• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Thread

adharcric

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Where did he rule it out? I've seen him say several times precisely the opposite... that is, "I'm not ruling it out".

I think what he wants is a selection guarantee for the World Cup. It would be silly for Warne to come out of retirement for the 2007 VB Series, play a few games and then miss the WC in favour of Hogg.

Given Warne's love for the big occasion and the media spectacle, I wouldn't be especially surprised if he did come out of retirement. I wouldn't bet on it happening either, but I certainly wouldn't say there's 0 chance.
I do recall him ruling it out recently, not sure where I read it but I surely did.

Still, that doesn't mean he won't come back. In the heat of the moment when Australia needs him for the World Cup, he might just get tempted. Or not.

mefly

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Dan Cullen is definatly a future prospect i could not see someone like Nathan Hauritz or that guy that replaced Hoggy for WA playing for Australia replacing guys like Warnie and MacGill.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
Warne, I think, ruled out a comeback before the WC. He didn't rule out a comeback for the WC.
All the same, it is highly unlikely that he will return for the WC.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Knowing Warne, you really think so? I'd say there's at least a chance.
Well with Warne either wanting to spend more time with his family or as many women as possible I don't think he will come back before the world cup. And if the Aussie selectors won't select McGrath for a test tour without playing a Pura Cup match I can't see them selecting Warne just for the WC alone.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
mefly said:
Dan Cullen is definatly a future prospect i could not see someone like Nathan Hauritz or that guy that replaced Hoggy for WA playing for Australia replacing guys like Warnie and MacGill.
its highly unlikely that Hauritz will ever play international cricket again..

howardj

International Coach
I think Warne is worried about two things. Firstly, the strain that heaps of ODI's would put on his body. Secondly, making himself available and then being overlooked. To that end, Australia need Warne so much (and other guys who can take wickets and do something with the ball) I'd offer him a walk up start to the latter stages of next year's VB Series; The Chappell-Hadlee; and then the World Cup. Then see if he changes his mind. I think the odds would be pretty good.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming Warne would not go to the WC, since i dont thik Australia will suffer if he doesn't go.

I think Daniel Cullen has a fair chance of going to the WC in this vacant position , since i dont think all-rounders i.e Hopes, White, Henriques will go, thoughts?

1. Gilchrist
2. Jaques or (Hayden/Katich)
3. Ponting
4. Martyn
5. Symonds
6. Hussey
7. Clarke
8. Watson
9. ?
10. Hogg
11. Lee
12. McGrath
13. Bracken
14. Clark
15. Haddin

adharcric

International Coach
aussie said:
Assuming Warne would not go to the WC, since i dont thik Australia will suffer if he doesn't go.

I think Daniel Cullen has a fair chance of going to the WC in this vacant position , since i dont think all-rounders i.e Hopes, White, Henriques will go, thoughts?

1. Gilchrist
3. Ponting
4. Martyn
5. Symonds
6. Hussey
7. Clarke
8. Watson
9. ?
10. Hogg
11. Lee
12. McGrath
13. Bracken
14. Clark
15. Haddin
If you want Haddin as a reserve keeper, you're better off going with 16. Dan Cullen or Cameron White at #9 and Hopes or Henriques with an outside chance at #15 in place of Haddin. No other nation will send a reserve keeper, why should the Aussies?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The limit is 15 i think, so you got the work the combinations within that range.

The reason i think Australia would carry Haddin since going into the WC Australia will be just coming off a long season of the CT, the ashes & the VB series & Gilly at his age will need back up i feel, plus Haddin is a decent batsman.

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:

1. Gilchrist
3. Ponting
4. Martyn
5. Symonds
6. Hussey
7. Clarke
8. Watson
9. ?
10. Hogg
11. Lee
12. McGrath
13. Bracken
14. Clark
15. Haddin
If Warney could slot in there at No.9, that'd be the perfect squad, I reckon.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
If Warney could slot in there at No.9, that'd be the perfect squad, I reckon.
yep it would, but i'm starting to believe that he might not make that wonderful return to the OD side.

oz_fan

International Regular
aussie said:
yep it would, but i'm starting to believe that he might not make that wonderful return to the OD side.
It would be an incredible boost for the team if Warnie came back. I doubt he will get another chance at the World Cup after this.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well just before the 1sst test vs BA, Hollywood ruled out playing OD cricket again, so i think we should rule him out for good now. So for me his replacement should be Cullen.

Also another Dilemna i see coming up when the WC squad is going to be selected is who are they going to pick as backup to McGrath (presuming he's fit), Lee and Bracken between Tait, Gillespie and Clark.

Tait - he will offer pace, wildness, great wicket taking ability, probably good death bowling (since looking at him even though wild, his action could make him hard for batsmen to pick him up to slogg at the death and not that great tailend batting

Gillespie - once he keeps showing he's got it again, he will offer experience, great backup to Bing and pigeon and very capable tail end batting.

Clark - he will offer accuracy, once he keeps his form up will also offer great backup to Bing and pigeon, the odd good death bowling, and hit or miss tail-end resistance.

If all 3 are in good bowling form during the VB series leading up to the WC, i would go for Dizzy. But it would be a good headache to have no doubt.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Gilly's Partner

Well its obvious Katich isn't the best option to partner Gilly at the top. But i got a gut feeling that Katich may hold off both Jaques and Hayden for a WC place and may do well enough even though he doesn't score at the usual rapid pace of the others (which could be a problem on the small caribbean grounds).

But IMO even though i would definately have Jaques at the top (as is the case with most of us) i dont think having an anchor at the top would be such a bad thing giving that they are 7 other batsman who can easily lift the scoring rate at any time.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
well just before the 1sst test vs BA, Hollywood ruled out playing OD cricket again, so i think we should rule him out for good now. So for me his replacement should be Cullen.

Also another Dilemna i see coming up when the WC squad is going to be selected is who are they going to pick as backup to McGrath (presuming he's fit), Lee and Bracken between Tait, Gillespie and Clark.

Tait - he will offer pace, wildness, great wicket taking ability, probably good death bowling (since looking at him even though wild, his action could make him hard for batsmen to pick him up to slogg at the death and not that great tailend batting

Gillespie - once he keeps showing he's got it again, he will offer experience, great backup to Bing and pigeon and very capable tail end batting.

Clark - he will offer accuracy, once he keeps his form up will also offer great backup to Bing and pigeon, the odd good death bowling, and hit or miss tail-end resistance.

If all 3 are in good bowling form during the VB series leading up to the WC, i would go for Dizzy. But it would be a good headache to have no doubt.
Gillespie has to be in the WC squad.