• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
We all know that Sri Lanka are going to win the World Cup, but who will they play in the final. :D :cool:

Discuss...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You will so how good they are in a couple week when they play Pakistan.

So guys what do you think our team going to be come 2007, personally i have no idea in particular the bowling line up. The batting line up is a bit more settle apart from one or two spots.

I'll take a guess:

1. S Jayasuriya
2. U Tharanga
3. M Atapattu
4. K Sangakkara (wk)
5. M Jayawardne (c)
6. T Dilshan
7. C Kappa
8. C Vaas
9. M Bandara
10. M Muralitharan
11. R Perera

12. M Vandort
13. F Maharoof
14. K L
15. N Kulasekara

There a couple names that i can't spell and im not going to even try.

Last edited:

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
i can really see Maharoof comming in for the hard hitting Kapugedara (don't mind my spelling) for his allround abilities..

alternative

very true..
Maharoof should have played the VB series.. it would have been a huge advantage to boost his confidence and see where he actually stands against the best in the world..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
alternative said:
very true..
Maharoof should have played the VB series.. it would have been a huge advantage to boost his confidence and see where he actually stands against the best in the world..
He was there just got injured.

adharcric

International Coach
IMO, Sri Lanka are on the way down and India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are on the way up in the subcontinent ... unless Sri Lanka can unearth some decent bowlers apart from Vass, Murali, Bandara & Maharoof. It's hard to have faith in Malinga or Fernando.

alternative

I have NO faith with Fernando.. i just don't know why he is in the team.. i actually prefer Nuwan Kulasekara.. i thaught he bowled quite good with limited international experience in the VB series..

On the fast bowling aspect, sri lanka has some sort of future with Ruchira Perara too... thaught he impressed in couple of games in VB series..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Time to take to cob webs of this thread. Can we win the World Cup guys, or did we just smack a very very poor English side 5-0. Personally i think it is both, looking back at the VB Series, we did match the Aussies in a lot of games, mainly on the back of Sanath, but we did push the world champions.

Looking at the series against England, im liking the look of our opening combinations. Sanath and Tharanga look like a perfect combinations and maybe even better then Kalu/Sanath or Atapattu/Sanath.

Malinga seem to have really grown as a bowler and he might find some similar pace friendly conditions in the Windies. Like Sanath/Tharanga i think that Malinga and Vaas is a perfect opening combinations. Attack from one end and containment from the other.

I also have to admitt i like the look Jayawardene captaincy, when i first saw him in Sri Lanka captaining North Central, he looked a very good captain and seems to have grown well into that role. I can't see Atapattu coming back, or even making the side, as a batsmen. So Mahela captaincy is going to very important. His move to number has been very good as well and i hope he moves there in Test too.

But for Sri Lanka to have any chance we need improve the performances of our 5, 6 and 7, for me their not doing enough and Dilshan is keeping his spot on the back of his bowling. The other major concern is our 3rd or 4th seamer bowlers, Maharoof and Dilhara really need to find another gear or level. ATM they are just doing servicable jobs if that.

I'll back Maharoof even though most people don't rate him. He can do a containing job and can score some vital runs down the order. For the other spot i personally rather then give Bandara the 4th bowler spot, but that unlikely, so i hope Ruchira can find some fitness and produce the form he should in Australia. If not i'll give Zoysa another run, for me Dilhara is a waste of space, nothing more, nothing less.

Your thoughts?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i have been really impressed by Sri Lanka since the VB series i think they have pretty much the right combination in most area's, a real contender to win the world cup if they continue this form IMO.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
No real surprises there, i guess Zoysa was a bit unluckly to miss out with Kulasekara getting the last spot. Pretty pissed off they went to Arnold rather then giving Kapugedera a chance. I think it might come back to bit us in the arse, we really need a player like him to have a slog in the last 10. Probably the real area that the side last apart from back up seamers. I do hope that Bandara gets a go if we go with 5 bowlers over Kulasekara and Dilhara.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Nuwan Zoysa and Kumara Dharmasena have been treated absolutely abysmally.
Kumara retired and is an umpire now, Zoysa had plenty of chances and doesn't delivery when required, goes missing way too often. No doubt that Dilhara had more chances, but its time we looked at some young guys and give them as many chances.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
My Side for the 1st Match:

Tharanga
Jayasuriya
Jayawardene (c)
Sanagakkara
Atapattu
Dilshan
Arnold
Vaas
Bandara
Muralitharan
Malinga

For the only choice if whether we go for the extra bowler in Maharoof or batsmen in Arnold. Maybe it could be a option to rest Atapattu until the third match and play Silva. Also maybe we should rest Murali and play Bandara and Maharoof. But we have lost to Bangladesh before and they not playing that bad. I reckon they end of going for five bowlers and playing both Dilhara and Maharoof. We'll get rolled for 150 odd against Bangladesh and get knocked out of the cup, then again Tharanga will probably score 150 by himself.