Cricket Player Manager
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sri Lanka Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    SL weakness was always going to be there lower order batting, and as much as i would like for Maharoof to replace Arnold, the way that the team is playing i dont think there are going to be anymore changes to the playing XI. We will only go as far as our bowling can carry us in this tournament. Slightly worried that we havnt chased yet.

The most worrying factor in this tournament is that Ranjith Fernando is now "the voice of Sri lankan Cricket" This guy manages to get in the commetary box at the most interesting times, and continues to butcher everything he talks about.

Good idea for a drinking game though everytime he says "it would seems as...". Would lose half my liver by the lunch break.
    Agree with you about Ranjith Fernando ...

the classic one was the last ball from Dilhara to Bopara ...and Ranjith said " goodness he has hit it for 4 or ...(something similar and then retracted with ) or no he's bowled him"

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    Jason,

Sri Lankan top order isn't fragile. They were 160/2 after 35 overs, the only problem being the rate at which Tharanga was scoring. Even in my wildest dreams, I can't concieve of Attapatu scoring at a faster clip than Tharanga. In summation, I think you are speaking total tosh.

Sri Lanka's problem is the lack of fire power in the lower-middle order. The likes of Dilshan and Silva aren't going to get you over eighty in the last ten regularly.
    I haven't suggested Atapattu should come in place of Tharanga. I want Atapattu at 3 when an early wicket falls (as Sanath J has been in every second game) to come in and play the long innings, holding one end which allows the other batsman a chance to go after the bowling and make maximum use of Power Play. SL in games v SA and England have failed to use the Power Plays fully (when usually in the past they would have got to a run rate of 6 or 7 during Powerplays which then makes it easy during the Middle overs to keep run rate going at 5- 6 ) and struggled at 3-4 run rate and made it a real hard graft through the Middle overs and an even bigger struggle to get over 240 in the last 10 overs.

Scores of 240 -250 (or less) against NZ and Australia will mean they would lose big against these 2 teams.

Silva and Dilshan can get 70 plus in the last 10 if there's already a platform to launch - say 190- 200 already and not 160 -170 or less with 5 down already and only Vaas and Arnold left .

I still fail to see the logic behind Atapattu coming into the side to play an anchor role at first drop resulting in better use of the powerplays - of all things!

Atapattu striking at 55 doesn't automatically mean other batsmen are less likely to get out, or that they'll automatically start scoring run-a-ball 70s.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I still fail to see the logic behind Atapattu coming into the side to play an anchor role at first drop resulting in better use of the powerplays - of all things!

Atapattu striking at 55 doesn't automatically mean other batsmen are less likely to get out, or that they'll automatically start scoring run-a-ball 70s.
    Atapattu strike rate 67 (not 55 ) average 37 . 11 ODI hundreds and 59 fifties... the guy can win matches ... And the high average is an indication of his consistency and ability to play longer innings. ( 8,500 plus runs in ODIs - please see Stats presented in Super 8 thread)

Atapattu most of his innings (or at least 80 percent of his innings as opener)

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/srila...yer/48124.html

compare with Arnold (whose innings have always been at numbers 5,6,7.
    http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/srila...yer/48122.html
    Last edited by JASON; 05-04-2007 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    Atapattu strike rate 67 (not 55 ) average 37 . 11 ODI hundreds and 59 fifties... the guy can win matches ... And the high average is an indication of his consistency and ability to play longer innings. ( 8,500 plus runs in ODIs - please see Stats presented in Super 8 thread)
    Ahh, yeah. I never denied any of that. I denied the logic behind playing him to make better use of the PowerPlay overs. It doesn't make any sense to me. As I said, him playing an anchor role doesn't make the other batsmen any less likely to get out, or automatically make them score more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Ahh, yeah. I never denied any of that. I denied the logic behind playing him to make better use of the PowerPlay overs. It doesn't make any sense to me. As I said, him playing an anchor role doesn't make the other batsmen any less likely to get out, or automatically make them score more quickly.
    No , but it would give them an opportunity to attack the bowling during power plays taking some chances , knowing that Atapattu could be relied on to play the long innings at the other end.

Because the batting order would then look like

Sanath J
    Tharanga
    Atapattu
    Sangakkara
    Mahela
    Chamara Silva
    Dilshan
    Vaas

No , but it would give them an opportunity to attack the bowling during power plays taking some chances , knowing that Atapattu could be relied on to play the long innings at the other end.
    But the very fact that Atapattu was there would cancel that out anyway. Plus, there's the fact that Atapattu doesn't score a ton every single time - there's every chance he could get out himself for a famous 12(40) effort.

Atapattu at 3 would have its advantages, but taking advantage of PowerPlay overs is definitely not one of them!

Can't see Attapatu breaking into the current side unless there is an injury or someone losses form, Sri lankans would more or less like to have the same XI through the WC, but frankly speaking Attapatu can only come into team at expense of Silva [if he doesn't perform].

Arnold is their finisher so they won't really drop him for an anchor-man like Attapatu [IMO], which can disturb the whole combination and balance of the side.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Oh, and Sanga needs to get some runs under his belt - quick.
    He's been cracking behind the stumps though. Not really too concerned with his batting at this point as I'm pretty sure he'll come good.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

After the performance in the last match drop Vaas for Maharoof?

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    After the performance in the last match drop Vaas for Maharoof?
    That would be the most disastrous thing SL can do. Vaas is our number 1 bowler , despite his performance v England...to drop him would be like killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    The suggests sp was being just a tad on the ironic side, dude...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The suggests sp was being just a tad on the ironic side, dude...
    Two more matches like the last one and I might be serious though.

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    Two more matches like the last one and I might be serious though.
    Its almost unthinkable that a SL team in a key match not playing Vaas.

Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    Its almost unthinkable that a SL team in a key match not playing Vaas.
    If SL want to win in the semis/final they need more runs and don't need expensive bowlers. Consider SL's score in the last match, and also consider that Vaas didn't help on either fronts. I'm not suggesting that Vaas won't do well in the next two matches, but I am suggesting a course of action if SL continue to struggle getting satisfactory totals and Vaas continues to struggle with the ball.
    Last edited by shortpitched713; 07-04-2007 at 02:15 AM. Reason: rogue apostrophe

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information