• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
They also switched him to Taufel's end...or at least, seemed to.

I'm going camping this weekend. How STUPID am I?! Gutted to miss the final :(

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quote:

However all these strategic moves made by a top cricketing nation in a very serious tournament has been misconstrued by some. For instance the brother of the failed Indian Cricket coach Greg Chappell – Ian, has gone to the extent of calling this move made by Sri Lanka a type a match fixing and the ICC intervention on the matter. Following him was another apologist who loves to play fiddle with the white man – former West Indian fast bowler Michael Holding. He said – “Sri Lanka`s decision to rest two key players for their Super Eights clash against Australia had opened the game to further corruption.

Finally when the Lion roars the animals in the jungle knows it is a warning of another victim to fall. Right now on the Lions trail there are remains of Tigers, Kiwis, Invading White masters and disgruntled neighbours. However as the fable goes there is a lesson that the Kangaroo must learn. The lion never kills when it is not hungry

That's an appalling comment frankly, and doesn't deserve to see the light of day. For my part, I have no probem with SL resting as many players as they like - it's their call and as I have said elsewhere, it's about winning the whole thing.

But to use a racial overtone against someone who has a contrary opinion to this view is nothing short of disgraceful. Who does this muppet think he is? Holding and Ian Chappell are both respected former players and current commentators who are fully entitled to their views.

The playing of the race card really is not on. Disagree all you like, but if a white bloke wrote that about a black player/ commentator there would be hell to pay - and rightly so.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
That's an appalling comment frankly, and doesn't deserve to see the light of day. For my part, I have no probem with SL resting as many players as they like - it's their call and as I have said elsewhere, it's about winning the whole thing.

But to use a racial overtone against someone who has a contrary opinion to this view is nothing short of disgraceful. Who does this muppet think he is? Holding and Ian Chappell are both respected former players and current commentators who are fully entitled to their views.

The playing of the race card really is not on. Disagree all you like, but if a white bloke wrote that about a black player/ commentator there would be hell to pay - and rightly so.
Agreed. Completely devalues the whole article.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Quote:

However all these strategic moves made by a top cricketing nation in a very serious tournament has been misconstrued by some. For instance the brother of the failed Indian Cricket coach Greg Chappell – Ian, has gone to the extent of calling this move made by Sri Lanka a type a match fixing and the ICC intervention on the matter. Following him was another apologist who loves to play fiddle with the white man – former West Indian fast bowler Michael Holding. He said – “Sri Lanka`s decision to rest two key players for their Super Eights clash against Australia had opened the game to further corruption.

Finally when the Lion roars the animals in the jungle knows it is a warning of another victim to fall. Right now on the Lions trail there are remains of Tigers, Kiwis, Invading White masters and disgruntled neighbours. However as the fable goes there is a lesson that the Kangaroo must learn. The lion never kills when it is not hungry

Quite appalling. Especially the part about Holding is what makes the guy look like a complete idiot.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka making the Final has been the only good thing about this World Cup. Otherwise, it's been all sackings, resignations, great players being forced into early retirements, captains stepping down, the death of a coach (the truth of which we may never know), all because the media think EVERY team should make the semis and EVERY team ought to make the final, despite the fact that EVERY team goes home unhappy bar one.

Anyway, my wife actually works for a Sri Lankan embassy and they're trying to organise a party for tomorrow night, so good luck Sri Lanka! I admire your team spirit.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Sri Lanka making the Final has been the only good thing about this World Cup. Otherwise, it's been all sackings, resignations, great players being forced into early retirements, captains stepping down, the death of a coach (the truth of which we may never know), all because the media think EVERY team should make the semis and EVERY team ought to make the final, despite the fact that EVERY team goes home unhappy bar one.

Anyway, my wife actually works for a Sri Lankan embassy and they're trying to organise a party for tomorrow night, so good luck Sri Lanka! I admire your team spirit.
Only good thing:blink:

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Only good thing:blink:
Yeah I think he's exaggerating a bit. There was Sri Lanka beating India, heading the table after the group stages, thrashing New Zealand twice etc. So lots of good things happened in this tournament.

Joking :laugh: Seriously though you had the whole minnow power thing going. Bangladesh and Ireland making their mark. England not making their mark. The other asian teams getting a wake up call. Stuff like that.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Quote:

Agree completely... As I had said in previous post on this article, Sri Lanka unfortunately has more that its fair share of Rubbish idiot journos who rant and rabble and write essays and essays of trash and dumbwitted journalism.... really they annoy me because they fill pages and destroy forests for these idiot's rubbish..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree completely... As I had said in previous post on this article, Sri Lanka unfortunately has more that its fair share of Rubbish idiot journos who rant and rabble and write essays and essays of trash and dumbwitted journalism.... really they annoy me because they fill pages and destroy forests for these idiot's rubbish..
Yeah, I don't think any one country has a mortgage on them, tbh.

Anyways guys, wish you a good evening of watching tonight, but I can't honestly wish you all too much luck. Cheers.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
How Lankans Down Under celebrated WC final

The Nation spoke to several Sri Lankans residing in Australia to see how they geared up to enjoy the cricket fiesta.

Asanka Gurusinha is not a stranger to Sri Lanka. Especially those who glued themselves to the TV sets, back in 1996, know the role he played in winning the cup of glory for this island nation. There was a stronger batting line-up back then, but the bowling side is pretty strong this time. Our bowling attack had been instrumental in winning the game for us during the whole tournament,” Gurusinha said with conviction.

http://www.nation.lk/2007/04/29/sports2.htm

pasag

RTDAS
The Nation spoke to several Sri Lankans residing in Australia to see how they geared up to enjoy the cricket fiesta.

Asanka Gurusinha is not a stranger to Sri Lanka. Especially those who glued themselves to the TV sets, back in 1996, know the role he played in winning the cup of glory for this island nation. There was a stronger batting line-up back then, but the bowling side is pretty strong this time. Our bowling attack had been instrumental in winning the game for us during the whole tournament,” Gurusinha said with conviction.

http://www.nation.lk/2007/04/29/sports2.htm
Is that you?

pasag

RTDAS
That picture was taken in Sri Lanka and shehanwije lives in Sydney...

Shehan Wijethilake in Sydney Australia was of the view that although Australians were clear favourites, Sri Lanka was the next best. “There is a lot of respect for the Sri Lanka team among Australian players and the people. They are not underestimating our team,” he said.
He also said there was a backlash in Australia against their team. “The behaviour displayed by the team- mates is not endorsed by the public. There are a lot of negative sentiments towards the team,” he added.
He commented that although there was a lot of criticism levelled at the Sri Lanka team for not playing their best talent at their last encounter with the Aussies, this seemed to be a strategic move to get the opposing batsmen to get caught-up in the bowling fire-power of the Lankans."