• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The decline of Australia after the 2007 world cup

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Every team has its peak time and its downfall. I personally think that Australian cricket will decline after the 2007 word cup since most of their senior players will most probably retire. When looking at the current bowling attack it doesn’t look the greatest too. What are your thoughts ???

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well yea it will decline, but not as low as West Indies. But Australia have some good young talent coming through, so even if some other side becomes thebest in the world i would still expect australia to be one of the more competitive sides around.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
aussie said:
well yea it will decline, but not as low as West Indies. But Australia have some good young talent coming through, so even if some other side becomes thebest in the world i would still expect australia to be one of the more competitive sides around.

yes definitely....but they wont be the best team in the world like they are right now...

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
nookie_lk said:
yes definitely....but they wont be the best team in the world like they are right now...
Hey Nookie...enjoy that Avatar while you've got it. I had mine deleted by the moderator for being inappropriate.

As I said to the moderator........how can anybody think a photo of a bowler who many believe is the greatest be inappropriate?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The basic fact of the matter is we will (or should) lose plenty of good players from ODIs after WC2007...
Gilchrist, McGrath, Martyn, Hayden if he makes it back to the squad, Gillespie if he makes it back to the squad, Ganguly if he makes it back to the squad, Dravid, Tendulkar, Astle, Fleming, Harris (there really is genuine hope that he might make it back to the squad), Bond, Inzamam-Ul-Haq, Mohammad Yousuf, Shoaib Akhtar, Gibbs, Pollock, Jayasuriya, Murali, Atapattu, Vaas, Lara, Chanderpaul and Dillon if he gets back into the squad.
Whereas after WC2003 the losses were smaller: Knight, Caddick, Stewart, Hussain, Srinath, Saeed Anwar, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Donald, Rhodes, Kirsten, Tillikeratne, de Silva, Hooper, Campbell, Andy Flower, Guy Whittall. Though there were players who we've lost in the meantime... Bevan, Lehmann, Grant Flower, Jacobs, Klusener, Cairns, and with hindsight it'd have been much better for their teams if they'd retired after the Cup. Although Bevan's being dropped was stupid.
But yeah... WC2007 should be a watershed, and obviously there'll always be World Cups in the future where loads of good players retire simualtaneously. Or certainly there should be.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's why I am really looking forward to the 2007 WC. It'll be the ODI swan song (or at the least last WC) for many great players. A must see event.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... the last WC should be the ODI swansong, it's stupid to carry on playing ODIs if you're not going to be around for the next World Cup.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not always IMO. For eg., Tendulkar will in all likelihood not make the next WC in 2011, however following WC 2007 I believe India come down to Australia. I see no reason why he shouldn't try and end his ODI career with a series win down under. Particularly if his team still needs him.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
nookie_lk said:
Every team has its peak time and its downfall. I personally think that Australian cricket will decline after the 2007 word cup since most of their senior players will most probably retire. When looking at the current bowling attack it doesn’t look the greatest too. What are your thoughts ???
McGrath, Warne and Gilchrist are 3 of the greatest ever players and obviously cant be replaced easily.

However, the future for Aus looks sound and all that is required is experience.

Will they be as dominant? Probably not.

BTW, the same question could be asked of India. How will their batting lineup look in the next few years without Dravid, Laxman and Tendulkar?

How will SL's attack look without Vaas and Murali?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Not always IMO. For eg., Tendulkar will in all likelihood not make the next WC in 2011, however following WC 2007 I believe India come down to Australia. I see no reason why he shouldn't try and end his ODI career with a series win down under. Particularly if his team still needs him.
So India should waste a good chance to start the preparation for WC2011 immidiately?
Tendulkar will have a perfectly decent chance in the Test-series (I certainly hope it won't be the last Test-series he plays), why does he need to play ODIs for which there will be no real purpose in him playing?
All ODIs played needlessly are likely to be a drain on the length of a Test-career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ Yes but its less interesting because India and SL have never dominated the cricketing world like Australia has. In fact, they've never even come close.

So if they fall off the pace, they'll go from a good to very good team to one that is not as good. Australia may go from a completely and unbelievably awesome team to one that is 'just in the pack' of the other top teams.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
McGrath, Warne and Gilchrist are 3 of the greatest ever players and obviously cant be replaced easily.

However, the future for Aus looks sound and all that is required is experience.

Will they be as dominant? Probably not.

BTW, the same question could be asked of India. How will their batting lineup look in the next few years without Dravid, Laxman and Tendulkar?

How will SL's attack look without Vaas and Murali?
Laxman is such a wonderful ODI player... Warne has been playing ODIs for the last 3 years, hasn't he?
.......???????????

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard said:
So India should waste a good chance to start the preparation for WC2011 immidiately?
Tendulkar will have a perfectly decent chance in the Test-series (I certainly hope it won't be the last Test-series he plays), why does he need to play ODIs for which there will be no real purpose in him playing?
All ODIs played needlessly are likely to be a drain on the length of a Test-career.
I guess to me, and many other fans (and I reckon the Indian camp as well, and Sachin personally) an ODI series win against Australia (and the other tri-series team) in Australia would be a huge achievement. As much as a test series? No not even close, but it'd still be great for him.

Just seeing the delight they get from winning in Pakistan (which they've already done in 2004) I think a win in Aus would be good, even if it is only ODIs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe so; I'm not Indian so I don't know, but surely it's pittance compared to winning a World Cup? Indeed, surely it'd be near worthless.
(Yes, I know, there's no gurantee they'll win WC2007, but obviously that's the point of playing)
The point, I suppose, is that I, an Englishmen, get little joy from any ODI series victory - I'd be delighted if England lost every single ODI if it meant they learnt that certain players were not good enough and as a result built-up a good World Cup squad and then did well in the tournament.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah true, maybe the decision would lie on whether India win (or at the least do well) in the WC.

I mean it'd be awfully tempting to hang up the ODI boots after so many years if Sachin was part of a WC win. Time will tell I guess.

adharcric

International Coach
I personally think India and Pakistan will rise to the top after the 07 World Cup. These two nations undoubtedly have loads of talent and now we're seeing it being utilized better. Pakistan has some young stars, jamshed ahmed, anwar ali, mansoor amjad to add on to kamran akmal and mohammad asif. India has yuvraj, raina, dhoni, chawla, vrv, munaf and a plethora of young talents. 2007 will be India vs Australia again I think, but after that Australia will go down a little.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Richard said:
I think the better statement to make in the subcontinent is:

All Tests played needlessly are likely to be a drain on the length of an ODI career.

Who knows, if he limits himself to ODI's...he might make the 2011 cup. He will be 33 when WC starts, so he will be 37 in 2011. Probably, thats too old but its happened before (Lara will be 37 in 2007, for example).

In India, a single ODI makes more money and garners more support than a five day test match. In twenty years, I fear tests will be pretty much dead in India. An unfortunate occurance, but I am not sure what can be done about it...unless we get some really good Ashes style contests going to galvanize support.

Last edited: