• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Thread

pup11

International Coach
I was reading symo's comments that how desperate he is to play in the world cup and do well for his side. Though buchanan is bit worried that symo might just hurry in coming back[he wants him by super 8's] and hence end up injuring himself again. But symo is backing himself to play on 24 march against RSA, and he isn't concerned even if due to that his injury might surface again as he feels the risk is worth it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Geez the Channel 10 news guys are wankers. Their sports lead tonight was that, "the day after Stuart Clark's controversial omission, Shaun Tait has produced a shocker for SA" and then done a five minute story about how Tait bowled 8 wides in his first 5 overs (admittedly including one Harmison-esque double-wide). They did a whole piece about how Tait didn't deserve his spot over Clark, but then as they threw back to the sports anchor he mentioned as a throw-away line, "oh by the way, Tait still finished his ten overs with figures of 4-32"!!!!

Talk about a bit of a hachet job! 8-)

pup11

International Coach
I think its pretty evident to everyone that when taito bowls at that sort of pace there are bound to be some balls off target. But still you have to give it to taito, even after bowling 8 wides he still has figures of 4-32 so thats a great performance. As for clark he has now decided to work on his odi bowling in a bid to cement his place in aussie odi team too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Geez the Channel 10 news guys are wankers. Their sports lead tonight was that, "the day after Stuart Clark's controversial omission, Shaun Tait has produced a shocker for SA" and then done a five minute story about how Tait bowled 8 wides in his first 5 overs (admittedly including one Harmison-esque double-wide). They did a whole piece about how Tait didn't deserve his spot over Clark, but then as they threw back to the sports anchor he mentioned as a throw-away line, "oh by the way, Tait still finished his ten overs with figures of 4-32"!!!!

Talk about a bit of a hachet job! 8-)
Ask Kyle about the NSW media.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Daily Telegraph is a disgrace, could they be anymore pro Stuart Clark and have a crack any non NSW player. They are terrible during Rugby League season with their bias towards the Sydney teams but its carried over into cricket now, how pathetic...

pup11

International Coach
Lets cross our fingers guys so that no other aussie player gets on the injury list. Really all these injuries have started to worry me big time, i am not worried for symo because i know he would make it to world cup by super 8's. I am more worried about lee because he is such a key player for us in the bid to win the world cup(but ankle takes a lot of time).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You can edit posts, you know, you don't have to post the exact same thing all over again just to add one tiny bit.

howardj

International Coach
Which tells us a good deal about those two characters.

Different people have different priorities in life. If someone puts cricket above family, that's their choice. I don't agree with it, and those who don't agree with family>cricket should also respect those who purvey it.
The team comes first though. It's professional sport. With Gilchrist, by all means be there for the birth in late February. However, I just do not understand this need to take an additional three weeks off in March - during the World Cup (the most important tournament in cricket). It's great that he wants to put his family first, but it should not come at the expense of the team.

Clearly, it's in the team's best interests to have their vice-captain (he's not just a keeper and batsman) in camp during the initial stages of the World Cup. Particularly given Australia's troubles. I just can't believe that, for guys who get three or four months off in the year, that they're granted extended time off during the height of summer, and during the most important tournament on the calendar.

howardj

International Coach
At the risk of sounding like Mr Doomsday (because I actually think we're still the favourites for the World Cup) there are some concerns with the team at present.

Firstly, we're not taking the early wickets that we used to. The number of times McGrath (and even Lee) used to kill an ODI with two wickets in the first five or six overs was astonishing. Now, with McGrath not as menacing and Lee possibly out of the World Cup, this match killing trait has almost disappeared.

Secondly, there's no doubt our catching, fielding and the hitting of the stumps with our throwing (even from Ponting) has been way down on our normal standards this ODI summer. Is all the fitness work that they've been doing coming at the expense of our skills work, and is it leaving us flat for games?

Because, let's face it, at this stage of the seaon, I reckon the most you could squeeze out of the team in terms of extra fitness would be a few percent. The guys should already be near peak fitness. Whereas, we could benefit way more out of some extra, short sharp skills sessions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The team comes first though. It's professional sport. With Gilchrist, by all means be there for the birth in late February. However, I just do not understand this need to take an additional three weeks off in March - during the World Cup (the most important tournament in cricket). It's great that he wants to put his family first, but it should not come at the expense of the team.

Clearly, it's in the team's best interests to have their vice-captain (he's not just a keeper and batsman) in camp during the initial stages of the World Cup. Particularly given Australia's troubles. I just can't believe that, for guys who get three or four months off in the year, that they're granted extended time off during the height of summer, and during the most important tournament on the calendar.
I see what you're saying in some respects but I just can't see Gilchrist being neccessary to beat Holland and Scotland.

howardj

International Coach
It's the preparation though mate- and he's the vice captain.

Moreover, it is cricket season - it's his job to be there.

deeps

International 12th Man
Does anyone feel Hogg's spot in the starting XI is under threat? Or is new zealand just not a gd place for spinners? Seemed a little expensive in the last game, and no wickets to back him up either...usually he chips in with a handy 2 or 3.

Be a shame to see him miss out, he's probably out of practice from not playign for so long.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Does anyone feel Hogg's spot in the starting XI is under threat? Or is new zealand just not a gd place for spinners? Seemed a little expensive in the last game, and no wickets to back him up either...usually he chips in with a handy 2 or 3.

Be a shame to see him miss out, he's probably out of practice from not playign for so long.
Ground was tiny, pitch was flat, and he had a guy dropped on not many who then went on to smash him around the ground. He can be forgiven IMO.

pup11

International Coach
I think Hogg is going to be a key player for the aussies to win the world cup on caribbean pitches. I think he is just a bit rusty due to lack of games and i expect him to come good soon.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hogg's a bit of a worry, as he hasn't taken a wicket yet in four games back.

Still, he did bowl quite well in the second CB final IMO, and was unlucky not to take a couple. Was poorly used by Hussey in the last game, obviously. And he's a quality, experienced player. Hopefully he'll get it right soon.

howardj

International Coach

He needs to adjust his line on the smaller grounds. On Sunday he bowled too straight. When you bowl straight, and spin it towards leg on a small ground, it makes it easy (as the Kiwis did) to put you to (or over) the fence. I still believe in Hoggy though. He should be persisted with.