World Cup. If Katich lasts until then and they need a replacement it will be Hayden especially if he continues with his current form.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
ash chaulk said:
agreed...

Why? I think his glovework is pretty good, superior to Gilly's, and is the best batsman among all the keepers in Australia. And he is experienced.

andyc

I daresay there's no chance Henriques will be picked for this World Cup.

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
1. Ponting
2. Gilchrist
3. Jaques
4. Martyn
5. Symonds
6. Clarke
7. Hussey
8. Haddin
9. Watson
10. Henriques/Hopes
11. Hogg
12. Lee
13. McGrath
14. Bracken
15. Tait

Geez Aussie, our selection meetings wouldn't take long. Once again, we're fairly like-minded here. I only disagree with number 10 (above). The big point with the bowling is that with the small grounds and flat wickets in the Windies, I reckon the only way to really contain the opposition will be to take wickets. Therefore, I'd be looking through that prism when selecting my bowlers. To that end, there's not much room for Hopes or Henriques. And, as allrounders, neither would be batting in the top seven anyway, so there's not much point. Rather, I'd give Warnie the selection guarantee that he's been looking for - a proven ODI wicket-taker, and a great presence in pressure situations.

Last edited:

andyc

I'm pretty certain Warne has made it clear he does not plan on playing.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Aussie, I can't see how you could include Henriques when I'm assuming you have never seen him play.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Aussie, I can't see how you could include Henriques when I'm assuming you have never seen him play.
yea i did, i saw him bowl 2 overs in the Under-19 WC semi-final, and i liked what i saw.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Why did they go back to Martyn? Experience. Jaques may have the runs in domestic level, but Hayden has it all over him in the experience stakes. If Jaques isn't going to get a run in the side now, then he won't be in the squad for the World Cup. After the Bangladesh tour there are no one dayers for Australia unitl the Champions Trophy, far too close to blood somebody for the World Cup. If Katich lasts until then and they need a replacement it will be Hayden especially if he continues with his current form.
hmm well i cant really disagree with you here, only thing i may want to consider is that just to update you Australia have a triangular OD tournament with IND/PAK before the Champions trophy then they go into the VB series.

So Even if Katich is dropped during that period i don't know if they would automatically go back to Hayden just like in Martyn. I think with Martyn they went back to him with the ashes in mind, the OD top 7 no matter who partners Gilly is powerful. For me both Jaques & Hayden have a good chance.

ash chaulk

International Captain
burkey_1988 said:
Why? I think his glovework is pretty good, superior to Gilly's, and is the best batsman among all the keepers in Australia. And he is experienced.
well realising that haddin probably is the best keeper out of ronchi clingleffer manou crosswaithe and that qld dude i am scared because i dont think that haddin is good enough yet.. i dont think theres point taking another keeper that doesnt have the proof that he can make the big scores for us. eg haddins int avg of 18.