Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Sri Lanka Thread

^^

Nice well-written post dude.

Anyway, I have to concur with some of the opinions here in that experimentation in the match against England is not the place to do it. I am well aware that SL look the better side, but in an ODI comp (as everyone knows) on the day anything can happen. Let us hope that SL does not have the hubris to tempt fate by not playing their best XI.

At this stage I would presume that XI would include Upul who despite having a poor run of late has done well against England in the past (however, I can also see a case for re-uniting the old firm of Sanath and Marvan at the top of the order and if that goes well then giving this pair an extended run at the top of the order). I do not think though, and here I have to disagree with Jason (as much as I usually respect his opinion) that Arnold should be dropped in place of Marvan. Arnold has done well with the bat when he has been asked to do so - both times against good opposition, he bats well with Dilshan, his bowling is an option, and he does well in the field. Therefore he should stay in.

In the same vein I do not think that Murali should be out in place of Bandara. The match against England is too important to rest Murali, and if any subbing is to happen, the best place to do it (albeit not wholesale) would be in the game against Ireland. Dilhara has, furthermore, been bowling quite well and though his batting is not in the same league as Maharoof - I think his bowling potency offsets the inconsistent batting of Maharoof.

Therefore my preferred XI against England (which I see as another must win because I think the chances of SL beating Aus and NZ are quite low) is:

1. Marvan/Upul
    2. Sanath
    3. Sanga
    4. Mahala
    5. Chamara
    6. Dilshan
    7. Russel
    8. Chaminda
    9. Dilhara
    10. Malinga
    11. Murali

Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    ^^

Therefore my preferred XI against England (which I see as another must win because I think the chances of SL beating Aus and NZ are quite low) is:

1. Marvan/Upul
    2. Sanath
    3. Sanga
    4. Mahala
    5. Chamara
    6. Dilshan
    7. Russel
    8. Chaminda
    9. Dilhara
    10. Malinga
    11. Murali
    Why? Sri Lanka gave New Zealand a good fight away from home just recently and given New Zealand do not play either Murali or real pace bowling that ‘well’, Sri Lanka will start as favourites for mine. Especially given the conditions we have seen thus far.

Except that NZ are playing far better now than when SL toured.

The bowlers are firing better, Bond has stepped up significantly and I think will ask questions of the SL top order. The batting, meanwhile, is more cohesive and I think will be less likely to bow to Murali - Fleming for instance has always done well against Murali.

I also think the NZ is more cohesive and less fragile. The SL team is strong, dont get me wrong, but I think there is a fragility about them that the BC are lacking.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Galactic_Soap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001
    Except that NZ are playing far better now than when SL toured.
    I have to agree, with performance in any major tournament being as much about momentum as it is about skill, one would have to think that the self belief and momentum generated from the Chaple Hadlee series is priceless given the way the black caps are going about their work of late.

The bowlers are firing better, Bond has stepped up significantly and I think will ask questions of the SL top order. The batting, meanwhile, is more cohesive and I think will be less likely to bow to Murali - Fleming for instance has always done well against Murali.
    Again, spot on. I feel that Bond will pose some serious questions to the Sri Lankan top order, a rampaging Sanath is all well and good, but I can't help but feel that Bond moving the ball at pace will be a touch too much for our players to handle.

While Mahela's back in abit of form, I still feel he's offside play isn't as tight and compact as it should be, if we were to loose one of our openers early, I feel Mahela wouldn't be too far behind them when coming up against Bond in the form he's in of late. Another argument for Marvins inclusion would be the way he plays against quality pace bowling, given his technique I feel he would be the best defence we could put up against Bond at the moment.

I also think the NZ is more cohesive and less fragile. The SL team is strong, don’t get me wrong, but I think there is a fragility about them that the BC are lacking.
    I agree, the Black Caps aren't going to let their last 4 wickets go for 1 one run regardless of the situation they find themselves in. That to me is the final bit of growth and development we need to achieve to be truly competitive. Smart cricket intelligent cricket needs to go right through the team, where nearly there, I feel the Black Caps have a better grasp of it though...

Either way its going to be an absolute cracker of a game...
    Member of the Alan Donald Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post

I'll back Maharoof even though most people don't rate him. He can do a containing job and can score some vital runs down the order. For the other spot i personally rather then give Bandara the 4th bowler spot, but that unlikely, so i hope Ruchira can find some fitness and produce the form he should in Australia. If not i'll give Zoysa another run, for me Dilhara is a waste of space, nothing more, nothing less.

Your thoughts?
    I selected Maharoof in my fantasy team in the world cup. He seems to have been overlooked for the last game against WI for fernando. Anyone know why? Is he injured or just out of favour? Why can't they just settle on a team already!

I think I've been taking this competition a bit too seriously -- I even dreamt about it last night!

