• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The decline of Australia after the 2007 world cup

pup11

International Coach
Here we go again!! Just before the WC everyone was saying the Aussies are finished and they would be squashed at the WC, but since everybody can see thats not the case then now its being said they would decline after the WC 07.

I just have a simple question, are only Aussie players on the verge of retirement , i mean big players from other teams are also gonna retire soon.

So that pretty much balances the equation IMO.

pup11

International Coach
Aussies have decent replacements for the retiring players, but look at the other teams they don't even have any plans in regard of having a good bench-strength, once guys like Inzi, Sachin,Lara,Vass,Murali,Pollock,Ganguly,Jayasuriya,Fleming all retire who are gonna come in for them in their respective sides.

IMO, A new era is about to begin for almost every side after WC where a new generation of players would evolve in every side.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aussies have decent replacements for the retiring players, but look at the other teams they don't even have any plans in regard of having a good bench-strength, once guys like Inzi, Sachin,Lara,Vass,Murali,Pollock,Ganguly,Jayasuriya,Fleming all retire who are gonna come in for them in their respective sides.

IMO, A new era is about to begin for almost every side after WC where a new generation of players would evolve in every side.
This is correct. But Australia will never replace Warne and Gilchrist:cry:
That's coming from an Aussie, also.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming won't retire after the World Cup...unless we win it maybe. He still has a few goals to achieve like increasing the amount of centuries he has scored and maybe winning some more test series as captain.

Bond has come so far, I doubt he'll throw in the towel just yet either. I read an interview that he's desperate to play a test match at Lords and NZ play there in 2008 so that's not too far away.

Only Chris Harris is likely to retire anytime soon, but I don't think he'll get the chance to retire at international level...if he didn't make the World Cup this time, his chances are long gone. But true to form, Harris reckons he'll be playing for another 4 years yet..he just seems to keep going and going.

pup11

International Coach
Of course the likes of Gilly and Warney or even Pidge can't be replaced because they are great players, and if great players could have been so easily replaced then nobody would call them great.

But Aussies have decent enough blokes to come in for them, they are no way as good as these great players but still they are good enough to perform (not as well as Warney,Pidge or Gilly) at this level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course the likes of Gilly and Warney or even Pidge can't be replaced because they are great players, and if great players could have been so easily replaced then nobody would call them great.

But Aussies have decent enough blokes to come in for them, they are no way as good as these great players but still they are good enough to perform (not as well as Warney,Pidge or Gilly) at this level.
That's the simplistic way of looking at it, yeah.