Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Building Indian team for the 2007 world cup

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Kaif is still a good fielder and is being said of as a future captain of India.
    That's a bit of an overstatement for a player who has trouble keeping his place in the playing XI, don't you think?

Most likely Sehwag will succeed Dravid as captain. I would like captain with a better 'cricketing brain' than Sehwag, but I am not sure who else in the Indian team would qualify.

Certainly, SRT has the brain but his age is almost as much as Dravid, and they will likely retire soon after one-another.

So after that, my money is on Sehwag. There is virtually no one else with a set place in the XI that's would even be considered.

But this discussion is a couple years away, so maybe someone will come out of nowhere.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    FWIW, Yuvi is the vice captain of the Indian side in Pak right now, since Viru is injured.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

TIF
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    That's a bit of an overstatement for a player who has trouble keeping his place in the playing XI, don't you think?

Most likely Sehwag will succeed Dravid as captain. I would like captain with a better 'cricketing brain' than Sehwag, but I am not sure who else in the Indian team would qualify.

Certainly, SRT has the brain but his age is almost as much as Dravid, and they will likely retire soon after one-another.

So after that, my money is on Sehwag. There is virtually no one else with a set place in the XI that's would even be considered.

But this discussion is a couple years away, so maybe someone will come out of nowhere.
    Overstatement?

Kaif, has been very impressive in his captaincy till now.

It was Kaif, who was made the captain of India seniors in absence of Ganguly in the Challengers Trophy.
    It was Kaif, who captainied India u-19s to a world cup win in 2000.
    It was Kaif, who captained Uttar Pradesh to their 1st ever Ranji Trophy triumph this year.

Just 1 bad series does not tell about a player. Even Dravid, Tendulkar or even Ponting have had a few bad patches, that doesnt make them bad.

I would be tipping Kaif to be the next Indian captain once Dravid retires and I feel that after the 2007 World cup, Kaif should be made the ODI captain.

In my opinion, Kaif is clearly the best captain in the Indian team right now, even better than Dravid. Dravid is only more experienced and has a secure position and commands the respect of the entire team. As long as Kaif can remain a regular in this team, he should be the next captain without doubt. Not only is he a spirited leader, but he leads by example in the field and with the bat.

kaif really dosent have the flair that great captains require and since he is in and out of the team like silent said he isnt so awe inspiring and i dont think he could command the respect of his players. Those bushy eyebrows and outspoken demeanor dosent help and although he might posess an impressive cricketing brain IMO i dont believe he can be a captain of an indian side being overrun by hooligans with bushes on their head like munaf patel. With laxman being pipped by a younger dashing yuvraj we all know where the indian selectors are heading towards. Soon we will see the the last of classy wristy shots employed by the likes of Dravid and laxman and in is the harrowing untamed likes of dhoni. Who can command such a side. Who can manifest and harness these rogues. It can only be one of them. Someone who can adapt and learn quicly under proper guidance. Someone dashing but respectable. Thee name shall be Ifran Pathan
    I dont like cricket oh no i love it ah ha

District Cricket Stats
    Batting: M=38, I=62, Average=77, 100s=31, 50s=18, Hs=162*
    Bowling: Wickets=17, Average=57, 5w=0, 10w=0

International Vice-Captain 33/3from3.3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TIF
    I cant understand this meaning of the "AAAS" we have here. .
    Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society
    Duh
    Maria - Due December

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    "So this is what it feels like to be on top of a batsmen".
    RIP Fardin Qayummi - 15th April 2006

Quote Originally Posted by krishneelz
    kaif really dosent have the flair that great captains require and since he is in and out of the team like silent said he isnt so awe inspiring and i dont think he could command the respect of his players. Those bushy eyebrows and outspoken demeanor dosent help and although he might posess an impressive cricketing brain IMO i dont believe he can be a captain of an indian side being overrun by hooligans with bushes on their head like munaf patel. With laxman being pipped by a younger dashing yuvraj we all know where the indian selectors are heading towards. Soon we will see the the last of classy wristy shots employed by the likes of Dravid and laxman and in is the harrowing untamed likes of dhoni. Who can command such a side. Who can manifest and harness these rogues. It can only be one of them. Someone who can adapt and learn quicly under proper guidance. Someone dashing but respectable. Thee name shall be Ifran Pathan
    Man, what is it with bushy eyebrows and bushy heads ... is that the best way to judge an Indian cricketer?

damn straight. Nah just kidding. Kaif could be good but i reckon we need more of an attacking captain maybe in the mould of sehwag.

Although Kaif might seem like a nice guy and Sehwag like an explosive machine with the way he bats, I can bet you anything that's not how they would captain. I don't want an overweight man setting an example for Team India.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by TIF
    Overstatement?

Kaif, has been very impressive in his captaincy till now.

It was Kaif, who was made the captain of India seniors in absence of Ganguly in the Challengers Trophy.
    It was Kaif, who captainied India u-19s to a world cup win in 2000.
    It was Kaif, who captained Uttar Pradesh to their 1st ever Ranji Trophy triumph this year.

Just 1 bad series does not tell about a player. Even Dravid, Tendulkar or even Ponting have had a few bad patches, that doesnt make them bad.

I would be tipping Kaif to be the next Indian captain once Dravid retires and I feel that after the 2007 World cup, Kaif should be made the ODI captain.
    How about 4 bad series now?? Thank God, Yuvraj Singh has gone up the ladder and he will lead India in both forms cricket some day.
    Rohit Sharma is the most hyped cricketer ever...

I like India's chances at the world cup I do.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information