Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sri Lanka Thread

Vaas got 2 early breaks in both of those games.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Malinga might miss the NZ vs. SL game due to an ankle trouble nothing serious it seems just a precautionary step. Saw it in some parts of the SL media, nothing yet on cricinfo though.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Its on cricinfo now. Hope he recovers soon, but at the same time I hope they don't rush him in there.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Looks like Malinga is out till the Semifinals at least , that is if SL make it.

England have a very good chance to Pip SL at the post and get ahead if they beat West Indies, Bang and SA handsomely as do Bangladesh.

I hope SL pick Maharoof to replace Malinga and not Kulasekera.

I wonder if the SL selectors will take a punt and pick Bandara over Maharoof ?

Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    I wonder if the SL selectors will take a punt and pick Bandara over Maharoof ?
    I don't think they need to, unless the pitch is really low and slow. I think it can't hurt having another seem option in addition to Vaas and Fernando, and with Murali, Sanath, Dilshan and even Silva SL is pretty strong in the spin department...
    They only get two there, as Astle turned blind....

Mark Richardson - The worst thing to happen to NZ cricket since 26 all out

Quote Originally Posted by el grapadura View Post
    I don't think they need to, unless the pitch is really low and slow. I think it can't hurt having another seem option in addition to Vaas and Fernando, and with Murali, Sanath, Dilshan and even Silva SL is pretty strong in the spin department...
    I agree. This could be a blessing in disguise -- I reckon SL will need the hitting of Maharoof in the final overs, given how the last few matches have gone.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    The hitting of Maharoof is somewhat over rated, he has to get bat onto bowl for it to be effective.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    The hitting of Maharoof is somewhat over rated, he has to get bat onto bowl for it to be effective.
    his hitting is probably overrated, but it is a 100x better than the other options we have.

Ive only seen highlights of the game, but from what i saw looks like Maharoof was getting smashed around the park......

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    It's not that overrated IMO, he has added impetous at the bottom of the Sri Lankan order on quite a few occasions and can clear the ropes quite easily, especially in the 'v' straight down the ground. His numbers don't really reflect his ability to hit the ball out of the park, but his hitting should be valued by the Sri Lankan side because they don't really have anyone else.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    It's not that overrated IMO, he has added impetous at the bottom of the Sri Lankan order on quite a few occasions and can clear the ropes quite easily, especially in the 'v' straight down the ground. His numbers don't really reflect his ability to hit the ball out of the park, but his hitting should be valued by the Sri Lankan side because they don't really have anyone else.
    There is no doubts that if he gets going he could smack any bowler out of the park. But the issue comes with his consistency, more often then not he'll just play a stupid shot and get out. I just don't think his consistant enough with the bat to pick him on his batting/hitting ability. Bandara probably got as much chance to smack a bowling attack around the park in the last couple overs really.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Bandara probably got as much chance to smack a bowling attack around the park in the last couple overs really.
    As much as I like Bandara, spin is really not what SL needs at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    He may hit the ball a long way, but he doesn't hit the ball very often, so it's a moot point really. Out for 6 off 2 balls isn't tremendously useful.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    There is no doubts that if he gets going he could smack any bowler out of the park. But the issue comes with his consistency, more often then not he'll just play a stupid shot and get out. I just don't think his consistant enough with the bat to pick him on his batting/hitting ability. Bandara probably got as much chance to smack a bowling attack around the park in the last couple overs really.
    I would still have Maharoof as a superior option to Bandara, especially since Jayasuriya is bowling well in this tournament the need for the third spinner isn't really necessary. To be fair, I don't expect a lot from Maharoof down the order so I'm not terribly disappointed when he fails or holes out to a stupid shot. If he does get himself organised and cuts down on those soft dismissals then he'll be a good #8 in the future.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information