Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sri Lanka Thread

International Vice-Captain

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    No real surprises there, i guess Zoysa was a bit unluckly to miss out with Kulasekara getting the last spot. Pretty pissed off they went to Arnold rather then giving Kapugedera a chance. I think it might come back to bit us in the arse, we really need a player like him to have a slog in the last 10. Probably the real area that the side last apart from back up seamers. I do hope that Bandara gets a go if we go with 5 bowlers over Kulasekara and Dilhara.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Nuwan Zoysa and Kumara Dharmasena have been treated absolutely abysmally.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nuwan Zoysa and Kumara Dharmasena have been treated absolutely abysmally.
    Kumara retired and is an umpire now, Zoysa had plenty of chances and doesn't delivery when required, goes missing way too often. No doubt that Dilhara had more chances, but its time we looked at some young guys and give them as many chances.

My Side for the 1st Match:

Tharanga
    Jayasuriya
    Jayawardene (c)
    Sanagakkara
    Atapattu
    Dilshan
    Arnold
    Vaas
    Bandara
    Muralitharan
    Malinga

For the only choice if whether we go for the extra bowler in Maharoof or batsmen in Arnold. Maybe it could be a option to rest Atapattu until the third match and play Silva. Also maybe we should rest Murali and play Bandara and Maharoof. But we have lost to Bangladesh before and they not playing that bad. I reckon they end of going for five bowlers and playing both Dilhara and Maharoof. We'll get rolled for 150 odd against Bangladesh and get knocked out of the cup, then again Tharanga will probably score 150 by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Kumara retired and is an umpire now, Zoysa had plenty of chances and doesn't delivery when required, goes missing way too often. No doubt that Dilhara had more chances, but its time we looked at some young guys and give them as many chances.
    A great shame - a waste of one of the best ODI spinners of the modern era.

Seriously - how many better young seamers are there than Zoysa? Kulasekura certainly isn't one, and has been picked ahead of Zoysa on terrible credentials more than once.

A great shame - a waste of one of the best ODI spinners of the modern era.

Seriously - how many better young seamers are there than Zoysa? Kulasekura certainly isn't one, and has been picked ahead of Zoysa on terrible credentials more than once.
    I disagree. Kulasekura has the accuracy to really succeed in ODI cricket IMO, even if he hasn't performed brilliantly to date. I even started a thread about him and called for his test inclusion on the grounds that he could do a holding job for Vaas, Malinga and Murali without releasing the pressure like Maharoof/Fernando tend to.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

He's better than Fernando\Maharoof, undoubtedly, and I happen to think he has real potential as a ODI bowler, thought that from the moment I saw him on debut (having read his domestic record beforehand).

But that doesn't change the fact that there've been 2 or 3 occasions recently where Nuwan Zoysa has had a far better case for selection and has been ignored.

Most ridiculous being this....

Zoysa takes 8 wickets at 15 in the warm-up games. Kulasekura takes 1 for 130-odd. Who gets picked for the First Test?

You've guessed, haven't you?

He's better than Fernando\Maharoof, undoubtedly, and I happen to think he has real potential as a ODI bowler, thought that from the moment I saw him on debut (having read his domestic record beforehand).

But that doesn't change the fact that there've been 2 or 3 occasions recently where Nuwan Zoysa has had a far better case for selection and has been ignored.

Most ridiculous being this....

Zoysa takes 8 wickets at 15 in the warm-up games. Kulasekura takes 1 for 130-odd. Who gets picked for the First Test?

You've guessed, haven't you?
    Quite possibly for the reason I said above - the selectors wanted someone to do a holding job and keep the pressure on while the other bowlers attacked. Zoysa clearly had a better case though.

Anyway, if you believe he has potential to be a good ODI bowler, then why did you pick on him in your post and not the ridiculously pathetic Fernando?

I've picked on the ridiculously pathetic Fernando so many times I just get tired of saying the same thing.

To the certainties in life of death and taxes you can add: "Dilhara Fernando will continue to be picked for Sri Lanka no matter how many times he bowls the biggest heap of **** in history, and regardless of how well others perform relative to that".

Its hard to tell how many good young seamers are in Sri Lanka, cus so many dominate domestic cricket even more then Dilhara and Zoysa. But not many get a decent run in the national side to tell how good they are. They might get one or two games, have one bad match and we go back to Zoysa and Dilhara. There have been occassion where Zoysa has warranted selection over others, but there been a lot more occassions when the others have warrent selection over Zoysa.

Take someone like Ganegama who has been in the national squad for six months. He never got a game to show that he had improved since he was last picked. Then Zoysa has a good month of domestic cricket and he gets called back into the side. Even though Ganegama has been preforming that well for 2 years at domestic level before hand. There are a lot more fast bowlers like Ganegama who are dominating domestic cricket, but never seem to get a run infront of Zoysa or Dilhara. They might prove to be crap, but atleast they should get a decent run.

For guys like Kulasekura and Maharoof is one cus they can bowl tight lines and keep the pressure on. I think you'll find long term Kulasekura will have similar problems to Maharoof interms of letting off the pressure. But the main reason they keep getting selected is cus they can hold a bat. There are mainly other similar bowlers in Sri Lanka, but cus these two can bat the will always be selected first.

I seem to recall a guy called Ranjith a while ago, and seem to remember Gangegama, despite bowling utterly terribly, getting something of a raw deal.

Personally, though, I've always thought there was something in Zoysa, if not Fernando, and have always loved to see him and Vaas opening the bowling. Sadly it may never happen again.

Zoysa will be back his still very young, but for guys like him and Dilhara (who still young himself). They should go back to domestic cricket or Murali should get on the blower to Neil Fairborther and get them a run in league cricket in England. They just need a solid 12 months of domestic and i think they will reach their potential again.

Everytime they comeback they don't seem to every learn from their mistakes, they made last time. At their best we do have two pretty good fast bowlers to go with Malinga and Vaas. But we'll never get the most out of them until we send them the message that what they are producing is not good enough to play for Sri Lanka.

I just can't believe that Fernando is ever going to solve the problem of serial-no-balling and impossible waywardness if he hasn't by now.

Zoysa, however, has suffered from such things much more sporadically, and that's what's made me think he has more potential than dear old Dilhara Slower-Ball.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    dear old Dilhara Slower-Ball.
    Yeah,it's about the only skill he's mastered
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information