Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sri Lanka Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    What are you basing this on?

at least Tharanga has the ability to play a little risky and get the necessary runs on the board if he has to, we have seen this especially in his tours of England. Can Atapattu do this? i dunno to me he seems like the absolute ideal player suited to SL's test team (of course hes already in it isnt he) where you dont have to be concerned about the run rate etc.

And also teh fact that he hasnt been playing makes it even worse...
    Tharanga's run of low scores and infrequent slow 50s are getting too risky to most people's liking as we go into the Semi finals.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    Let's see how many LBWs get given against the Aussie top order during Australia's last 3 crucial games shall we ?
    Give it a rest.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    Why then do you think the selectors are running scared of dropping him?

There must be someone in there who wants him in the team any way regardless of whether he performs or not ... That's what I meant ...
    Tom Moody the one that wanted Arnold back in the side for the World Cup. He rates him as a multi-skilled type players. He can bat, bowl and is rated as one of our better fielders. The last one is the main reason for his re-selection, which is a joke as his fielding nothing special. Better then most in the team but not worth his recall.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Tom Moody the one that wanted Arnold back in the side for the World Cup. He rates him as a multi-skilled type players. He can bat, bowl and is rated as one of our better fielders. The last one is the main reason for his re-selection, which is a joke as his fielding nothing special. Better then most in the team but not worth his recall.
    Moody pushed hard to get back Arnold...for all the reasons you mentioned....plus his good record in the Windies (incl as A-team captain last year).

Also, Arnold comes from St Peters College in Colombo...the alma mater of one of the selectors (Amal Silva)...this has been a huge factor in bringing back and retaining Arnold (Silva is the sole selector on tour, at the cup). Ranjith Fdo also comes from this same school - explains the background to the regular comments that we have to put with re Arnold from Ranjith.

Quote Originally Posted by shehanwije View Post
    Moody pushed hard to get back Arnold...for all the reasons you mentioned....plus his good record in the Windies (incl as A-team captain last year).

Also, Arnold comes from St Peters College in Colombo...the alma mater of one of the selectors (Amal Silva)...this has been a huge factor in bringing back and retaining Arnold (Silva is the sole selector on tour, at the cup). Ranjith Fdo also comes from this same school - explains the background to the regular comments that we have to put with re Arnold from Ranjith.
    That explains quite a few things I had suspected. ( Although I thought Arnold was from St.Joseph's rather than a Peterite)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I seriously dislike the anti-Arnold sentiments that are expressed by some people on these forums and i Sri Lanka. The guy is a decent cricket who has been repeatedly slagged off for unfair reasons.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    I seriously dislike the anti-Arnold sentiments that are expressed by some people on these forums and i Sri Lanka. The guy is a decent cricket who has been repeatedly slagged off for unfair reasons.
    There is no doubt thet guys is good cricketer, but he hardly wins you matches anymore. These days his just solid nothing more, nothing less.

There is no doubt thet guys is good cricketer, but he hardly wins you matches anymore. These days his just solid nothing more, nothing less.
    In a team of potential matchwinners, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

In a team of potential matchwinners, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Maybe, but personally would rather have another match winner myself in Kapugedura.

Maybe, but personally would rather have another match winner myself in Kapugedura.
    I'm a big fan of Chamara Kapugedera, he has a big future ahead of him for Sri Lanka but at this moment in time I think Russel Arnold is quite clearly the better option. He provides stability to the middle and lower order and that is something that is needed when you have strokemakers like Tharanga, Jayasuriya, Sangakarra, Jayawardene and Silva in your lineup. Arnold and Dilshan, to me are two vital cogs in the Sri Lankan team.

I'm a big fan of Chamara Kapugedera, he has a big future ahead of him for Sri Lanka but at this moment in time I think Russel Arnold is quite clearly the better option. He provides stability to the middle and lower order and that is something that is needed when you have strokemakers like Tharanga, Jayasuriya, Sangakarra, Jayawardene and Silva in your lineup. Arnold and Dilshan, to me are two vital cogs in the Sri Lankan team.
    They would be if they could score more runs...

They would be if they could score more runs...
    Compared to their skipper they are doing just fine. They should be expecting more runs from Jayawardene and Tharanga, the only times Arnold and Dilshan should be scoring big runs are when they are saving Sri Lanka's bacon.

Compared to their skipper they are doing just fine. They should be expecting more runs from Jayawardene and Tharanga, the only times Arnold and Dilshan should be scoring big runs are when they are saving Sri Lanka's bacon.
    Not really they should be scoring runs to finish off innings, which they haven't done at all. We basically lose 20 to 40 runs in the last ten over cus of them. As much Arnold once of a pretty good cricketer, his really no longer good enough to keep his spot. Dilshan keeps his spot due to fielding and bowlings, these days when he scores runs its a bonus.

Not really they should be scoring runs to finish off innings, which they haven't done at all. We basically lose 20 to 40 runs in the last ten over cus of them. As much Arnold once of a pretty good cricketer, his really no longer good enough to keep his spot. Dilshan keeps his spot due to fielding and bowlings, these days when he scores runs its a bonus.
    They should be scoring maybe 20 runs at the end of the innings if the top order do their job properly, I'm not expecting them to be like Michael Hussey and consistently score 30-40 runs off 25 balls.

Arnold's 20 off 20 was perhaps one of the deciding factors in Sri Lanka's victory over England, while his 97 run partnership with Dilshan almost got Sri Lanka up to a defendable score against South Africa.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information