Bond was ripping through the SL top order, and we were something like 40/5. Then Bond came back for a second spell and ripped a few more out

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    What are the chances of Sri Lanka advancing if they beat England but lose to New Zealand? JASON was making it seem next to zero, but I feel it is quite probable that that is what will happen.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    What are the chances of Sri Lanka advancing if they beat England but lose to New Zealand? JASON was making it seem next to zero, but I feel it is quite probable that that is what will happen.
    If SL beat England and lose to NZ (and given they are not likely to beat Australia as well) they would end with 3 losses and 4 wins giving them 8 points. It is possible in that situation SL will be competing for the 4th spot with West Indies (who may win their remaining three) and England.... But IF SL beat England tomorrow (my time) SL will probably go through -having beaten the 2 teams (England and WI ) but if by some chance 4 teams end up on same points it goes to run rates and who knows what... So it will be touch and go ... Especially if by this calculation (WI have to beat SA then SA will very likely also end up on 8 points -as then you would expect NZ to beat them too...)

Fairly difficult to predict ... but the you rely on other Teams losing or getting lower run rates and the hand of God...

I agree with JBH above with regard to NZ s form... When SL drew 2-2 Fleming was struggling to find form, Bracewell was experimenting, and various players (Astle/James Marshall, Andre Adams etc.. came and went ...)

They are totally different side today. Fleming is in fine form again, Their bowling atack is arguably the most complete attack in this World Cup (Bond/Oram/Styris/ Vettori +/- Mason ) and they are coming after recently drubbing Australia 3-0 ....

True they have been weakened slightly by Vincent's loss, but they are giant killers ATM and IMO the only side that can beat even the Aussies... SO SL , IMO will struggle to beat them (and Australia).

If anything today's game only proved my point with regard to fragility of Sri Lanka's top order and the poor contribution by the lower order during the slog overs 40 to 50.

SL need Atapattu badly IMO at 3 to strengthen the top of the order , as SL have now made it a habit of losing ealy wickets and get clogged and resultantly fail to capitalise on scoring during the Power Plays. This will only become very notable when they play Australia and NZ whose bowlers are capable of destroying the top order quite easily.

Playing Atapattu also means Chamara Silva and Dilshan will be coming in after overs 40 and help beef up the scoring in this period (overs 40-50).

Unlike England and South Africa , SL's low 200 scores will definitely not trouble NZ and Australia . SL selectors need to wake up to this fact sooner rather than later , because SL need to win one of those 2 games to be certain of making the Semis.

Jason,

Sri Lankan top order isn't fragile. They were 160/2 after 35 overs, the only problem being the rate at which Tharanga was scoring. Even in my wildest dreams, I can't concieve of Attapatu scoring at a faster clip than Tharanga. In summation, I think you are speaking total tosh.

Sri Lanka's problem is the lack of fire power in the lower-middle order. The likes of Dilshan and Silva aren't going to get you over eighty in the last ten regularly.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    That's why Maharoof's inclusion is so preferable, TBH - but can't see him getting another game now barring injury.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That's why Maharoof's inclusion is so preferable, TBH - but can't see him getting another game now barring injury.
    Dilhara's bowling well enough to keep his place, but we really need some slogging down the order.

I'd suggest dropping Arnold, but he's not done anything wrong...and he's a very useful player to have around in case SL end up 50/4. Same with Dilshan.

SL weakness was always going to be there lower order batting, and as much as i would like for Maharoof to replace Arnold, the way that the team is playing i dont think there are going to be anymore changes to the playing XI. We will only go as far as our bowling can carry us in this tournament. Slightly worried that we havnt chased yet.

The most worrying factor in this tournament is that Ranjith Fernando is now "the voice of Sri lankan Cricket" This guy manages to get in the commetary box at the most interesting times, and continues to butcher everything he talks about.

Good idea for a drinking game though everytime he says "it would seems as...". Would lose half my liver by the lunch break.
    Last edited by Lostman; 05-04-2007 at 09:12 AM.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Ahahaha! Yes, Ranjit is not the best - but tbh, I really dont mind him. Quality commentary on the TV is a pretty rare beast anyways.

I have to agree with some of the comments about the SL side. It is, more or less, a settled side and I have to disagree with Jason's continued push for Marvan. I do not see who you could drop - Arnold has done nothing wrong and scored 2 50s in difficult circumstances. Chamara and Dilshan (though not smashers) are quick between wickets and in the field. Dilhara's bowling makes up for Maharoof's inconsistent batting. Basically what needs to happen is for a member of the top and middle order to be there at the end to partner the lower order during orders 40 - 50. That is the only way I can see SL getting enough runs. A settled top/middle order bat at the crease during the slog overs and a decent effort from the lower order.

(Oh, and Sanga needs to get some runs under his belt - quick. Glad Mahela has found some form at last, though. Go Sri Lanka!)
    Last edited by JBH001; 05-04-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information